What kind of gamer are you?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Combination of technical PC and Jack of all Trades I guess. If I had the disposable income I'd have dual 1080 Ti.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I have an N64, an original Xbox, and a PS3, and half of my favorite games are for computer. That said, I haven't bought a new game in years because I prefer games of yesteryear.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hard to say what I am....

I'm not an Xbox user since I have Nintendo and Sony products. I'm not a hardcore gamer either, but I do have a semi-big collection.

However, I used to be an Xbox fanboy (years under Nazisoft changed that though) and I used to be hardcore gamer.

Now though I've played just a handful of games the last five years or so. Those games I have particularly got into are ones from my past or ones with insane depth. Games from the last five years...

- Halo series
- Gears of War series
- Dishonoured series
- Mass Effect series
- FIFA series
- Pokemon series
- Destiny
- Battlefield 1
- GTA V

In depth games...

- Age of Empires III (entirely stopped playing it though)
- Civilization: V
- Football Manager
- Eastside Hockey Manager
- Of course Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (my favourite game of all time)

My gaming collection though consists of Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64, SNES, Xbox, PS1, and the 360. Including all the hit games like Powerstone, Mortal Kombat, Mario, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Street Fighters, every Sonic game, Zelda, Tony Hawk, Donkey Kong, James Bond, Hockey '93, Vectorman, NBA Jam, Blitz, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy VII, Megaman 8, Snowboarding, Splinter Cell, and more. Haven't played them in a while though.

Now I am very picking about which games I want to play, since I don't have much free time anymore. I actually rather watch a walk-through about a game in my current state than play it (like I did with 2BC and his with Batman trilogy and Walking Dead). But there are others worth playing from walk-throughs like Bioshock, Dishonoured, and Red Dead were for me.

So in the end I decided to choose "other".

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Don't worry, they still haven't made any shooters better than those anyways. Except Unreal. That's just Quake but bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quake Champions is the last hope but it'll be **** because they'll probably make it difficult/impossible to make good community maps/mods.

As much as I want one, there's just no demand for arena shooters like that anymore. There have been plenty of indie arena shooters to come out over the years and none of them could hold any kind of audience whatsoever. There's that new Unreal Tournament game that nobody is talking about. I wonder how many people are even playing it. I get Epic is trying to push people to their client but who's using it? They'd be better off just putting the new Unreal Tournament on Steam to try to build a community.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I used to be a hardcore "Technical PC" guy, back in the late 90s and early 00s. I'd get the most expensive video cards (back when they were under $200, not $600+ like now) and upgrade them and my other system components every other year. Back then, it made a difference. Nowadays, there isn't a need to upgrade as often, especially since most AAA games are simultaneously developed for consoles, so, if you have PC hardware on par with or better than the current generation console, you're set for up to 5 years. For example, my aging PC hardware is on par with what's in the 4-year-old Xbox One and PS4, yet I'm in no hurry to upgrade it since the games naturally don't demand any better.

I'm probably somewhere between "Technical PC" and "Casual PC," but I went with the latter because of the description: "MMO's, strategy, other, don't have to have an amazing rig." I definitely don't need an amazing rig anymore. Besides being content with how well my rig plays current games, I also play a lot of older games. In fact, I just finished a game from 1994 and am playing through one from 2010. In some ways, I enjoy older games more, especially the ones that are nostalgic. I also have such a backlog of games that I haven't even gotten around to a lot of the newer games, and don't mind.

Going way, way back, I was a big Nintendo fan in the 80s and had an NES, but I graduated to PC from there, so I can't consider myself a "Jack of All Trades." Other than my brother's SNES and, much later, Wii, I haven't touched consoles. If I had to pick one manufacturer, it'd clearly be Nintendo, but I really haven't been into them or consoles since around 1990, when I started putting most of my time into PC.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
PlayStation foremost have been playing them since PS1, so there's a comfort level with them. Always get the Xbox too but never play it nearly as much.

Would like to get into the PC world but I don't have the expertise to get the ball rolling seems a really expensive option.

Just don't dig Nintendo stuff too much. Had the Super Nintendo as a kid but I haven't been impressed with anything they've done since. Kid has a DS it's nothing special in my opinion. Good for him though at 4 years old.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Casual PC because I probably only buy 1-2 console games a year. A lot easier to sit down and play Europa Universalis then to kick the toddlers or girlfriend off the TV to play Xbox for a couple hours.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
In a way i am not really a "gamer" since i think 99% of singleplayer and other mainstream games are pretty garbage, garbage gameplay, garbage story and i rather read books that are way higher in quality. So i play mostly 1-2 "biggest blockbuster" games in the market. Exception this is strategy / TBS games which are enjoyable to play like CIV, XCOM, Total war, HOMM etc.

Biggest enjoyment i get is from "esport" games like Dota, Starcraft, CS:GO, while i dont think any of them except starcraft is a "really good game" it fills the competitive niche i have that i grew up in playing hockey/football/tennis. Just virtual competion thats easy to setup and get better at. For example id rather play sudoku than some "hyped" indie games that have come out.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
PS4.

PS1 was my first ever system, got a PS2 when it came out, skipped all of the PS3 gen, when I came back i stuck with what I knew/liked

I love my system, have nothing against Xbox or PC just don't have interest for either.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Voted JOAT.

I was a Sega kid growing up no doubt. Had the SMS in 5th grade, followed by MD, Saturn (had a PS too), and Dreamcast (had a PS 2 too:).

I prefer arcade style games over 60 hour marathons. 95% of what I play now is either via emulation (Mame/Neo Geo), Dreamcast, or 360 (*cough* Dreamcast 2 *cough*). And those games are usually Shoot em' Ups or Run n' Guns.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Voted JOAT.

I was a Sega kid growing up no doubt. Had the SMS in 5th grade, followed by MD, Saturn (had a PS too), and Dreamcast (had a PS 2 too:).

I prefer arcade style games over 60 hour marathons. 95% of what I play now is either via emulation (Mame/Neo Geo), Dreamcast, or 360 (*cough* Dreamcast 2 *cough*). And those games are usually Shoot em' Ups or Run n' Guns.

I still say the Dreamcast had the best controller. Most comfortable really. I thought the VMU idea was ingenious. Of course today with smartphones and tablets they wouldn't make sense but that was a pretty amazing feature of the Dreamcast. I loved that system.

You could load roms onto it too without any hacking. Just burn an emulator and the roms onto a disk and the dreamcast would read it. Or maybe you had to load the emulator on disk first then swap the disks? I don't remember. Either way, you had to re-burn a new CD any time you wanted to add roms to your collection to play. :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
As far as consoles, I've always been a Sony guy. I've had all 4 Playstations. I did have a 360 for a short time just to play with some friends before we all moved on to PS4, but that's about it.

I've also played very casual PC games.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jack of all trades. Though I'm kind of done with Xbox now. PS4 and pc. Used to always play 360. And then before that was JOT again ps2,64,og xbox

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I still say the Dreamcast had the best controller. Most comfortable really. I thought the VMU idea was ingenious. Of course today with smartphones and tablets they wouldn't make sense but that was a pretty amazing feature of the Dreamcast. I loved that system.

You could load roms onto it too without any hacking. Just burn an emulator and the roms onto a disk and the dreamcast would read it. Or maybe you had to load the emulator on disk first then swap the disks? I don't remember. Either way, you had to re-burn a new CD any time you wanted to add roms to your collection to play. :laugh:

Agreed on all fronts.

As far as burning EMU's I have a Neo Geo one for it. It is a collection of games and some run poorly although I have seen the same games on a single disc running well.

The collection of games I can run just by putting the disc in the system - I do have the Neo bios that will allow me to run a burned Neo CD game, but haven't gotten any burned Neo games yet. And since I can play them on my PC anyway I would rather save my DC for things I can only play on it:D

That said one day I will have one of the GD Emulators installed.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Agreed on all fronts.

As far as burning EMU's I have a Neo Geo one for it. It is a collection of games and some run poorly although I have seen the same games on a single disc running well.

The collection of games I can run just by putting the disc in the system - I do have the Neo bios that will allow me to run a burned Neo CD game, but haven't gotten any burned Neo games yet. And since I can play them on my PC anyway I would rather save my DC for things I can only play on it:D

That said one day I will have one of the GD Emulators installed.

Man, you are making me want to go to the game store down the road that sells old (and new) games and systems and pick up a Dreamcast again! I used to be huge into emulators and such. I don't have any anymore.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Jack of all trades with a tendency towards hardcore graphic intensive PC gaming.

What I mean by this is that, I own every platform and will play the platform exclusives, but for cross platform titles that are available on PC, I will get the PC version to see the most graphically impressive version of the game at the highest framerate possible.

Lately, I've been putting in a lot of hours into the Switch with Breath of the Wild and now Mario Kart.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Man, you are making me want to go to the game store down the road that sells old (and new) games and systems and pick up a Dreamcast again! I used to be huge into emulators and such. I don't have any anymore.

You should. They are still relatively cheap as are most of the games as long as your not into shmups:D.

There are still some games I prefer to play on it since they aren't available anywhere else.

MDK 2 and Fur Fighters are two of my favorite non shmups on it.

Also nothing - not even Golden Eye - is more fun than Power Stone 2 with four players.

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I guess I'd fall under jack of all trades.

When I was younger I would play ps1/n64 with a gameboy, and then just gameboy advance and gamecube for like 4 years until I got a ps2. Then I got an xbox360 and basically played that all through high school, although somewhere in my last year I discovered pc gaming. Nowadays I mainly just play multiplayer games on my pc, but I still play single player games on virtually every console that I own.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I think I spent more time playing W:ET than I did going to class in college. That game owned my soul for about 3 years. :)

I can pretty much relate to this. There was a time when I came home from school, I opened my computer and played ET for 6 straight hours and went to sleep. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad