Speculation: What is the missing move this summer?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like just about every team "isn't done making moves" yet we're at the point in the year where very little happens between now and training camp.

I also expect Minnesota to swap out one of their young defenders - Spurgeon/Scandella/Dumba/Brodin for offensive help.

Me, too, but it's getting late.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No offense but jersey is a couple good forwards away from playoffs imo even if they add a good top4d

the Devils forward corps this year will be so much better than last year its not even funny.

Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, and Cammalleri are all legit top 6 forwards. Add in Zajac and Boucher plus Zacha/Quenneville/McLeod coming up

the Devils need a top 4 DMan more than they need another forward right now.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
the Devils forward corps this year will be so much better than last year its not even funny.

Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, and Cammalleri are all legit top 6 forwards. Add in Zajac and Boucher plus Zacha/Quenneville/McLeod coming up

Well if anyone knows the cost of a legit top 4 Dman it's the Devils.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

I agree they need a d more but they still aren't all that close...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yakupov is supposed to be moving. Haven't seen that yet.

I'm still waiting for Nash to be traded.

Yakupov is not moving unless we get a good offer . Forget what you read , Chia has said Yakupov never mention wanting to be traded to him so all we have is his agent running his month until we hear it from Yakupov .

Also I don't have proof but I believe Hall had Yakupov isolated in the dressing room . Yakupov is a non drinker and Hall is known to like to party so Yakupov was the outcast . Now Hall partying is nothing like Kane's where he in trouble . Just my gut tells me Yakupov was the outcast . Hoping Lucic takes the kid under his wing .

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Don't think the Habs are done yet ithier have to think they are going to grab a 2nd Lw or a top 4 d Man before the season starts.

Would love for Bergevin to trade for JVR to fill that 2LW spot. Would be a great fit to our top 6, but I honestly don't think he will. I think MB will let the kids fight it out to fill that spot.
As for the D. I think that's where Bergevin will focus his attention and efforts. Finding a partner for Weber. Fowler comes to mind, but is there a trade to be made between MTL and ANA?

Perfect scernario, he does both and we go all in.
But that's about as likely as Therrien becoming a Stanley Cup Championship Coach.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really thought that Tampa would have shed a few players by now. Over then next few years I expect they'll be the most active team in terms of transactions after Vegas.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Not sure what the sarcasm level in your post, but I actually kind of am. Sounds like he is waiting for an offer/negotiating with Minnesota and Pittsburgh. Wild could actually use him as a good #4C/PK guy. He has shown he still has plenty of hockey left. Not sure what our GM is holding out for. He says he doesn't want to tie up money, in case a trade can be made. Cully will likely sign for <$1M, fills a need for us & I'm sure he would love to finish his career at home. Not exactly a contract that will make or break our roster flexibility. Get on it Fletcher. He'll make us better for a bargain price.

It's got to be pending a possible trade. If they pick up another pure center they have 4 for the top 3 lines and a filled out 4th line (Stewart - Schroeder - Whoever gets bumped). Plus Cullen would put them at 49 contracts so maybe GMCF feels he needs the contract flexibility still.

This is reaching though because I also don't know why he wouldn't sign Cullen to a sub 1x1 year deal. That solidifies the lineup and if they do make a trade all it does is bolster their depth.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Both the Devils and the Coyotes are looking really thin as far as skaters are concerned right now. They could both stand to add some more NHL calibre skaters. Maybe some PTOs or something?

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov is not moving unless we get a good offer . Forget what you read , Chia has said Yakupov never mention wanting to be traded to him so all we have is his agent running his month until we hear it from Yakupov .

Also I don't have proof but I believe Hall had Yakupov isolated in the dressing room . Yakupov is a non drinker and Hall is known to like to party so Yakupov was the outcast . Now Hall partying is nothing like Kane's where he in trouble . Just my gut tells me Yakupov was the outcast . Hoping Lucic takes the kid under his wing .

Normally, Id chalk it up as a GM trying to boost some value...but the more and more I see Yak continuously wearing Oilers apparel the more I believe he did not request a trade. Larionov is a terrible agent for Yak, hes the one who started the whole hoopla a few years back where people began to question Yaks character...hes always received bad advice from Larionov IMO. Hope he fires him soon and get a real agent, could be a nice start to Yak refreshing his hockey career.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Both the Devils and the Coyotes are looking really thin as far as skaters are concerned right now. They could both stand to add some more NHL calibre skaters. Maybe some PTOs or something?

the Devils are likely fine at forward at the moment IMO.

Hall
Henrique
Cammalleri
Palmieri
Zajac
Smith-Pelly
Boucher
Blandisi
Josefson
Fiddler
Kalinin
Bennett

plus I have a hard time believing that Pavel Zacha will not be on the team this year. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Hudler or Pirri, but I wouldn't count on it.

they could stand to add another DMan though, I absolutely agree. especially since Merrill might not be ready for the start of the season.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa ,is very much still looking for a center upgrade in their top 6 .If one is available,lots of good pieces could make this happen .Or we stand pat ,and roll with what we have

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Shocked the Wild haven't moved a young Dman for a center or RW. Also really annoyed.
We have a LW and a center as well as some nice prospects.That we could possibly be willing to move ,but dont need a defenseman.We need a Turris level LH center.Thinking there is going to be some sort of 3 way deal that should shake things loose:nod:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Colorado has to be making another move to actually improve their defense right?

Signing Tyutin and Wiercioch off the scrap heap cant honestly be their only moves this year to improve that D right?

Sakic is smarter than that, isnt he?

Not to mention Beauchemin just turned 36, he isnt going to hold up too much longer before turning into a pylon

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
the Devils are likely fine at forward at the moment IMO.

Hall
Henrique
Cammalleri
Palmieri
Zajac
Smith-Pelly
Boucher
Blandisi
Josefson
Fiddler
Kalinin
Bennett

plus I have a hard time believing that Pavel Zacha will not be on the team this year. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Hudler or Pirri, but I wouldn't count on it.

they could stand to add another DMan though, I absolutely agree. especially since Merrill might not be ready for the start of the season.

Okay, I'll be the guy to finally break it to you. The Hall signing gave you your first legit Top 3 forward. And an elite one in that, I won't take that away from you.

Cammalleri: still great, probably better suited for a second line role but he's still producing. Palmieri, Henrique: great young players with promising numbers, serviceable as first-liners especially if they complement Hall very well. But without that kind of insulation on the rest of your 3 lines, they'll struggle.

You've got a lot of good depth forwards (Zajac, DSP, Fiddler) and two very talented young players in Bennett and especially Zacha, but I don't expect them to carry a line on their own.

You absolutely need top pairing defenseman.

You're set with Schneider, again, I won't take that away from you.

So, you do have something, but when you compare it to what the rest of the league is doing- it's not a playoff competitive roster. I'd say similar things about Carolina, Columbus, and probably Vancouver. Arizona, Florida, and Winnipeg have all made steps toward improving. And I'd say the Hall signing addressed a huge need; but more moves are needed to bring you to middle-of-the-pack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad