What should be done?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
How do the Devils get out of this tailspin?

Fire Hynes?
Trade a core member? (Cory, Greene, Zajac)
Trade a (or multiple) lesser but well-liked member to send a message? (Cammy, Josefson, Merrill)
Do nothing/ride it out?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
This poll should be multiple optioned, as I think that I would probably pick Options 1 and 3.
Voted for option 1 though.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
If #2 and/or #3 are productive and provide a net benefit, sure. But reactionary moves in response to the losing or to send a message, no. I do not think #1 is an option unless some great replacement is just sitting around waiting for a job. Again, I would not do it as a reactionary move.

So, no to reactionary moves unless, in a vacuum, they're providing good mid to long term value for the team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Option 1. See how this team does under a new coach (whether permanent replacement or just interim) and assess what needs to be done to the team based on that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not convinced there is a better coach out there right now. Which is why I am not really sure what firing the coach does.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
All of the above?

Also, can't go tank while keeping Cory. Those have to happen together.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I don't know how close the relationship between Hynes and Shero is, however, I would assume strong. But Shero also has owners he needs to answer to. Sooner or later the coach always gets the boot. However, the Devils biggest problem seems to be defense. Greene, Moore and Merrill need to go. Greene is fading fast, while Moore and Merrill are just horrible at defense. Cory as been terrible as well, he's just not easy to move, we have no depth at goal and he's better than he's showing. I can only think that Shero needs to find a young solid defensemen. Who's loaded on D, Minny, Nashville or as I mentioned before we make a play for Trouba. In the off season, we will probably have to over-pay Shatty if they want him here. And unless Nolan Patrick falls to us, we draft a defensemen. I noticed some other d-men are starting to rise. Other than that it's like the hockey Gods have played a cruel joke on us. I can't believe this franchise has missed the playoffs for 5 straight years going on 6. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see them win a cup again, while I'm alive.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
And what happens when they get worse? Who do you have in mind to replace hynes?

Why is the assumption that they will get worse? What do you think will get worse if Hynes is not here?

Either bring in Kowalsky as interim coach, or bring in Gallant (or someone else) as head coach.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
#2 & #4

Hynes seems primed to make #1 happen eventually anyway

We're going to need HIGH picks.

Historically poor selections and having picks in no man's land is getting us nowhere.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
they aren't going to bring Kowalsky up to the big team in the middle of the season. That will never happen.

Other clubs have called up AHL coaches to act as interim coaches in the middle of an AHL season. AHL club is subservient to an NHL club. What I'm suggesting as a possibility is hardly unprecedented.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I voted ride it out, but also think Shero should be and will be trying to sell some veteran players at the deadline.

This team's bottom 5 in the league in PDO right now. I'm not saying their issues all come down to luck, because I also think they've been pretty bad, but these numbers (particularly save percentage) are bound to regress at some point. Now is not the time to do something rash like fire Hynes or trade away a potential core young player.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'm in two minds on what to do.

Firstly I like what Hynes did with the team last season. I'm against panic firing so I want to see if Hynes can turn it around but losing 10 games in a row is not on in today's NHL. Something must be done.

Secondly I think Kowalsky has done very well in Albany and deserves a shot. He is ideally suited to this team as he knows all the young players we have currently got on the team (Wood, Lappin) and a few more in Albany that we want to promote soon (Blandisi, Quenneville, Piletila, Santini). But we have already gone the AHL route with Hynes and I'm nervous in going down that track again. I'm leaning towards picking a more experienced coach like Bob Hartley who has won a cup.

Our power play & defense has gone to **** so do we fire the assistant coaches in charge of these areas to shake it up? Nasreddine and Ward were specifically requested by Hynes to be hired by Shero so is there much value in firing these two and keeping Hynes and making him work with two new coaches in which he perhaps doesn't have a say. Probably not. All 3 needs to go at same time.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
What I would do:

Keep Hynes and all staff.

Keep
G: Schneider, Kinkaid

D: Greene, Severson, Santini, Lovejoy, Moore, Auvitu

F: Hall, Henrique, Cammalleri, Zajac, Palmieri, Wood, Lappin, Fiddler, McLeod, Bastian, Speers, Gignac

All players in organization not listed I would definitely be willing to move. Zacha, Blackwood obviously being the most noteworthy. Blandisi, Jacobs, Quenneville, Joey Anderson all for sale too.

Ride out the season. Get a high draft pick. (Hopefully, Patrick or that Finnish defenseman)
Use cap space to sign a quality defenseman. (Shattenkirk?)
Use expansion draft to pry a defenseman or scoring winger from somebody for lesser than market value. (Fowler, Brodin, Silfverberg, Ryan Ellis, etc.)

Use Zacha + Blackwood to try to acquire a true #1 center. Duchene?

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I voted #4 but with the caveat that I don't think we should tank. I think that things, through motivation or other means, will turn around. Question of when, not if.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad