Olympics: What Swedes would crack Team Canada?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I dont know what Pronger thinks but when you COMPARE them against Canada´s centers they loose almost at any category. Of course Henrik is premier playmaker, but what else? Below-average goal scoring touch etc... Thornton is same when not better playmaker, Getzlaf is stronger, Crosby.. And Sedins have no playoff success, Daniel as a Canadian wing? With ten seasons and career best 36 and only one another season with more than 30...no, no.. :shakehead
Only thing is that they play together whole life. Nothing else against Canada´s duo´s, centers and wings.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I dont know what Pronger thinks but when you COMPARE them against Canada´s centers they loose almost at any category. Of course Henrik is premier playmaker, but what else? Below-average goal scoring touch etc... Thornton is same when not better playmaker, Getzlaf is stronger, Crosby.. And Sedins have no playoff success, Daniel as a Canadian wing? With ten seasons and career best 36 and only one another season with more than 30...no, no.. :shakehead
Only thing is that they play together whole life. Nothing else against Canada´s duo´s, centers and wings.

I could understand some arguments for not having Henrik Sedin on the team but your arguments are laughable.

Thornton is the best playmaking centre of them all but Sedin is ahead of both Richards and Getzlaf in that department. Then how much playoff succes have Richards, Thornton? Atleast the Sedins already have an olympic gold. And as for Henrik being below-average scoring touch.

Sedin 21
Thornton 13
Richards 19
Getzlaf 12

Jupp, he is sub-par in that department:sarcasm:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Do you know where you make mistake?
You think Sedin will crack team Canada against Getzlaf or Richards. And that´s wrong.
Sedin is first or second liner scoring (better playmaking) center and he will not fit in the role of centering third or fourth line like Getzlaf or Richards. And Thornton or Crosby are lock against him.
That is my point.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
You think Sedin will crack team Canada against Getzlaf or Richards. And that´s wrong.
Sedin is first or second liner scoring center and he will not fit in the role of centering third or fourth line like Getzlaf or Richards. And Thornton or Crosby are lock against him.
That is my point.

Sedin is an olympic champion as a thirdliner but whatever you say man :laugh:

Fork

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sedin is first or second liner scoring (better playmaking) center and he will not fit in the role of centering third or fourth line like Getzlaf or Richards. And Thornton or Crosby are lock against him.
That is my point.

why cant sedin center the 3rd/4th line? didnt he center sweden's 3rd line in the 2006 olympics and won gold?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Cause Canada has another philosophy of making lines.
Euro nations didnt make a grind lines. They just take the best and then make a team. Canada choose players as they fit in their role on team and has such depth that could do it.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Euro nations didnt make a grind lines. They just take the best and then make a team. Canada choose players as they fit in their role on team and has such depth that could do it.
... and then they end up 7th?

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
@begbeee

They lose in almost every category? what? Do you even watch them play? They're better than most of Canadas forwards. Let's just look at the sharks who were picked for chemistry....

Thornton is a better playmaker and a no show when the pressures on who doesn't shoot enough. Heatley can't play defense and while he's a better sniper he isn't even as good all around offensively. Marleau isn't as good offensively. Sedins have better chemistry than that line and are more consistent than every player on it.

No playoff success? Only heatley has playoff success on that line.... and he's easily the weakest link of it. Whats the difference between the sedins and ALL the other forwards on team canada? They have Olympic success.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I guess that's why players such as Samuel PÃ¥hlsson, P.J. Axelsson and Homer made the team...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah, someone could name it "tactical loose".
But still sad that you accept when your team tank. :p:
Way to go way, way off topic. If you want to start another thread, go ahead, or just dig up one of the old ones on the same topic with the search function.

Last edited:

Dado

Sedin is an olympic champion as a thirdliner but whatever you say man :laugh:

Why the laughter? Two days ago the Sedins went head-to-head with the top Canadian and top Russian and smoked 'em both.

I really really really hope Team Canada players and management don't have the same exaggerated sense of over confidence shown by our fan base, because if they do, this will be a very humiliating tournament.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Yes of course strategical vision in team building is really unknown to Europe. :shakehead

Its like stating: Euro nations just stack people who are good in the same line, but Canada, they have cunningly calculated with chemistry too when they build the lines.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Why the laughter? Two days ago the Sedins went head-to-head with the top Canadian and top Russian and smoked 'em both.

I really really really hope Team Canada players and management don't have the same exaggerated sense of over confidence shown by our fan base, because if they do, this will be a very humiliating tournament.

What are exactly are you going at sir? He was making silly arguments so I answered him and a laugh was pretty fitting there actually.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
You all are Sweden, of course you are proud of Sedins Brothers. You see them better than they are. You are biased. Accept different point of view.

Berglund1313

May 22, 2008
Sweden
You all are Sweden, of course you are proud of Sedins Brothers. You see them better than they are. You are biased. Accept different point of view.

Why would we see them better then what they are ? you just make yourself look stupid when go in and argue that all swedes are crap and why they tank etc and the fact is the sedins still have Olympic gold and Henrik is point leader in NHL .

Tumsh

Jun 26, 2007

A very good argument can be made for the Sedins cracking the Canadian roster. Likewise, a very good argument can be made for why they shouldn't. Though that doesn't mean a lot of Swedes see them as better than they are (though I think some do). Rather that their point of how to build the team would be different.

Other than that, I think Alfie would have been a good pick as a veteran presence (assuming that maybe he had played for them and done well before).
I think Zetterberg would be a really good addition, possibly on the wing, but still. He could balance out a strong scoring line and keep the defensive side of the game intact, or he could play in more of a shut-down role.
I also think Lundqvist would be there. Probably not a starter, but he would compete with Luongo for 2nd string.
I wouldn't bring Backstrom. I'd say it's one or two years too early for him to crack the Canadian roster against people like Crosby and Thornton (and possibly H.Sedin :naughty:).
Similar to Alfie, if Lidstrom had been a Canadian, you know he would have represented them plenty of times already, and I think he would have taken Nei-too-tired-to-look-up-his-spelling-meier's spot.
And, that's it I think.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
A very good argument can be made for the Sedins cracking the Canadian roster. Likewise, a very good argument can be made for why they shouldn't. Though that doesn't mean a lot of Swedes see them as better than they are (though I think some do). Rather that their point of how to build the team would be different.

Other than that, I think Alfie would have been a good pick as a veteran presence (assuming that maybe he had played for them and done well before).
I think Zetterberg would be a really good addition, possibly on the wing, but still. He could balance out a strong scoring line and keep the defensive side of the game intact, or he could play in more of a shut-down role.
I also think Lundqvist would be there. Probably not a starter, but he would compete with Luongo for 2nd string.
I wouldn't bring Backstrom. I'd say it's one or two years too early for him to crack the Canadian roster against people like Crosby and Thornton (and possibly H.Sedin :naughty:).
Similar to Alfie, if Lidstrom had been a Canadian, you know he would have represented them plenty of times already, and I think he would have taken Nei-too-tired-to-look-up-his-spelling-meier's spot.
And, that's it I think.
1. agree
2. Zetterberg good chances, but sure not lock
3. Agree. I said it before.
4. Agree. Same opinion.

Why would we see them better then what they are? You just make yourself look stupid when go in and argue that all swedes are crap and why they tank etc and the fact is the sedins still have Olympic gold and Henrik is point leader in NHL .
1. Oh my god, I never said that all Swedes are crap, you are gold contenders! I only said that not very many guys from swedish roster would make a canadian team and I also think Ludnqvist would be probably lock for #2.
2. Cause you TANKed in the game against Slovakia, as I said somebody could it name "tactical loose". Switzerland is always a better opponent than Czechs.
3. That´s your only argument. Look, I give you an example. Long time ago Richard Zednik was during quarter or third of the season in NHL SCORING TOP 10. Would he made canadian team? No. Would he made Swedish national team that time? No. You just look at him as a leading scorer and cause you are sweden you think it is lock for him he is the best in NHL from scorers. Anze Kopitar led NHL in scoring in November I think for a mont (similary like Sedin). Would he make a canadian team? No.

Snauen*

It should be the other way around. "What Canadians would crack team Sweden?". I would say Dan Boyle and maybe Iginla as an agitator on the 4th-line. The rest are not talented enough.
Cindy Crosby ,Ryanne Clowe, Jody Shelley, Guillaume Latennedress and some of the others might find a spot on the womens NT-team though.

skipole

Professional Cynic
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone who thinks the Sedins wouldn't make Team Canada at this point is kidding themselves. They are 1st and 2nd in the NHL in ES points and 2nd and 3rd in PPG. They're defensively responsible and already own Olympic gold. They'll also both be playing on their home rink, which has to make them feel more comfortable. Henrik would be an absolute lock and Daniel would be a "most likely."

Nash-Crosby-Staal
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Sedin-Sedin-Iginla
Zetterberg-Getzlaf-Alfredsson
M. Richards

Niedermeyer-Pronger
Lidstrom-Weber
Keith-Boyle
Doughty

Brodeur
Luongo
Lundqvist