What should be done?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
and look where it got them...maybe the worst team organizationally from top to bottom in the NHL :laugh:

and that was before he proved that he was a legit top 5 goalie and was signed long term.

his value has only gone up since that trade.

So trading Schneider for a good young center literally made them maybe the worst team organizationally from top to bottom in the NHL? Talk about the need for a laugh emoji.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'd consider trading Schneider if we're getting a stud blueliner in return. As much as I like Cory, I've never considered the position of netminder to be that important if we have a capable blueline to shut down a counter attack.

There's several goaltenders that are now viewed as borderline elite when they were viewed as trash just a couple of years ago.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I'd consider trading Schneider if we're getting a stud blueliner in return. As much as I like Cory, I've never considered the position of netminder to be that important if we have a capable blueline to shut down a counter attack.

There's several goaltenders that are now viewed as borderline elite when they were viewed as trash just a couple of years ago.

It seems counter-productive for a team to acquire a stud goalie while parting with a stud defender. I just don't see that happening.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So trading Schneider for a good young center literally made them maybe the worst team organizationally from top to bottom in the NHL? Talk about the need for a laugh emoji.

Thats not really what I meant.

The way they handled their goalie situation certainly DID play a part in where they are now, however. They had 2 elite goalies on the roster and didn't get much of a great return.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Any way to pry William Nylander away? He's back up on the top line for them, but was on the 4th line for a while.

the price would be ridiculously high, even if toronto was open to dealing him...and i'd bet my left nut they aren't open to it

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It seems counter-productive for a team to acquire a stud goalie while parting with a stud defender. I just don't see that happening.

A team like the Jets, who have a abundance of blueliners might consider such a move. If we can't land a d-man, it would have to be a bonefide center.

I wouldn't push him out the door but would entertain offers.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If Shero traded Cory, I'm confident he would get a good return. One area where I have faith in Shero is his trading skills. Cory is one of our biggest assets, so Shero would only make a trade if it was the right one. I'm not saying Shero has to trade Cory but if he did, I wouldn't be worried about the return.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Thats not really what I meant.

The way they handled their goalie situation certainly DID play a part in where they are now, however. They had 2 elite goalies on the roster and didn't get much of a great return.

That's because goalies just don't have the trade value that everyone wants them to have. There are simply too many capable ones and they are not that hard to find yet people here keep wanting to think that Schneider has/will make a major difference for us. His win % isn't even as good as Kinkaid's during his time here playing in front of the same mostly lousy teams. And I'm NOT trying to imply that KK is a better goalie since that is the likely response to this.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not sure why you'd look at win % for a goalie when a goalie is literally only responsible in half of that equation

but we've been over this before so no sense in beating a dead horse.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure why you'd look at win % for a goalie when a goalie is literally only responsible in half of that equation

but we've been over this before so no sense in beating a dead horse.

But playing behind the same team, one would expect the far better goalie to have the far better win %. I think it does point to the diminished importance of elite goal tending, or maybe, just the closing of the gap between elite goal tending and average goal tending.

Prior to this year what Cory did show was consistent high level of play. You see goalies get hot for a year or even 2 then fade off to oblivion. And that does count for a lot. GM's want to know a spot is locked up.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
But playing behind the same team, one would expect the far better goalie to have the far better win %. I think it does point to the diminished importance of elite goal tending, or maybe, just the closing of the gap between elite goal tending and average goal tending.

Prior to this year what Cory did show was consistent high level of play. You see goalies get hot for a year or even 2 then fade off to oblivion. And that does count for a lot. GM's want to know a spot is locked up.

Or that teams tend to avoid playing their backups against the better teams in the league.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I figured it would be apparent to us here, given the amount of backup goalies that have been started against us over the last ~3 years :laugh:

Touche, but it could also help prove my point about goalies in general (i.e. most of them are just really good)....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why does Kinkaid have a better winning percentage than Cory over the last few years? Smaller sample size says hello.

Not to mention generally easier competition and we've absolutely won more games in spite of Kinkaid than we've won with Cory. Just think back to last year's Nashville game in March. When Kinkaid allowed a couple bad goals and an absolute stinker with minutes left in regulation. We then tied it and won in OT. That's just one example of a game like that, as there's been quite a few.

Kinkaid probably has half as many wins when allowing 3 or more goals as Cory does in the last 3 years and Cory has played a bazillion more games.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What if we got back a league average starter + a 1st round in the 15-20 range/pretty good prospect?

Only way I trade Schneider is for Hellebuyck + Connor/Dano or another one of the Jets young forwards.

Where we're at now, the only thing better than having Schneider would be having a young goalie that can develop into an top goalie in a few years when the team will get better. Unless we get that, I would hold onto Schneider

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Only way I trade Schneider is for Hellebuyck + Connor/Dano or another one of the Jets young forwards.

Where we're at now, the only thing better than having Schneider would be having a young goalie that can develop into an top goalie in a few years when the team will get better. Unless we get that, I would hold onto Schneider

At the time of the Blackwood draft I always thought that a possbility of trading Schneids down the road was part of it.

Of coarse we picked another goalie this past draft as well.

We've talked of the time line, and it's hard to ignore the disjointed nature of a 30 yr old elite goalie playing on a lottery team.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Only way you trade Cory is for a haul.

Replacement goalie + 1st round pick + top prospect/young player already in NHL.

He could easily get that too. Guys like Martin Jones got a 1st. Frederik Andersen got a 1st + 2nd.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Only way you trade Cory is for a haul.

Replacement goalie + 1st round pick + top prospect/young player already in NHL.

He could easily get that too. Guys like Martin Jones got a 1st. Frederik Andersen got a 1st + 2nd.

My personal bias aside, I'm not so sure about that. Those guys were younger and much cheaper at the time of those trades. That does play into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad