Player Discussion What to do with Maroon?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
pretty sure he showed this in regular season too. 14pts in 16GP which included 8G.
in 2014-15 he had 34pts in 71GP.

I can admit he did show well last year. Point taken. However I am leaving out the AHL/junior scoring as, well, we know that doesn't just translate directly to the NHL (see: prospects, 99% of them)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I can admit he did show well last year. Point taken. However I am leaving out the AHL/junior scoring as, well, we know that doesn't just translate directly to the NHL (see: prospects, 99% of them)

he was also like... +8 or 6 here. he has a solid game.

big bodies can help on draws...puck recovery and just confidence for everyone else.

its amazing to look at our lineup change in a year. unreal.

i also dont like AHL/Junior stats... but what is shows is he has always had the ability to play an O game and score. Hes used to the offense.
That is an important point to remember. He is actually used to succeeding offenively

he is not a coke machine

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

fair enough.. just stating a point that he has been more than just a scrub offensively pre NHL. He is not a Gazdic (goon) or a Pakarinen (checker) but has been leading his minor teams offensively.

40pts pace this season really isnt out of reach for him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm super happy he's playing well, but the nick name "Fat Balloon" would have been perfect for him had he stayed overweight and sucking.

XD

I guess Pat Falloon gets to keep it.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm super happy he's playing well, but the nick name "Fat Balloon" would have been perfect for him had he stayed overweight and sucking.
XD
I guess Pat Falloon gets to keep it.

He might steal Lucic's thunder.. crowd up in the 200s last night were roooo'ing him.
looo and rooo might get confusing this year.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I saw this in the trade forum and thought you guys might be interested in reading it. ANA fan talking about the Maroon trade:

Maroon was traded because he had a horrible attitude and came into camp way out of shape. Maroon came in to camp with such a bad attitude, they played him on D during one of the scrimmages as a punishment. The change of scenery did him good and I'm happy things are working out. It goes to show he's much more motivated now, since he's dropped close to 20 lbs this offseason. We had guys playing better in our lineup last year than him, plain and simple. The return was exactly what he was worth at the time. He's a fan favorite and some got upset at the move, but it wasn't a bad move.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I saw this in the trade forum and thought you guys might be interested in reading it. ANA fan talking about the Maroon trade:

Maroon was traded because he had a horrible attitude and came into camp way out of shape. Maroon came in to camp with such a bad attitude, they played him on D during one of the scrimmages as a punishment. The change of scenery did him good and I'm happy things are working out. It goes to show he's much more motivated now, since he's dropped close to 20 lbs this offseason. We had guys playing better in our lineup last year than him, plain and simple. The return was exactly what he was worth at the time. He's a fan favorite and some got upset at the move, but it wasn't a bad move.

sounds familiar...

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Maroon is who we wanted Pancakes, I mean, Penner to be. Hard not to love this guy and it's great to see his play from last season carrying into the preseason.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
^^^He actually reminds me a lot of Penner. I think Penner was more skilled but the comparsion is apt.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Maroon is who we wanted Pancakes, I mean, Penner to be. Hard not to love this guy and it's great to see his play from last season carrying into the preseason.

In terms of character, fight, determination, and dedication yes, sure. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Patty to score 30 goals / 60+ points any time soon. I think even eclipsing Penners worst season in copper and blue (17 goals, 37pts) would be considered a huge success for Maroon.

Penner is generally derided by oiler fans simply because he should have been so much more and never really played the power forward game that many expected from a big-framed 6'4 skater. But he was actually a pretty good offensive player on some abysmally bad teams.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
In terms of character, fight, determination, and dedication yes, sure. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Patty to score 30 goals / 60+ points any time soon. I think even eclipsing Penners worst season in copper and blue (17 goals, 37pts) would be considered a huge success for Maroon.

Penner is generally derided by oiler fans simply because he should have been so much more and never really played the power forward game that many expected from a big-framed 6'4 skater. But he was actually a pretty good offensive player on some abysmally bad teams.

Good points.

Maroon hasn't shown quite the same offensive flair as Penner but we need to keep in mind Penner was fed a lot of minutes when he was thrust on our top line. Penner also scored 30 goals only once in his career although he's proved he can pot 20 regularly. Can Maroon score 20? Probably not. Penner is more of a goal scorer.

Penner has a career .5 ppg. Can Maroon hit 40 points? I truly think he is capable of doing so given his play in Edmonton. If he played the minutes Penner did then I think it's possible but it looks like he will be slotted into the third line.

Maroon seems like a late bloomer to me and I think he could do as well as Penner did along with being more of a protypical power forward if he played in the top 6 with pp time. Of course this is just speculation (wishful thinking) on my part.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think its safe to say this guy just clicks with Connor. He's not the most skilled, not a great skater by any means, but he really just "gets it" when he's playing with Connor. Hope after his 2 years are up we can sign him on a decent cheap short term deal to keep him a few years longer. I hope they never move him off Connor's wing.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think its safe to say this guy just clicks with Connor. He's not the most skilled, not a great skater by any means, but he really just "gets it" when he's playing with Connor. Hope after his 2 years are up we can sign him on a decent cheap short term deal to keep him a few years longer. I hope they never move him off Connor's wing.

Our Kris Kunitz?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Our Kris Kunitz?

In a way, yes its starting to look that way. Kunitz was probably the better overall player in his prime even before he got to play with Sid, but so far its hard to argue that he has been the best fit with McDavid. He just plain old produces when they're together. Always seems to know exactly what he needs to do and where he needs to be.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In a way, yes its starting to look that way. Kunitz was probably the better overall player in his prime even before he got to play with Sid, but so far its hard to argue that he has been the best fit with McDavid. He just plain old produces when they're together. Always seems to know exactly what he needs to do and where he needs to be.

The reason I said this McFly is that a player like Maroon will most likely benefit in that role. much like Kunitz. Their production went way up being sidled next to the best player in the world. These are limited players who if they do the one thing they are supposed to can benefit greatly.

On the Ebs front tho I see it like this.

One of the best fits for Crosby has been Hornqvist. But just cuz he plays with Crosby doesn't mean his production doubles or triples. He still is a creator and can carry himself w/ or w/out Crosby.

Same as Ebs. He is a 60-70 point player. Just cuz he plays w/ McD is not gonna change that much, nor is he not a failure cuz he doesn't exceed that.

Crosby couldn't even make Malkin a 150 point player his wing(brief time).

Players like Ebs who can carry themselves are not the ones who benefit from these types of players. Guys like Maroon do however

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The reason I said this McFly is that a player like Maroon will most likely benefit in that role. much like Kunitz. Their production went way up being sidled next to the best player in the world. These are limited players who if they do the one thing they are supposed to can benefit greatly.

One of the best fits for Crosby has been Hornqvist. But just cuz he plays with Crosby doesn't mean his production doubles or triples. He still is a creator and can carry himself w/ or w/out Crosby.

Same as Ebs. He is a 60-70 point player. Just cuz he plays w/ McD is not gonna change that much, nor is he not a failure cuz he doesn't exceed that.

Players like Ebs who can carry themselves are not the ones who benefit from these types of players. Guys like Maroon do however

Yup I agree. We get the biggest difference improvement from Maroon out of any player that plays along-side McDavid. Eberle probably sees a goal scoring increase of about 10 in a full season playing with McDavid, but he could still produce 20-25 goals playing with someone like Nuge. I do think though that you still need to give McDavid one really high end player on one of his wings to do with Maroon. Right now thats Eberle, but in the future its probably Puljujarvi.

Btw, Maroon now has 13 goals and 21 points in 30 games as an Oiler, and only about 12-15 of those games were playing on McDavid's wing. I love Chia for making this trade, and for getting Anaheim to retain 500k. 1.5M for this? What a steal!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yup I agree. We get the biggest difference improvement from Maroon out of any player that plays along-side McDavid. Eberle probably sees a goal scoring increase of about 10 in a full season playing with McDavid, but he could still produce 20-25 goals playing with someone like Nuge. I do think though that you still need to give McDavid one really high end player on one of his wings to do with Maroon. Right now thats Eberle, but in the future its probably Puljujarvi.

Exactly. Sticking him with say 2 Maroons would hurt him. He still needs someone to help him out. Much like that goal Ebs scored last night walking in on the goalie.

He cannot be the only one creating on that line. A double threat takes pressure off him...and Maroon especially

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Kunitz's best season with anaheim was at 26, 25 goals, 35 assists for 60 points. His best season on crosby's wing was a 68 point season, that was the only season he ever scored over 30 goals, he usually got the same 20-25 goals a year w/ Crosby as without. I think you're over stating it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad