What is your top indie game of all time?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I also thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It's not my typical type of game, but it was an interesting storyline. I'm into horror/thriller movies, and my gf and I liked running through the gruesome story. The further you get through the game, the more dark and twisted and sinister the story gets.

I'm not usually one for jump-scares, but with all the lights out and a couple of Mickey's Malt beverage 'hand grenades' and it was a fun horror experience without the burden of combat on the player.

Reactions: Realgud

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Not 100% sure what exactly constitutes indie? Non Triple A?

I did love the Stanley Parable and Among the Sleep.

Also not sure if considered indie but Euro Truck Simulator is awesome, especially with pro mods.
I absolutely love playing this with my Oculus!

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Some of the best games of all time (in my opinion):
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (fantastic and truly unique game at the time, thanks to its impressive idea and how well the game was designed as a whole)
- Cat Lady + Downfall (highly recommended to anyone who likes a deep, philosophical, psychological and symbolical story, this is my favorite story in any game yet)

Other worthwile mentions:
- Factorio (highly satisfying game mechanics, can sink hours into this one)
- Empyrion (best developers I've seen in a while, they care about their amazing game so so much, it's everything No Man's Sky was supposed to be, and more)
- Minecraft (when it was still in beta, it was quite a new and unique experience that would spawn a plethora of copycats in the survival genres and even in other genres by copying its simple graphical style)
- League of Legends (I agree with the comment above that it started really well, but eventually I lost interest and then became a Heroes of the Storm fanatic instead...)

I haven't played other supposedly great indies like Celeste and Shovel Knight, I will probably do in the future :)

Jul 10, 2010
honestly most "indie" games are poor looking and id rather drop 60 on a AAA title then 10 on a side scrolling game. Indie games serve only to be used as games with gold.

That said rocket league is the exception and such a simple concept ends up so greatly executed

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
honestly most "indie" games are poor looking and id rather drop 60 on a AAA title then 10 on a side scrolling game. Indie games serve only to be used as games with gold.

That said rocket league is the exception and such a simple concept ends up so greatly executed

To each their own, but just because something is a side scroller or more minimalist doesn't mean it's worse in quality.

I'd take Inside, Bastion, and Celeste over the vast majority of AAA games that I've played.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I avoid AAA 3D games like the plague because I think THEY look rather poor, personally. There's generally an over-reliance on fidelity, production value/polish, and realism with no charm, personality, or artistry. There's some attempt at art direction (which I think is way more important than "graphics") but it all ends up feeling very dull, typical and mediocre to me, and I don't think that will age well. People keep acting as though we're out of the woodwork and the way that the look of PS1/PS2/PS3-era 3D games became dated no longer apply to the improvements of this generation, but the current stuff will end up holding up just as poorly after a few years, IMO.

That said, I'll agree that "most" Indie games look ugly and are rather poor-- You really have to wade through the lot of them and pick and choose. But I think the exceptional ones look and feel tighter and more interesting aesthetically than the best AAA games, personally, and much like the exceptional 2D games from the 90s and early 2000s, will continue to look just as great with time (recent Indies, anyways-- I think they were pretty rough early on and people just looked past it-- Super Meat Boy is ugly, for example).

To my eyes, Celeste, Cuphead, or Inside are significantly better looking games than God of War, Spiderman, or Red Dead Redemption 2, which just do nothing for me visually, despite ambitious (I would argue soulless) efforts to have photo-realistic environments and similarly bland blockbuster-movie-esque effects.

Look and feel are the single biggest draw for me in video games, and I completely stepped away from the medium for about a decade because of how bland the big ones all started to look and feel.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I tend to find that both AAA and indies have their gems and their craps.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And don't get me wrong, I would love to see that AAA budget and all of those resources poured into an absolutely gorgeously directed videogame with its own unique, artistically interesting, and attractive look. I suspect that it could potentially look better than indie games are capable of (and anything else to date, for that matter)-- but I can't think of examples of that actually happening (it used to, and I really miss those days), personally. It doesn't seem to be in their financial interests to take those kinds of risks or care about those kinds of sensibilities. It's just bigger = better all the time.

It's possible that some have flown under my radar that I'm unaware of, but studios like Rockstar and Naughty Dog certainly aren't doing it, IMO.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

I have some bad news for you. The more people that think and act on this, the sooner the AAA industry destroys itself and all you have left are indies. Better get used to them.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
And don't get me wrong, I would love to see that AAA budget and all of those resources poured into an absolutely gorgeously directed videogame with its own unique, artistically interesting, and attractive look. I suspect that it could potentially look better than indie games are capable of (and anything else to date, for that matter)-- but I can't think of examples of that actually happening (it used to, and I really miss those days), personally. It doesn't seem to be in their financial interests to take those kinds of risks or care about those kinds of sensibilities. It's just bigger = better all the time.

It's possible that some have flown under my radar that I'm unaware of, but studios like Rockstar and Naughty Dog certainly aren't doing it, IMO.

I would honestly say that God of War is probably the best recent example of this, with the fantastical creatures and locations.

However, it seems that one didn't float your boat so, in my experience, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would honestly say that God of War is probably the best recent example of this, with the fantastical creatures and locations.

However, it seems that one didn't float your boat so, in my experience, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for.
I can't speak to the quality of the game itself, because I haven't played it, but I don't really care for the look of it. It just looks like generically "pretty" and "ultra-detailed" realistic 3D models but with next level graphics to me, the exact kind of thing you'd expect from successful AAA titles. Yes, it's scenic and fantastical and monsters are well designed and it's directed to the high standards of big budget films, but that alone doesn't give the look a distinct sense of identity or anything. It just kind of feels like you're watching a big budget high-production value, no-shortcuts taken, but still pretty generic Peter Jackson/James Cameron Hollywood blockbuster or something.

Despite inferior graphical/technical prowess and far greater limitations, things like Journey or Shadow of the Colossus have a significantly more interesting and genuinely beautiful aesthetic to them, IMO-- with its own inspired sense of character and identity that feels right to just think about (actually, could Team Ico be considered AAA? Probably not, right?). I don't deny that there's no reason AAA titles hypothetically couldn't match them and use their resources to make them look even better (it's something that I feel like they used to push the boundaries for during the 2D era-- Nintendo/Capcom always experimented with cool and distinct art styles), but for my sensibilities, I sure as hell haven't seen it in the modern era, personally. I've only really seen it attempted by Indie developers recently. Which isn't really ideal, because I get the feeling AAA studios COULD do it better if it were in their interests.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
God of War and Destiny both have plenty of quality art design to go along with their fidelity, pretty indisputably.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
God of War and Destiny both have plenty of quality art design to go along with their fidelity, pretty indisputably.
I agree, it's technically high quality, but I find it to be an aesthetically straight-laced, generic, uninteresting and unappealing brand of quality, personally.

Don't know about Destiny. Will check it out.

Last edited:

PilotRedSun

Aug 24, 2018
I don't think Destiny is the kind of game Shareefruck is looking for.

As far as upcoming good looking 3D games, Sable looks really good.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah, the original Destiny felt pretty soulless to me. Too much grinding and doing things just because the game made you do them to unlock new gear/weapons. Play to win games are dumb, especially when the mission structure/storyline are pretty poor to begin with. Haven't tried Destiny 2 yet (heard it's better), but if it's remotely similar then it's not worth putting time into IMO.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don't think anyone with eyes could play through all of God of War or Destiny 2 and call their aesthetic "generic."

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't think anyone with eyes could play through all of God of War or Destiny 2 and call their aesthetic "generic."

Idk, this looks pretty generic to me:

destiny-2-black-armory-best-perfect-god-rolls.jpg.optimal.jpg

Destiny-2-Players-Not-Happy-With-Bungie-for-oathkeeper-Exotic-Going-Unfixed.jpg.optimal.jpg

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Good thing there's more to Destiny than stock screenshots, I guess?

Destiny and GoW are definitely outliers though wrt the AAA space. I know like half a dozen modelers/animators at bigger studios and they've all complained about how tedious the journey to photorealism has become at some point.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Good thing there's more to Destiny than stock screenshots, I guess?

Destiny and GoW are definitely outliers though wrt the AAA space. I know like half a dozen modelers/animators at bigger studios and they've all complained about how tedious the journey to photorealism has become at some point.

I mean, the screenshots show the character models and weapons which are some of the most important aspects of the game, graphically speaking, as it's a FPS (landscape/terrain would be the other important factor). Destiny doesn't exactly separate itself from other futuristic AAA shooters when it comes to its aesthetics. I'm sure the game has other strengths, but graphics and art design doesn't appear to be one of them.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm very cynical about AAA games and don't really give many new ones a chance. I stick with what I know and i don' want to play more than 2 or 3 BIG games all year anyway. Also I really don't much care for anything FPS or sci-fi so that eliminates a good chunk of AAA games right away. The last FPS I really loved was maybe the original Bioshock.

I love getting my Nintendo games, plus one or two PS4 blockbusters, and then a half dozen great indie games every year. This current system works great for me personally. But I kinda doubt it's good for the industry as a whole .

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I was actually fairly impressed with how nice Destiny looked when I first played it. Too bad those worlds are wasted on such a trash game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean, the screenshots show the character models and weapons which are some of the most important aspects of the game, graphically speaking, as it's a FPS (landscape/terrain would be the other important factor). Destiny doesn't exactly separate itself from other futuristic AAA shooters when it comes to its aesthetics. I'm sure the game has other strengths, but graphics and art design doesn't appear to be one of them.

Literally every critical voice I have ever heard talk about Destiny disagrees.

Pro-tip: don't try to talk in-depth about things you're unfamiliar with. At least Share admits ahead of time when he's ignorant about something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad