Olympics: What Swedes would crack Team Canada?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
QUITE a few I'm thinking. Off the top of my head, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Lidstrom. I know I'm missing a lot.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Most certainly not the NHL's leading scorer. Most certainly not two of the top four in Points Per Game this year in NHL. Most certainly not.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Most certainly not the NHL's leading scorer. Most certainly not two of the top four in Points Per Game this year in NHL. Most certainly not.

The Sedins aren't first liners yet. They would only succeed if they were on Canada's 3rd line where they weren't facing the other teams top defenders every night. :sarcasm:

On a serious note.

(Locks)
D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Nicklas Lidström
Henrik Lundqvist

Stong candidates:

Nicklas Bäckström
Daniel Alfredsson

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much those seven mentioned would have the chance. Maybe Franzen if healthy, I dunno?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
(Locks)
D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Nicklas Lidström
Henrik Lundqvist

Stong candidates:

Nicklas Bäckström
Daniel Alfredsson

Mikael Samuelsson

On a serious note, would a healthy Franzen make Canada?

Kronwall?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i think Alfie would be the Bergeron or St Louis of the team cause his Hockey IQ is amazing

Zetterberg + the Sedins + Lidstrom + Lundqvist would make it too or could easily replace anyone in the top 6/ top 4

also Backstrom is pretty awesome too

If Yzerman wants "two way" players then i would say Zetterberg, Listrom and Alfie would be on team canada as well as Lundqvist in nets.

huge*

mats-sundin.jpg

STAALing

Aug 30, 2006
That might just be me, but the Sedins don't make my team Canada. You're not gonna play them 4th line and I'd rather have Getzlaf-Perry on the 3rd.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
That might just be me, but the Sedins don't make my team Canada. You're not gonna play them 4th line and I'd rather have Getzlaf-Perry on the 3rd.

:shakehead The leading scorer in the NHL wouldn't make team Canada :laugh: also Daniel Sedin would be 3 rd In Scoring if he wasn't injured,the Sedin's are also pretty good two way players

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
:shakehead The leading scorer in the NHL wouldn't make team Canada :laugh: also Daniel Sedin would be 3 rd In Scoring if he wasn't injured,the Sedin's are also pretty good two way players
The 7th leading scorer in the league didn't and I think he's a more versatile player than both of the Sedins

(Brad Richards obv.)

I would say Zetterberg and Lundqvist are locks, Lidstrom would likely make it as well.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Definitely Zetterberg. Very probably Lidstrom. Not much else though. A case could be made for Lundqvist.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The 7th leading scorer in the league didn't and I think he's a more versatile player than both of the Sedins

(Brad Richards obv.)

I would say Zetterberg and Lundqvist are locks, Lidstrom would likely make it as well.

1 in league scoring >7 th in league scoring,if the Sedin's played for the Leafs he would be a lock for team Canada.

fedlibs

Jul 18, 2009

(Brad Richards obv.)

The Sedins used to play as third line penalty killers during the WCE era. Also, in recent years, they have been the 2nd best duo +/- wise in the NHL, under only Zetterberg/Datsyuk in Detroit. IMO they could play checking line or 4th line if placed there.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
With Canada's depth, Henrik Sedin would make it, Daniel probably wouldn't. Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Lidstrom would be locks given their respective resumes, and Backstrom would be a bubble player with Daniel Sedin. Franzen would garner attention, but with the injury and all the other strong candidates, like Daniel, I would think he would be on the outside looking in. Lundqvist would be compete for the 2-3 spot, because I think it's Brodeur's to lose, and I'd probably have him over Fleury.

Pretty good question, it's fun and interesting to imagine how we (from a Canadian's perspective) would perceive players of other nationalities if they had been involved with Hockey Canada in international events throughout their careers. That's why I would think that guys like Alfredsson and Zetterberg would be locks, because they would have played, and probably played important roles, in past olympics and other events, and they are also still right at or near their primes. Their injuries could be overlooked...Backstrom, Franzen and Daniel Sedin would probably only be involved in their first Olympics with Canada which is why I think they'd be left out. Obviously, that's no offense to any of those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad