What is your top indie game of all time?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Braid
Limbo
The Mummy: Demastered
Shovel Knight
Amnesia
Dear Esther
Marble Blast Ultra
(the "sequel" that just came out called Marble It up is good, but will be better when they add multiplayer in 2019. Really wish they had the bumper boost too. For some reason that makes the game so much more fun. )

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not 100% sure what exactly constitutes indie? Non Triple A?

I did love the Stanley Parable and Among the Sleep.

Also not sure if considered indie but Euro Truck Simulator is awesome, especially with pro mods.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Pyre is amazing. Truly an interesting and unique game. Very different from Bastion and Transistor.

Easily the best SuperGiant game IMO, although I haven't tried Hades yet.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try out Pyre soon as I just replayed Bastion for the first time since it came out and am loving it.

Not 100% sure what exactly constitutes indie? Non Triple A?

It's a difficult definition/category of games, but I am just basing it off games released by indie game developers. These are usually very small developers with only a few people working on each game. The games are generally retro/artistic, smaller in scope and style, and overall more unique. It gets tricky when indie games blow up (see Rocket League), or big developers release indie-style games (like Ubisoft developing a game like Child of Light).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Another indie I liked, perhaps one of the precursors to the current trend. Darwinia. I actually have a boxed copy of it.

It's a difficult definition/category of games, but I am just basing it off games released by indie game developers. These are usually very small developers with only a few people working on each game. The games are generally retro/artistic, smaller in scope and style, and overall more unique. It gets tricky when indie games blow up (see Rocket League), or big developers release indie-style games (like Ubisoft developing a game like Child of Light).

I prefer the technical definition for maximum simplicity.
Indie = independent. No separate publisher.

I'd also say the self publisher can't be publishing other stuff. IE Bethesda or CD Projekt games aren't indie just because they are self published, when they are established publishers/distributors themselves.

I'd be fine with adding a dollar figure limit too but it's fungible.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Firewatch is my favourite (for a game with no combat to be that intense, you’ve done something very right), but an honourable mention to Minecraft and Rocket League. All 3 went well beyond what you expect out of an indie game

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Star traders frontiers is pretty awesone, Templar battleforce is great too and from the same devs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Some from your list, some not:

Divinity OS
FTL

Risk of Rain
Firewatch
Cuphead
Subnautica
Moonlighter
SOMA
Kingsway
Into the Breach
Pyre
Dead Cells
Night in the Woods

Firewatch and SOMA are probably my favorites here. Absolutely in love with both of those games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I almost forgot my favorite indie by far, Furi. Probably my favorite game I played in 2016.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Braid
Limbo
The Mummy: Demastered
Shovel Knight
Amnesia
Dear Esther
Marble Blast Ultra
(the "sequel" that just came out called Marble It up is good, but will be better when they add multiplayer in 2019. Really wish they had the bumper boost too. For some reason that makes the game so much more fun. )
That Mummy Demastered soundtrack is a club banger man. It's so so so good.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
On this topic, GOG is giving away SOMA for free right now.

Pick it up. It's terrifying. Not in the jump scares way, but just the theme and setting.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Instant Classics
Celeste
Dead Cells

Repayable and Great
Shovel Knight
Bastion
Braid

Meh
Hollow Knight
Limbo

Of what I've played. I never understood the hype around Hollow Knight. I was beyond bored.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Of what I've played. I never understood the hype around Hollow Knight. I was beyond bored.

Granted I don't feel like I have given it a real chance yet......but I don't understand what is so special about the game. Feels like any other Metroidvania to me.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I absolutely hated Hollow Knight. I'm not a huge fan of Metroidvanias to begin with, but this one repelled me almost instantly. I don't even really know why. I think one reason was having to find each area map.

It's petty, I know.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
On this topic, GOG is giving away SOMA for free right now.

Pick it up. It's terrifying. Not in the jump scares way, but just the theme and setting.

Also currently free on PS+ for a few more days, along with Onrush.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Kenshi is the best indie game I have ever played. I have sunk 100h in it so far and barely made it out of the starting zone. My team of Ninja assassins needs to train a little bit longer before they can take care of businesses out in the vast desert.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
probably Darkest Dungeon. although I may be forgetting something

ive been meaning to get round to Dead Cells

EDIT: didnt occur to me that DOS1+2 are considered indie, those were fantastic

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Kind of surprised not to see ‘Quern’ on here. It’s a GREAT puzzle game, in the same vein as Myst, but has some key elements that set it apart.

Before it got popular League of Legends could have been considered an indie game. It was a great MOBA with excellent developer support for quite some time. Not sure how it is now, as I dropped off after it went mainstream and focused more on competitive play.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Kind of surprised not to see ‘Quern’ on here. It’s a GREAT puzzle game, in the same vein as Myst, but has some key elements that set it apart.

Before it got popular League of Legends could have been considered an indie game. It was a great MOBA with excellent developer support for quite some time. Not sure how it is now, as I dropped off after it went mainstream and focused more on competitive play.

That's true, and regarding LoL the same applies to Counter-Strike and DoTA as they were just mods to begin.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Echochrome
Rymdkapsel
Stanley Parable
Antichamber
VVVVVV
Thomas Was Alone

I know my tastes are strange and I verge towards minimalism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad