What kind of gamer are you?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I can pretty much relate to this. There was a time when I came home from school, I opened my computer and played ET for 6 straight hours and went to sleep. :laugh:
Yes! I was always an Engineer too. I really like class-based FPS games when they are multiplayer. I think that's why I gravitate more towards the Battlefield games than COD games. It's more fun to have some strategy.

All Consoles, no pc or hanhelds.

Have had all Xbox and Playstations, all nintendo besides snes, also Genesis and Saturn and Atari 2600

No offense pal but you probably missed out on the best Nintendo console ever made. Just my opinion here.

Also, you had a virtual boy? Sick! Always wanted to get one of those.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I scoff at the concept of platform loyalty...which I guess makes me a Jack for this poll.

Preference has been console gaming since childhood, though. No computers in my house until I was 13.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If I had the budget, I would buy them all. Why limit yourself?

I play Xbox One the most, because that is what I have the most games for.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Technical PC for multiple reasons

1 - Probably first and foremost is the controls. There are so many genres that work so much better with different control set ups and I want the freedom to choose. Shooters, which are my favorite games, are just so much better with a keyboard and mouse than on a controller.

Am I the only one that strongly disagrees with this? I have NEVER thought to myself that a keyboard and mouse is a better control set-up for anything compared to a console controller (no matter what controller it is). I just can't get over how awkward and clunky it is. I'm surprised that more people don't see it this way and that I seem to be in the minority.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Am I the only one that strongly disagrees with this? I have NEVER thought to myself that a keyboard and mouse is a better control set-up for anything compared to a console controller (no matter what controller it is). I just can't get over how awkward and clunky it is. I'm surprised that more people don't see it this way and that I seem to be in the minority.

I can't imagine playing Starcraft or DotA or any Total War game with a controller.

I'm pretty sure Chivalry is way worse with a controller.

The Civ and XCOM series would suck on a controller.

I doubt Kerbal Space Program is anywhere near as good on a controller.

Any game that involves typing would suck on a controller. That's any MMORPG, really.

-----------------------

One of the big clues about playing FPS with a K+M vs. controller is that virtually all console FPS games include some kind of aim assist. If you've played any Halo games and noticed it's way harder to hit your teammates than your enemies, that's why.

Meanwhile, I believe nearly all PC shooters (Counter Strike is prime example) have no aim assist whatsoever, yet undoubtedly the highest level of competitive "aiming" skill is seen in that game.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I can't imagine playing Starcraft or DotA or any Total War game with a controller.

I'm pretty sure Chivalry is way worse with a controller.

The Civ and XCOM series would suck on a controller.

I doubt Kerbal Space Program is anywhere near as good on a controller.

Any game that involves typing would suck on a controller. That's any MMORPG, really.

-----------------------

One of the big clues about playing FPS with a K+M vs. controller is that virtually all console FPS games include some kind of aim assist. If you've played any Halo games and noticed it's way harder to hit your teammates than your enemies, that's why.

Meanwhile, I believe nearly all PC shooters (Counter Strike is prime example) have no aim assist whatsoever, yet undoubtedly the highest level of competitive "aiming" skill is seen in that game.
CIV Revolution which was built for consoles was a beautiful game and played really well.

Most FPS games on consoles, if they have aim-assist you can turn it off too. IMO it balances out though because its so much easier to aim and be precise with a mouse than it is two thumb-sticks. At least it is for me. I seem to play FPS games much better on PC and find it easier than on console.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

This really depends on type of game, game design, and ultimately personal preference.

For shooters specifically, the mouse provides a much more precise control for aiming, but tends to have a disadvantage when it comes to movement.

I think the advantage Frankie mentioned is the ability to very easily swap between the two on PC. Personally, I use either my keyboard/mouse or Xbox One controller depending on which I find is better for the game I am playing or if I'm sitting at my desk or on my couch. The versatility is nice, although not all games support both.

Disclaimer: I've been playing games with mouse/keyboard since I was very young so I might be biased. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This really depends on type of game, game design, and ultimately personal preference.

For shooters specifically, the mouse provides a much more precise control for aiming, but tends to have a disadvantage when it comes to movement.

I think the advantage Frankie mentioned is the ability to very easily swap between the two on PC. Personally, I use either my keyboard/mouse or Xbox One controller depending on which I find is better for the game I am playing or if I'm sitting at my desk or on my couch. The versatility is nice, although not all games support both.

Disclaimer: I've been playing games with mouse/keyboard since I was very young so I might be biased. :laugh:

Untrue. In a first person space movement is inherently tied to the direction you're looking in, so being able to adjust the direction you're looking in with more precision in is a massive advantage for moving around.

There's a reason why zero FPS games these days have movement systems as dynamic as old PC shooters: they don't work on a controller.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

It really depends on a.) what you grew up with and b.) what kind of games you like.

I grew up exclusively with consoles and we didn't have a computer in our house until I already considered myself a 'hardcore gamer'...and as such most genres that proliferated on the PC still baffle me, but for a couple of them I was instantly all-in on. Sim/management-type games, RTS (RIP, murdered by a genre I want to beat to death with a stick), 4X strategy, etc....but give me a mouse and keyboard and tell me to play a shooter and I will be dead ten times within two minutes, get frustrated, and rage quit. It just feels clunky to me.

Mouse & keyboard still feels awkward as hell to me after all these years, and it's probably because most of my early memories involve me holding an NES controller. It's almost like a language...controllers are my native tongue, and mouse & keyboard is like Spanish. I'm functional at it on a basic level, but the second things start going fast I'm completely ****ing lost.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I went with other as I'm not one to pick a console because for fanboy reasons and I also have built myself a gaming PC. I guess in terms of consoles I'm a microsoft guy but that's really because the 360 was what all of my friends had. When the One/PS4 came out we all made the choice to get the One and that was that.

In terms of games I really only play FPS, I'll buy one or 2 and play them for 2 or 3 years, as well as the odd sport game like NHL. For example I played Halo 3 for 3 years, Reach for 2 years, and Destiny for 2.5 years. On the PC I really just play RPGs or RTS games. I'm not one to buy more than 2 games in a year so I like my games to have quite a bit of replay value.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Other I guess. Had a ps2, then went to a xbox 360 and now to a ps4. I have no brand loyalty. I just buy what I believe to be the best unit at the time and don't really care about brand/consule exclusives.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

This is a bit tangential, but I happened to be looking through the manual for Dune II, the first RTS game ever and there's actually a section on how to play the game with only the keyboard (since it was 1992 and some older DOS machines at the time might not have had mice). That blew me away a little, since I can't imagine playing an RTS with only a keyboard. It's probably a bit like playing an RTS with a controller.

Untrue. In a first person space movement is inherently tied to the direction you're looking in, so being able to adjust the direction you're looking in with more precision in is a massive advantage for moving around.

I think that he might've meant the keyboard, since that's how the actual movement (forward, back, left, right) in modern FPSes is performed. I can see an analog stick being better for movement than the WASD keys, since you can use just a thumb, instead of three fingers, and could have more than just 8 directions (half of which, with WASD, require pressing two keys at once). As ideal as the mouse is for aiming, WASD is rather unideal, but we make do.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
No offense pal but you probably missed out on the best Nintendo console ever made. Just my opinion here.

Also, you had a virtual boy? Sick! Always wanted to get one of those.

No Virtual Boy either, forgot that one, though a buddy of mine had it I think.

I know the SNES thing is a bit crazy but I was bitter after "hearing rumors" that it would be backwards compatible with my 100+ game NES library, and then I played NHL hockey on Genesis at a friends house and went the Genesis route

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I built my own rig but would consider myself a casual PC gamer. I dabble in LoL, HoTS, SC, Hearthstone, and used to be a hardcore WoW and SWTOR player. Not so much anymore but I like getting on SWTOR every once and a while to enjoy a different feel and story. And I feel like every other WoW expansion that come sout I get on and play for a month then am done.

For consoles I used to be All Halo 2 all the time. I stopped playing Halo with any regularity after H3, and really don't play competitive shooters at all anymore. I was also always big on the Ace Combat games for PS2, I still play those now. Also big on the old DBZ Budokai and Tenkaichi games. As well as the original Super Smash Bros. I enjoy the Dead Or Alive series as well. And am a fairly casual player of Madden and MLB the Show. Nowadays I like some AAA titles like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Last of Us, Heavy Rain, etc. Stuff that's a bit more linear. I've always hated the Open World Concept and that seems to be where everything is going anymore. I also can't do games with very shallow fighting controls, ala Assassin's Creed.

Nowadays most of my gaming is focused on the NHL series, which I've played since EASHL came out. When it's not that it's the computer games I mentioned on an irregular basis. As well as the one off AAA title I enjoy here and there for a short amount of time and then return.

Fighting games are fun with your buddies, it's like the only games that you can play split screen co-op anymore so I still play stuff like that, again very casually.

I voted Other. I don't know what I am, I think I'm just old.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

No, but only PC players with tiny ****s care about it or feel like they have to prove that PC shooters are a billion times better.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015

I used to think the same way until I started playing games on the computer. I can't play cod with a controller anymore, it's just so hard to aim and doesn't feel right. However, when it comes to driving in games I definitely would prefer a controller for that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I think that he might've meant the keyboard, since that's how the actual movement (forward, back, left, right) in modern FPSes is performed. I can see an analog stick being better for movement than the WASD keys, since you can use just a thumb, instead of three fingers, and could have more than just 8 directions (half of which, with WASD, require pressing two keys at once). As ideal as the mouse is for aiming, WASD is rather unideal, but we make do.

I assumed that was what he was talking about... the argument remains the same.

If you stuck a pair of people in a Quake 3 server and had one of them use a mouse + keyboard and one of them use a controller, the m+kb player would win a race around the map by a mile. Movement only, no shooting involved. If they were allowed to rocket jump, then the m+kb player would run ten laps around the map before the guy with a controller finished his first one. What it boils down to is most people aren't telepathic and need to look in the direction that they're moving in in order to move most effectively. So by being better able to change where you're looking, you are better able to move around.

A mouse can provide nearly as much of an advantage to movement as it does for aiming. The only reason most people don't notice this is because games are no longer built that way, and the reason games are no longer built this way is because they cater to the console market.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No, but only PC players with tiny ****s care about it or feel like they have to prove that PC shooters are a billion times better.

You seem to care enough about it to insult the size of other people's manhood over it.

I assumed that was what he was talking about... the argument remains the same.

If you stuck a pair of people in a Quake 3 server and had one of them use a mouse + keyboard and one of them use a controller, the m+kb player would win a race around the map by a mile. Movement only, no shooting involved. If they were allowed to rocket jump, then the m+kb player would run ten laps around the map before the guy with a controller finished his first one. What it boils down to is most people aren't telepathic and need to look in the direction that they're moving in in order to move most effectively. So by being better able to change where you're looking, you are better able to move around.

There's no denying that, but my point was that the mouse technically isn't used for movement. It's used for orientation (looking), which makes movement faster and better, I agree, but it doesn't actually move your character any. That's why I compared analog sticks to WASD, since a stick likely does what WASD does, but better. There's no denying that a mouse is superior to a stick for looking, though.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I played a fair amount of Quake 3 on the Dreamcast back in the day.

The control scheme on the DC wasn't too bad - ABXY to move, triggers to jump/shoot, and analog stick to look. In the absence of having a mouse and keyboard it worked pretty well. However it was always pretty obvious when someone in the server was using a mouse and keyboard because nine times out of ten they were the best player in the room.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
I have changed a bit, I would play on any console. Now I will play on just about anything except Nintendo consoles. I like Zelda but every nintendo console is the same, it starts out kind of solid with promise but after a year or two all the console becomes is a place where spongebob and crapware take over.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
easy way to make your entire body sweaty, increase your heart rate by about 400%, and scream so loud you wake up your GF and both your roommates - play Alien Isolation on an Oculus Rift :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
easy way to make your entire body sweaty, increase your heart rate by about 400%, and scream so loud you wake up your GF and both your roommates - play Alien Isolation on an Oculus Rift :laugh:

When I saw from the forum page that Carolinas Identity was the latest to reply, how did I know that your reply would be about Alien(s)? The poll should've had option of "Alien games only!" just for you ;).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
When I saw from the forum page that Carolinas Identity was the latest to reply, how did I know that your reply would be about Alien(s)? The poll should've had option of "Alien games only!" just for you ;).

The AVGN's review of Alien 3 on NES might be my favorite Halloween episode of his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad