What should be done?

kiwidevil

I think Hynes has a free reign. Shero knows the roster is far from complete, and at least the main guys will know how to play the uptempo style he wants. The problem is the new and potentially young Dmen we need, can be very exposed and damaged trying the learn it, especially if they are new to the NHL.

I think Shero is not really concerned with results at this stage. They all know this team has a long way to go. So he wants to keep his guys in, and keep as much cap space as possible.

I just hope he isn't being hamstrung by ownership in terms of budgeting when the time comes to advance the plan.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It's a top 5 pick at the moment. The more I see of Nico Hischier, the more I like him. He's fun and creative and seems intense. Lilligren is the only bonafide A+ dman, right?

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
KEEP: Hall, Rico, Zacha, Zajac, Woods, Fiddler, JJ, Lappin

Greene, Severson, Lovejoy

TRADE: Cammo, Palmieri, PAP, Cory < hard one. You shoudl get a 1 and a few seconds. I would get a first in 2018.

Waive: JJ, Gazdic,

Acquire: I would take Jagr back because of his habits, Patrick Berglund, Brendan Smith

Hall - Zajac - Woods
Rico - Berglund - Lappin
JJ - Zacha - Boucher
Q - Fiddler - DSP

Greene - Lovejoy
Severson - Smith
Moore - Santini

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Hynes has to get fired. Whether it is now or April makes little difference IMO.

Pleas, read the posts below and you'll have your answer.

Hynes can coach defense. But then we lose games 2-1.

He's tried opening it up lately and we are losing 6-3 and still get outshot by double. Cory, has been really bad when the team is not playing ultra conservative.

This team is in a bad place. Which points to a top 3 pick.

Our defense is so bad on paper and in reality. It's almost post trade deadline/expansion draft defense. Severson = future talent, Green = Grizzly vet, Lovejoy = SAH vet GM's love who usually hurt more than help, then fill with any FA not signed yet.

The only thing we have to judge Hynes on was last years performance. That team was solid on the PK, solid on the PP, and played a low event game 5-on-5 to minimize the fact that we had a poor roster. Those are all things that you can safely say are the result of strong coaching.

Then you have to think of what changed this year. Veterans like Stempniak, Kennedy, Ruutu, Tootoo, etc. have been replaced by Lappin, Wood, Zacha, Bennett, DSP. Larsson and Schlemko have been replaced by Lovejoy and Quincey.

The compete level and attention to detail worries me and that has to be part of the coaches job, but the players have to bring those attributes too. The veterans have to step up and set the example. Henrique and Palmieri haven't done that; they've been nonexistent out there far too many times. Greene has been poor compared to the last couple years. Hall is dynamic but he's too much of a floater and doesn't bring that same work ethic that we had of years past. Same goes for Cammalleri.

Based on last years results, I would really like to see what Hynes can do. He had a big role in a lot of the talent that is making Pittsburgh now. He and Shero see eye to eye on the way to build a team and that could help build a culture dedicated to the same system in a similar way that Lemaire's trap did for the Devils. And no I'm not saying Hynes is Lemaire, but I'm talking more about the big picture. That being said, it's easy to change one coach than move players in today's NHL so I think he may end up being a victim of that.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I voted to do nothing because...basically....nothing will improve things.

Firing Hynes won't improve things

Trading players may or not improve things but more often than not, it turns out to be lateral moves that do nothing to improve(yet not negatively affect) things.

The only chance is to focus on the draft and while I HATE the idea of tanking and want this team to try and win games(which I'm sure they're doing their best), well....? :dunno:

This is basically where I'm at, too. The problem with this team is players not playing 60 minutes, not playing 100%, and not having any resilience. Those are all things that have to come from within.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is basically where I'm at, too. The problem with this team is players not playing 60 minutes, not playing 100%, and not having any resilience. Those are all things that have to come from within.

Those aren't the only problems but they're the only ones that are potentially fixable this year.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Those aren't the only problems but they're the only ones that are potentially fixable this year.

The lack of talent issues are the same any rebuilding team goes through, though. Depth, and roster quality are being addressed slowly through the draft and trades. There's really no way to speed up the process.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
KEEP: Hall, Rico, Zacha, Zajac, Woods, Fiddler, JJ, Lappin

Greene, Severson, Lovejoy

TRADE: Cammo, Palmieri, PAP, Cory < hard one. You shoudl get a 1 and a few seconds. I would get a first in 2018.

Waive: JJ, Gazdic,

Acquire: I would take Jagr back because of his habits, Patrick Berglund, Brendan Smith

Hall - Zajac - Woods
Rico - Berglund - Lappin
JJ - Zacha - Boucher
Q - Fiddler - DSP

Greene - Lovejoy
Severson - Smith
Moore - Santini

:laugh:

thanks for the laugh

there are so many things in there that are crazy that I don't know what to say. trading Cory for a 1st that is TWO drafts away? that seems like a great idea!!!!! how did we get Boucher back? Jagr playing on the 3rd line on his off wing?

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't mind trading Cory tbh. We gave up a top 10 pick for him, if we could get one or even a top 15 pick at the draft I'd do it. He's useless with the d we have in front of him anyway.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't mind trading Cory tbh. We gave up a top 10 pick for him, if we could get one or even a top 15 pick at the draft I'd do it. He's useless with the d we have in front of him anyway.

i don't mind trading him either, but we would need a capable starter coming back anyway...so i don't see the point.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
The thing that bothers me the most is that I think a big reason for the team being this bad is a lack of heart, leadership, and effort. In the past we were just a bad team. Now, I think we are under performing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What if we got back a league average starter + a 1st round in the 15-20 range/pretty good prospect?

not really interested

the ONLY thing that would get me remotely interested is if we could trade him for a legit ~25 year old top pairing DMan as well as a replacement goalie.

and we all know that will not happen.

I'm not trading him for unknowns.

Last edited:

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
What if we got back a league average starter + a 1st round in the 15-20 range/pretty good prospect?

I don't think we will deal Cory, but I keep thinking if we did it might be a deal with Toronto involving JVR, and maybe Freddie Andersen. Not sure what else the Devils would have to throw in? Just a crazy thought .. not sure it would every fly. What is the true value for Cory?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
not really interested

the ONLY thing that would get me remotely interested is if we could trade him for a legit ~25 top pairing DMan as well as a replacement goalie.

I understand that position...But I just think Cory doesn't fit our competitive window anymore. I thought we were closer than we are. I thought the D wouldn't be great, but would be serviceable. It isn't even close to serviceable. I love Cory, but he's gonna be 31 in March. We're on track to be competitive in like, what, 2-3 years? What will he be by then? Sure we'll take a hit by losing him, but we need so much around him that we'll be pissing away his prime most likely anyway. We have terrible center depth. We have anemic defensive depth. Teams don't win like that. We have some decent wings outside of Hall, but are still missing a 1RW.

Hanging on to Cory just seems like being in denial to me. We could've had a legitimate shot at McDavid, Matthews, or Laine if we moved him and I don't think anyone on this board wouldn't take them over Cory. Obviously there was no guarantee, but it just made sense given the strength of those drafts.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think we will deal Cory, but I keep thinking if we did it might be a deal with Toronto involving JVR, and maybe Freddie Andersen. Not sure what else the Devils would have to throw in? Just a crazy thought .. not sure it would every fly. What is the true value for Cory?

so we're trading Schneider for a LW when we're literally stacked there organizationally?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
not really interested

the ONLY thing that would get me remotely interested is if we could trade him for a legit ~25 year old top pairing DMan as well as a replacement goalie.

Vancouver did....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad