Speculation: What to do with JVR?

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I wanted to see what leaf fans would like to do with JVR. Should we trade him for more picks or a defenseman? Should we keep him until trade deadline when his contract is almost up? Should we resign him? If so, what do you see him signing with us for?

Personally I would only trade him in a package for RHD that has top pairing potential (not realistic obviously) or flip him at trade deadline when his contract is almost up as a rental.

What does everyone else think?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The weekly question...

You keep unless you get a massive return that would fix more holes because he would leave a big hole in your top 6.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
I wanted to see what leaf fans would like to do with JVR. Should we trade him for more picks or a defenseman? Should we keep him until trade deadline when his contract is almost up? Should we resign him? If so, what do you see him signing with us for?

Personally I would only trade him in a package for RHD that has top pairing potential (not realistic obviously) or flip him at trade deadline when his contract is almost up as a rental.

What does everyone else think?

Plan A: Keep him and resign him at a reasonable contract - if he likes it here I think he'll stay without overpayment.

Plan B: If he has extremely high demands that don't fit with the long term plans trade him sooner to maximize value. Worst case scenario trade him as a rental

Not sure what the cap hit should be but wouldn't want to go over 6 mil/year - he's already at 5. Hopefully a deal like Kadri's + more $$

Mad Brills*

He isn't a UFA for 2 more seasons.

Keep him through this season, and if his ask is crazy next summer, trade him for a lucic like package.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd guess that whether or not we get Stamkos will have a lot to do with the answer to this question.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
1. The only thing we need to trade him for is a big young RHD.
2. We can only protect 3 Defencement in expansion. Rielly Gardiner Carrick.
3. We need big forwards to not get pushed around:

Vesey Stamkos Marner
JVR Matthews Nylander
Komarov Kadri Soshnikov
Greening Laich Hyman

Conclusion: Trade him next offseason, if and only if, One of the prospects are ready to take over his production, and a deal for a big young RHD becomes available.

He should not be traded for a goalie.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
As much potential as we might have in our wing depth, we really have no one who can replace what JVR offers. I'm as big a fan of Marner, Brown, Hyman and Sosh as the next guy, but they're not close to replacing JVR's rare mix of size, skill, and skating. I think people advocating a trade for a RHD don't realize the hole he's going to leave. I think trading him eventually for depth on D makes some sense, but certainly not this season.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
The leafs are in a predicament now where their young core needs to grow together and form a winning environment. It is not easy to be a high draft pick and to be expected to have an immediate impact.

There are a few important pieces of information here that we need to consider:

1) JVR was a #2 pick
2) We lack high end skill on the wing
3) He is signed to a fantastic deal
4) We lack veteran leadership - JVR is a young veteran and a solid mentor

Why do we trade him? We have a very young team and you do not win with draft picks. You may not see JVR as a long term core member but he is certainly a valuable player for us in the here and now both on and off the ice. Our young players could learn a ton from him.

If there is a deal on the table for a #1 D then I wouldn't be upset to part with him. Barring that, JVR is here for the foreseeable future.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I don't think we should trade JVR unless it is a deal that's one sided in our favor. He's the only big body in our top 6 right now ,until Matthews arrives.

JVR has been awesome for us since the first day he became a leaf. To think that all we gave up for this young guy is Luke Schenn still makes me smile :) . JVR is far and away our best LW right now no one else is even close. Love the way this guy plays, always shows up a solid effort. JVR will be a guy who helps teach these young guys how to play the right way. Trading him for help on D is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Making a hole in your lineup to plug a different hole.

I hope to see JVR here for years to come and would love to see him participate in the winning years that seem to be inevitable.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
For some reason i feel like trading him for a dman would be going backwards...

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
For some reason i feel like trading him for a dman would be going backwards...

Unless it's a RHD with top-pairing potential, we need to keep JVR.

Wingers of his ilk will work terrific with our mega-talented youngins.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
One of the things about JVR is he at times, was just a big a floater as Kessel.
He disappears for stretches, and doesn't seem at all interested in 2-way play.

He's always had the skill and talent though and seemed to play better under Babcock, but he seems to get a free pass far too often

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad