Olympics: What Swedes would crack Team Canada?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
As a defensive defenceman and regarding over all game, Lidstrom is still one of the very best.

The "video-guy" who used to work in Detroit, but is in San Jose now got a question from Murray.

It was if they showed Lidstrom making mistakes while he was in Detroit.

His answer was that they had to really struggle to find even one sequence every season to show.

Granted, this was a few years back since he's been with SJ for a couple of years (?) now.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Lidstrom scored his 2nd goal of the year tonight, he wouldnt make it this year. I think just Zetterberg,Lundqvist and Henrik Sedin.

I agree with Lidstrom. Team Canada is this year built on performance this season, not on the players history, as in Turin. Lidstrom would not make it.

But I disagree that Daniel Sedin wouldn't make it. Team Canada got focus on chemistry this year and only taking one Sedin and still saying that chemistry is important is... wrong? Besides Daniel got better PPG than Daniel (which people seems to forget when they exclude him), so he is far from a liability.

It is a bit troublesome that I can't say that even one D-man in team Sweden would make team Canada. On the other hand there are 5 forwards which I could consider (not locks all of them, but who could make it).

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
I agree with Lidstrom. Team Canada is this year built on performance this season, not on the players history, as in Turin. Lidstrom would not make it.

But I disagree that Daniel Sedin wouldn't make it. Team Canada got focus on chemistry this year and only taking one Sedin and still saying that chemistry is important is... wrong? Besides Daniel got better PPG than Daniel (which people seems to forget when they exclude him), so he is far from a liability.

It is a bit troublesome that I can't say that even one D-man in team Sweden would make team Canada. On the other hand there are 5 forwards which I could consider (not locks all of them, but who could make it).

I assume you mean that Daniel has a better PPG than Henrik?

if so, that's incorrect... Henrik's PPG is at 1.36... while Daniel's is at 1.28...

Ovechkin leads the league in PPG at 1.5.... Henrik is 2nd... Daniel is 3rd (barely, with Thornton at 1.27).

Also, Lidstrom is a shoe-in to make this team... only reason why Niedermayer is on the team is because of his resume, he just hasn't been one of the top Canadian dmen in the league this year... why would you leave Lidstrom off then, since his resume is even better?

The only forwards I see making it would be Zetterberg and the Sedins.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I assume you mean that Daniel has a better PPG than Henrik?

if so, that's incorrect... Henrik's PPG is at 1.36... while Daniel's is at 1.28...

Ovechkin leads the league in PPG at 1.5.... Henrik is 2nd... Daniel is 3rd (barely, with Thornton at 1.27).

Also, Lidstrom is a shoe-in to make this team... only reason why Niedermayer is on the team is because of his resume, he just hasn't been one of the top Canadian dmen in the league this year... why would you leave Lidstrom off then, since his resume is even better?

The only forwards I see making it would be Zetterberg and the Sedins.

Perhaps I have old stats, I was actually sure about it. Anyway they should make it both because of the Chemistry.

Zetterberg and Bäckström too (Alfredsson so and so), but it is all about how to build the team, not just individual stats.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Perhaps I have old stats, I was actually sure about it. Anyway they should make it both because of the Chemistry.

Zetterberg and Bäckström too (Alfredsson so and so), but it is all about how to build the team, not just individual stats.

exactly, which is why I don't see Alfredsson or Backstrom make it.

Backstrom would have to beat out Crosby (not going to happen), break up the Thornton line which has had all sorts of chemistry, break up Getzlaf and Perry, or push the Sedins off the roster. Chemistry wise he is not a fit, if you're going to consider using the Sedins on the team... now if we're talking how makes Team Russia, Backstrom has more of a chance.

And same with Alfredsson... again you don't break up the Getzlaf/Perry unit, nor the Sharks line... so that leaves him either beating out Iginla or jumping into the 4th line, and I don't think he does either, again when you're trying to build the best team to win.

Iginla is a beast still despite his recent struggles, and has had chemistry already with Crosby and Nash... especially in a tournament on NHL ice, I'd rather keep that strength he brings.

And the 4th line already is setup to have those intangibles addressed - with Bergeron there because not only is the best right handed faceoff guy on the team, but the only good right handed faceoff guy on the team.

I see Zetterberg replacing Staal on the team... the Sedins replacing Morrow and one of Richards and Toews - keep the other one for defensive intangibles, but the Sedins bring you more chemistry.

don't see any other Swedish forward making the team.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
exactly, which is why I don't see Alfredsson or Backstrom make it.

Backstrom would have to beat out Crosby (not going to happen), break up the Thornton line which has had all sorts of chemistry, break up Getzlaf and Perry, or push the Sedins off the roster. Chemistry wise he is not a fit, if you're going to consider using the Sedins on the team... now if we're talking how makes Team Russia, Backstrom has more of a chance.

And same with Alfredsson... again you don't break up the Getzlaf/Perry unit, nor the Sharks line... so that leaves him either beating out Iginla or jumping into the 4th line, and I don't think he does either, again when you're trying to build the best team to win.

Iginla is a beast still despite his recent struggles, and has had chemistry already with Crosby and Nash... especially in a tournament on NHL ice, I'd rather keep that strength he brings.

And the 4th line already is setup to have those intangibles addressed - with Bergeron there because not only is the best right handed faceoff guy on the team, but the only good right handed faceoff guy on the team.

I see Zetterberg replacing Staal on the team... the Sedins replacing Morrow and one of Richards and Toews - keep the other one for defensive intangibles, but the Sedins bring you more chemistry.

don't see any other Swedish forward making the team.

Yes that sounds fair, as it is about cracking team Canada - nice post.

Then again, if it was reversed, which Canadians would crack team Sweden, then there would be similar issues there too, but not as serious ones perhaps. Weinhandl might not be kicked, because of chemistry. Detroit guys would also have a higher resistance against expulsion as they got chemistry with each other, perhaps other stuff to think of as well.

But then again, when it comes to team Sweden one really don't know what parameters are important or not, current fitness, charisma, overall career, chemistry, hair colour are all valid as crucial parameters it seems.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
The answer is pretty simple in my books...

Lundqvist
Lidstrom
Zetterberg
Sedin
Sedin

all make it as locks with Alfredsson as a bubble guy. No one else has a legit shot in my opinion.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
After watching Alfredsson and Heatley play on the same team for 3 years i think someone would be registered as clinically insane if they chose heatley over alfie. It really isnt even remotely close to who is better.

No kidding. In the four seasons Heatley played in Ottawa, Alfredsson posted a better offensive pace in every one except 2006-2007 (where Alfie still put up 87 points and +42 in 77 games).

Given he's miles better at every other facet of the game, and is the NHL's longest serving captain, and given he actually led the gold-medal-winning team in points in 2006, I think Canada would be willing to slot a Canadian Alfredsson in on the fourth line or something.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The answer is pretty simple in my books...

Lundqvist
Lidstrom
Zetterberg
Sedin
Sedin

all make it as locks with Alfredsson as a bubble guy. No one else has a legit shot in my opinion.

A bit though on Backstom, not letting him bubble, but I guess you are a though coach. :)

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
The Sedins aren't first liners yet. They would only succeed if they were on Canada's 3rd line where they weren't facing the other teams top defenders every night. :sarcasm:

On a serious note.

(Locks)
D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Nicklas Lidström
Henrik Lundqvist

Stong candidates:

Nicklas Bäckström
Daniel Alfredsson

Locks? roflmao. There are so many quality players. I would not have the sedin twins on my team canada IF they were eligible.

Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf > H. Sedin
Nash, Heatley, E Staal (projected to be on LW with getzlaf) > D Sedin

The playoff heriocs of Getzlaf, Staal shows that they play in big games. E Staal led his Hurricanes last year to upset the devils. Hes won a cup. And hes on a team that doesnt have a lot of talent. Getzlaf with already a cup showed a lot last year as they JUST lost to Detriot in which detriot said was there hardest series ever. The physical component with skill is huge and in a short tournament are VERY dangerous.

Why dont you see Savard on team Canada? He hasnt shown in big games he can be the guy. Nash, Heatley are both 50+ goal scorers. When has D Sedin scored over 50???

Lidstrom yes a lock.

Zetterberg would be a good 4th line C. But its between Zetterberg/Richards. Really whats the big difference between the two in playing a shutdown role? I think Richards has more short handed goals then zetterberg in the last few years???

Lundqvist over Broduer/Luongo? Maybe #3? over Fleury but Fleury has a cup and stopped lidstrom at the end of game 7. Big saves are key.

Anyways just saying your locks are not really locks if you actually look into why some of these players are there and look at the positions.

RW: Iginla with crosby, Marleau with Thornton (they know eachother), Perry with Getzlaf (they know eachother).

So really the only Lock I see is Lidstrom.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
No way, there are even a few Swedish defensemen I would rank higher than Lidstrom this season.

Are you just looking at his total points, or have you actually watched him?

Sure, he's not the Nick he used to be, but he's still better than 99% of the defenders in the NHL.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Lundqvist over Broduer/Luongo? Maybe #3? over Fleury but Fleury has a cup and stopped lidstrom at the end of game 7. Big saves are key.

Lundqvist has a gold medal. Luongo or Fleury have one of those? Also, Fleury doesn't have a cup. Crosby and Malkin have a cup (Fleury just had a REALLY good seat). :D

Jawbone

Jan 2, 2010
Let's hear them

For starters Edstrom has produced 16 more points this season with as many games played. Kronwall has been injured a lot but he seems fresher than Lidstrom nowadays. Players like Murray or Hjalmarsson are doing great work in top teams.
But sure, when the season is over he will probably be the bona fide #1 amongst swedish defensemen once again.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Nash, Heatley are both 50+ goal scorers. When has D Sedin scored over 50???

Zetterberg would be a good 4th line C. But its between Zetterberg/Richards. Really whats the big difference between the two in playing a shutdown role? I think Richards has more short handed goals then zetterberg in the last few years???

Nash has never topped his pre-lock-out 41.

Also, Richards might have more short-handed goals but Zetterberg has more Finals appearances, Conn Smythes, Cups and Olympic Gold Medals. Incidentally, so does Lundqvist - which is more than you can say for Fleury, albeit he does have a Cup.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Locks? roflmao. There are so many quality players. I would not have the sedin twins on my team canada IF they were eligible.

The playoff heriocs of Getzlaf, Staal shows that they play in big games. E Staal led his Hurricanes last year to upset the devils. Hes won a cup. And hes on a team that doesnt have a lot of talent. Getzlaf with already a cup showed a lot last year as they JUST lost to Detriot in which detriot said was there hardest series ever. The physical component with skill is huge and in a short tournament are VERY dangerous.

Why dont you see Savard on team Canada? He hasnt shown in big games he can be the guy. Nash, Heatley are both 50+ goal scorers. When has D Sedin scored over 50???

Lidstrom yes a lock.

Anyways just saying your locks are not really locks if you actually look into why some of these players are there and look at the positions.

RW: Iginla with crosby, Marleau with Thornton (they know eachother), Perry with Getzlaf (they know eachother).

Yeah, I mean with this cocky arrogant mindset it got us all the way to #6 in Turin and Sweden #1!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Lidstrom yes a lock.

Wow what a bad and uninformed post.

And just for funcy, when did Nash score over 50 goals? :laugh:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Lundqvist would be better #2 than Luongo.
And I think no other would crak Canada.
Big names of the past are cold this time and hot guys of this time have lack of physicall game (they are pu**ies).

Sedin sisters? :-O Richards, Getzlaf or Thornton break them like glass...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Lundqvist would be better #2 than Luongo.
And I think no other would crak Canada.
Big names of the past are cold this time and hot guys of this time have lack of physicall game (they are pu**ies).

Sedin sisters? :-O Richards, Getzlaf or Thornton break them like glass...

If they are so easy to break, how come one of them leads the NHL in points and a guy like Pronger said they were among the strongest players in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad