Speculation: What to do with JVR?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dunno, I just think about a future first line of....

JVR-Matthews-Marner

and I think, well there is the first line done, will be one of the best in 3 or 4 years. Now we need to build a line around Nylander.

Nylander-Kadri-Brown/Kap ?

We do not have any other wingers in the system like JVR, he is also not easily replaced. If he commands 6-7 mil a year we can afford it and I think our management team are together enough to sign him to a deal that makes sense or cut their losses. Until then why trade in circles? Let's trade JVR for a RHD so now we need a #1 LW.:shakehead

Our team is now in the position of being able to focus almost exclusively on D , I have enough faith in our scouting staff that they can get us one more impact Defender. After that the pieces are in place and we just need to grow into the next phase. Also we need to remember that not all our winger prospects are going to make our top 6 and eventually we may have a spare winger we could put in a trade, we still need time to see what we have before making any major moves IMO.

I think getting Andersen put us a lot closer to being a real team again than some may think but I also think it will be two to three years yet before make the playoffs. If we get there in 3 years I hope Austin has JVR to lean on and to feed passes too.

Something tells me Matthews will like having JVR on the team to learn with, we need to give these guys someone to play with who is not a rookie.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rick Nash never played a very physical game either and he seems to be declining into his 30's..

There's a long list of finesse players who decline in their early 30's. It's becoming more evident that you're at the end of your peak by 30/31. This is why teams are locking up players much younger than they did 15-20 years ago when the belief was that your prime was around 27-32.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad