Speculation: What to do with JVR?

Ramako

May 16, 2016
JVR is too old for this core, will want a big contract before we can compete, and has the potential to return a top D prospect, which we could really use. I say deal him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Re-sign JVR to a 5-7 year deal. He's a top notch player and a good human being. The kind of player you want on a winning team.

Yeah the thought of having a Vet on the team who can actually score and help bring the kids along while playing with some actual first line talent is lost on many here but apparently not on management. No reason to trade him, we can afford to resign him, not everyone on the team needs to be the same age. Also has a decent track record in the playoffs (how many of our guys have actually been in the playoffs).

Trade Happy Nation should fixate on Bozak because he is the last decent trade chip left, JVR will likely be here awhile yet.

PS we can afford to resign him and people who just arbitrarily decide he will command more than he is worth are grasping.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Nothing wrong with signing him at something like 5.25x5 once his contract is up. Anything north of $6m is too much IMO. He's proven to be far more reliable and consistent than Lupul. Like Bozak, he's proven he can still produce without Kessel.

No need to throw him away for picks and prospects, like this board thinks we should always do with every single player. He's got skill, size, and isn't afraid to stand in front of the net.

He could probably be had for less than FA money if the Leafs get in there early in the 17-18 season with an extension.

It does depend on this coming season's performance though. He'll have to prove it, much like Kadri had to prove it last sesason. But he was our top PPG player prior to his injury (and still was tops when averaged out by the end of the season). You don't just throw players like that away.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
You keep him for next year give him all the chances to be successful. Power play, top line,
Good ice time etc.

Then next July 1st you start the negotiations and you get a feel of what he wants as a contract.
We have a whole year to do this before anyone else can so we should absolutely know
What we will have to pay to sign him.

If it is within the scope of where your going as a team you sign him.

If it's too much you find out what his trade value is and you move from there

There is no rush to get rid of him now.

His play and his contract discussions will decide if he has a place on the leafs
In the future.

This management team is going to make you earn the privilege of playing for this team.

Entitlement is now a thing of the past.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, keep him this year, but approach him with an extension after next year.

If he doesn't sign, shop him and get a decent return, like lucic got.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think I'd set my personal "futures" price on moving JVR now as
2x1st from a playoff team + our choice of their top 3* prospects. Future picks playoff protected but a conditional 3rd if they make the final.
*Subject to negotiation, some might not have a single good enough prospect, some might have a guy that's too good.

There are many other "hockey" trades that could be made

"Future picks playoff protected" .....? Maybe describe the specifics on how this would work, and an example of a recent trade that is comparable?

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
JVR is not too old for this core. He's right in the wheelhouse; a great example of a young veteran 1st liner.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nothing wrong with signing him at something like 5.25x5 once his contract is up. Anything north of $6m is too much IMO. He's proven to be far more reliable and consistent than Lupul. Like Bozak, he's proven he can still produce without Kessel.

No need to throw him away for picks and prospects, like this board thinks we should always do with every single player. He's got skill, size, and isn't afraid to stand in front of the net.

He could probably be had for less than FA money if the Leafs get in there early in the 17-18 season with an extension.

It does depend on this coming season's performance though. He'll have to prove it, much like Kadri had to prove it last sesason. But he was our top PPG player prior to his injury (and still was tops when averaged out by the end of the season). You don't just throw players like that away.
I guarantee you aren't getting jvr on a 5x5.25 type of contract. Just take a look at what happened this past July 1st. That's what a 30 year old andrew Ladd got (the same cap hit roughly with more years).

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
For all the comments about James being soft and a floater, last year we saw a different JVR. He was definitely more engaged in the new system and I think Babs has big visions for him. Having said that we have nothing to worry about, we either sign him (I'd rather have JVR than KO) or address another need by trading him with a year left.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
JVR is not too old for this core. He's right in the wheelhouse; a great example of a young veteran 1st liner.

Yeah, sure he is..... right now. However, we are not ready to be solid contenders right now. In Two years, he will be 29, and people are talking about giving him a 7 year deal? No thanks.

Love JVR, but the odds he is the same guy between 33-36 are slim. Those would be the last 4 years on a 7 year term.

I don't think we need an aging winger getting paid 6+ when we have a plethora of wingers, although bit light on the left side, not the hardest problem to solve.

He is also imo, the only piece we have that could land us something big. (Without our prospects)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
A new NHL reality.

Year after year we do see even Chicago(Saad,Boland) lose players they just can't keep(Lucic). My gut says he plays 2 years well here, demands more than Toronto can commit and signs a Lucic type deal where he never plays as well again.Our money will one day be tied into Mathews,Marner,Nylander,Reilly etc. The only way he stays is if he chooses to because 6 to 7 years is too long for us.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Not sure why people saying JVR is doomed to decline in his early 30s, he's not a typical power forward with a demanding physical game, he's a large skill winger with good hands.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Not sure why people saying JVR is doomed to decline in his early 30s, he's not a typical power forward with a demanding physical game, he's a large skill winger with good hands.

We all know this.

7 year deal signs him till 36. (Bday in May, close enough)

Nobody is worried about JVR in his early 30s.... Do you think we are signing him to a 4 year deal?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd prefer to keep JVR, I'm not envisioning his physical decline in his early 30s, and if you look at this history of the player, he missed a lot of time in his early years and has way less physical mileage on him compared to his draft peers (i.e. has 200 plus fewer regular season NHL games than Patrick Kane).

That said, I wonder how a JVR for Trouba proposal would go? I strongly dislike having any conversations with Winnipeg Jets fans, but JVR could be a nice replacement for Andrew Ladd, and they seem to be getting nowhere trying to re-sign Trouba.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Rick Nash never played a very physical game either and he seems to be declining into his 30's..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Love jvr, hope he's on this team for a long time.

Like the Blackhawks, and now the Lightning (Stamkos,Hedman,7 years to Killorn,soon to be Kucherov), identify the 5-7 members you want to commit to as the core/foundation of the team. This is a big year for JVR, to determine the way forward.

Mad Brills*

Offer him an extension next summer and if he doesn't take it, shop him.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Like the Blackhawks, and now the Lightning (Stamkos,Hedman,7 years to Killorn,soon to be Kucherov), identify the 5-7 members you want to commit to as the core/foundation of the team. This is a big year for JVR, to determine the way forward.

JVR I believe is in the top 25 for goals per game in the NHL since joining the Leafs.

He also showed under Babcock last year that he can play an elite possession style and be committed to the two-way game.

IMO he needs to be a part of this core moving forward, forwards with his unique skill set should be kept.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Definitely lock him up. We traded way too many good players away. JVR is still fairly young. He was 26, he just turned 27 a little while ago... freaking theres a draft for a reason, start drafting defense. Could of traded up to grab Chychrun/Day, but we didn't, there gonna want to prove themselves for slipping, two good picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad