What kind of gamer are you?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I have to say I have changed a lot throughout my life. When I first became a gamer I was Nintendo or bust. Eventually I got a PS2 for cheap and enjoyed some games on it and then Xbox came around. I hated the Xbox, I never owned one and I disliked all the hype Halo was getting. I got into the fanboy wars bad at this time.

Eventually got an Xbox 360 because it was the first "next gen" at the time and I fell in love with it. Got a PS3 too but never played anything besides Uncharted really.

It was around this time I got a real job and could afford anything really. Bought whatever the latest and greatest was. Got into PC gaming and built a MONSTER of a machine and got super into framerates, GPU processing... etc.

Eventually fell out of that and realized I just like fun games. I always have been a Nintendo fan realized that I love their games because they are simple and fun. But I still love my Xbox One and PS4 and each have their own exclusives that I like to play.

TL : DR - Which BEST describes your gaming habits.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
"Sony consoles only" best describes my gaming habits. I'm not a Playstation fanboy by any means, but in the interest of price I only get one console, and that has been a Sony console since PS2 because they have a consistent track record of producing the best exclusive games, and by a large margin IMO. Only very rarely do I regret not being able to play Microsoft or Nintendo exclusives.

Growing up, I always had Nintendo bought for me. Enjoyed the hell out of it at the time, but when I grew up I made the switch to Sony. Obviously still have very fond memories of playing N64 though. A lot of nostalgia, sure, but that system was absolutely perfect for a kid growing up, and I got more enjoyment out of that than I would have for a PS1, I think.

For whatever reason I just can't get into PC games. I have always LOATHED using keyboard controls, and even though I know you can just get controllers for PC anyways, I'm happy just sticking with consoles. I like having better graphics, sure, but console games still look great IMO, and not worth getting too nit-picky over. The Sims and Civilization are the only games I've ever really gotten invested in on the PC.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I like games from everywhere.

I value gameplay above all, doesn't matter where it comes from.

Not a single fan-boy bone in my body.

I am a bit of a Japanese fan-boy actually lol. Japanese games/franchises tend to be my favourite generally speaking.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
everything except playstation. ive never owned any playstation console.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've owned every Nintendo console since the NES, and I will most likely continue that trend. Between Sony and Microsoft, I've been with Playstation since the beginning as I've found their exclusives to be better. I had an original Xbox and 360 for brief periods of time, but always got rid of them shortly after I finished the few games I wanted to play. I also own a gaming rig and dabble a bit there on Steam and with Blizzard games. Among the PS4, Switch, and PC I own, the PS4 gets the most use.

I don't do any handheld or mobile gaming.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
When I was a little younger, everything. I have a decent gaming PC, X1 and PS4. I'd like a Switch, but I have so little gaming time with a little one running around that I don't really play much anymore. Just Smite on X1, lol.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I've typically owned pretty much everything, but historically I've always found very little reason to turn on an Xbox. So far a PC and a PlayStation has made every piece of Xbox hardware nearly entirely redundant.

Xbox One and the Wii U are the first consoles I've skipped in a while, although the Wii U is a weird one because as soon as I felt like it probably had a good enough catalogue to be worth buying, all the Switch talk started happening... I feel like Nintendo will probably end up releasing most of that stuff on the Switch, so probably a good thing I didn't buy one?

I am a bit of a Japanese fan-boy actually lol. Japanese games/franchises tend to be my favourite generally speaking.

Your Mega Man avatar doesn't fool me.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I used to LOVE JRPG's. The last one I played and beat though was Eternal Sonata. Something happened and I just can't stand them anymore. I think I got sick of long cut scenes, turn based combat and the amount of time you need to dedicate to them. I know not all of them are turn based or have huge cut scenes anymore but that stuff just really turned me off.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Technical PC for multiple reasons

1 - Probably first and foremost is the controls. There are so many genres that work so much better with different control set ups and I want the freedom to choose. Shooters, which are my favorite games, are just so much better with a keyboard and mouse than on a controller.

2 - The games, I honestly don't like the direction AAA games are taking. There's too much hand holding and developers are focused more on making an "experience" rather than a game. That's not to say I don't like good "experiences" but they seem to be few and far between. A lot of my favorite games that have come out recently are often indie games that focus on cool ideas and great gameplay mechanics and that's what makes me keep coming back for more. I have tried some of the top exclusives for consoles and just don't get the appeal myself.

3 - I don't really mind if a game's graphics aren't particularly good but if given the option, why not go with better graphics? Or maybe the framerate is really bad and you would rather sacrifice graphics for a smoother experience. There are plenty of times where I play on medium settings or something to get 60+fps because 30 is just hard to deal with, especially with controls.

4 - I like the sense of community of PC too. There's not many kids. Sure, there's toxic players, but every community will have toxic players. It's nice just playing more with other people in your age. Plus games with private servers can have amazing communities that you just can't do on consoles. I've met plenty of life long friends playing games online. Just the fact that you can talk via text in game makes it feel much more welcoming and easier to make friends.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I suppose Jack of all trades, but I'm very close to the genre you class as casual PC, I just don't do it casually.

I generally play strategy/simulation/building games that I can use creativity rather than competetiveness, such as Crusader Kings, Stellaris, Cities:Skylines, Planet Coaster, Football Manager, Minecraft etc. Games like that I usually put 200+ hours into, so I wouldn't consider it 'casual' but moreso just 'non-competetive'. I also like to have a top-end gaming rig since I occasionally delve into more graphic-intensive stuff, especially if a good RPG is around. One thing I just hate though is competetive multiplayer, which is unfortunate because that's what 90% of the mainstream market is nowadays.

I also have a PS4 for sports games and any games where I like the feel of TV/controller better.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Don't really identify with brands/companies, don't care too much about hardware spec stuff, but most of my favorite games ever probably don't exactly fall under casual, so don't know what to pick really.

A short list of my favorites, in alphabetical order because I don't want to think about ranking them:

Antichamber
Chess
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Dark Souls
Dota 2
Kerbal Space Program
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter
Super Smash Bros Melee
Talos Principle
XCOM: Enemy Within/Long War

IMO whether you play on PC or PS4 or Xbox is a relatively small difference compared to if you play technical fighting games, story-driven games with minimal mechanics, puzzle games, realistic simulators, FPS, or MOBAs

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I suppose my console purchasing motivation can best be described as historically "whatever Gran Turismo games are available on."

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I play a little bit of everything, but I mostly play on playstation. Mostly just COD, FIFA, Rocket League and Assassins Creed. I like Nintendo, but the only games that I play are Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Legend of Zelda. I can't justify buying a switch for only 3 games unfortunately. And the only pc games that I really play on my outdated laptop are Minecraft and Shellshock Live. I do want to eventually upgrade so I can play Civilization VI and Planet Coaster.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I used to LOVE JRPG's. The last one I played and beat though was Eternal Sonata. Something happened and I just can't stand them anymore. I think I got sick of long cut scenes, turn based combat and the amount of time you need to dedicate to them. I know not all of them are turn based or have huge cut scenes anymore but that stuff just really turned me off.

Yeah a lot of people change, it's normal.

I used to love FPS' on PC. I'd play a ton of CS, Unreal and Quake back in the day. Now, I can't imagine getting back into it, although there are still great choices like Titanfall 2 and Overwatch.

I'm perfectly content playing my FPS on consoles, with the rest of the nubs.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Xbox One and the Wii U are the first consoles I've skipped in a while, although the Wii U is a weird one because as soon as I felt like it probably had a good enough catalogue to be worth buying, all the Switch talk started happening... I feel like Nintendo will probably end up releasing most of that stuff on the Switch, so probably a good thing I didn't buy one?

I think they will as well, there were a lot of games on the Wii U that were incredible though.

I'd say the games you would have most enjoyed on the Wii U would have been...

Bayonetta 2
Smash
Zelda BotW
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Your Mega Man avatar doesn't fool me.

Back when you could get excited for a Capcom approved game.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I used to be a hardcore gamer, until 2004 when I tried my first MMORPG. Since then I've finished TWO games. The 3ds Zelda and Heavy Rain.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Technical PC for multiple reasons

1 - Probably first and foremost is the controls. There are so many genres that work so much better with different control set ups and I want the freedom to choose. Shooters, which are my favorite games, are just so much better with a keyboard and mouse than on a controller.

2 - The games, I honestly don't like the direction AAA games are taking. There's too much hand holding and developers are focused more on making an "experience" rather than a game. That's not to say I don't like good "experiences" but they seem to be few and far between. A lot of my favorite games that have come out recently are often indie games that focus on cool ideas and great gameplay mechanics and that's what makes me keep coming back for more. I have tried some of the top exclusives for consoles and just don't get the appeal myself.

3 - I don't really mind if a game's graphics aren't particularly good but if given the option, why not go with better graphics? Or maybe the framerate is really bad and you would rather sacrifice graphics for a smoother experience. There are plenty of times where I play on medium settings or something to get 60+fps because 30 is just hard to deal with, especially with controls.

4 - I like the sense of community of PC too. There's not many kids. Sure, there's toxic players, but every community will have toxic players. It's nice just playing more with other people in your age. Plus games with private servers can have amazing communities that you just can't do on consoles. I've met plenty of life long friends playing games online. Just the fact that you can talk via text in game makes it feel much more welcoming and easier to make friends.

I like your points about the AAA games and hand-holding. I would also add the pre-defined DLC.

Basically, 'were going to sell you 80% of a game for full price, but pay an extra $20 and you get the full game over the period of a year! Or you can pay $35 total over the year if you don't get the season pass!'

Whoever came up with this model and whoever keeps paying for season passes and DLC are the scum of the gaming world IMO. I mean when an expansion is a REAL expansion because the game sold and went way above expectations and a team goes back to develop a real expansion to add to the story for fans (i.e. Baal in Diablo 2) that makes sense.

Not making DLC or planning for it before the game even comes out.

/rant.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I used to love FPS' on PC. I'd play a ton of CS, Unreal and Quake back in the day. Now, I can't imagine getting back into it, although there are still great choices like Titanfall 2 and Overwatch.

Titanfall is my jam! The first one. The second one is really good but I almost feel like the single player ruined it. Weird because I wanted a single player for the game. Something about it being multiplayer only with Titanfall (1) make it feel more like you fill in the gaps with the lack of story that I liked. Strange.

There are only a few FPS games that I get excited about. Glad I am normal! :yo:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
A little bit of everything. Grew up on PlayStation, but had a lot of different systems through the years. Hmm let's see.

Original PS and PS1
PS2 and GameCube
PS3 and 360
PS4 and Xbox One, eventually sold my PS4 because I just didn't have time to play it, play mostly xbone with friends.

And than there are the handhelds:
Game boy and Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advanced
Gameboy SP
Gameboy DS
PSP
PSVita

I don't discriminate lol. I'd like to dabble in PC gaming, but knowing me, I'd dive off the deep end and spend way too much money building something I'd never get to play, so I stay away :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Don't worry, they still haven't made any shooters better than those anyways. Except Unreal. That's just Quake but bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quake Champions is the last hope but it'll be **** because they'll probably make it difficult/impossible to make good community maps/mods.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I like all gaming with pretty much every console, I even like board games a lot. But what I have is "just" decent CPU and 4000+ hours of Dota 2. Used to play A LOT of StarCraft: Brood War, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (super underrated game) and CS:S.

Ton of other ones during my gaming history, but main focus there. Recently bought original NES from coworker and ~5 games to it. Nowadays it's pretty much just Dota 2 in my free time tho..

StarCraft: BW is still the best game ever made.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Systems I've had/have:

Sega Saturn
Nintendo 64
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
PS3
XBOX 360
PS4

I played Overwatch for a little bit on PC, but I'm not much of a PC gamer at all.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I like all gaming with pretty much every console, I even like board games a lot. But what I have is "just" decent CPU and 4000+ hours of Dota 2. Used to play A LOT of StarCraft: Brood War, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (super underrated game) and CS:S.

Ton of other ones during my gaming history, but main focus there. Recently bought original NES from coworker and ~5 games to it. Nowadays it's pretty much just Dota 2 in my free time tho..

StarCraft: BW is still the best game ever made.

I think I spent more time playing W:ET than I did going to class in college. That game owned my soul for about 3 years. :)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm sort of both the Technical PC and Jack of All Trades kind of guy.

I prefer PC and love building unnecessarily expensive rigs (gotta have a hobby, right?), but also own a PS4 and 3DS and tend to play a variety of games.

I picked PC because the vast majority of my play time is spent there. To be fair, part of the reason for that is because it has more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad