Speculation: What is the missing move this summer?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Okay, I'll be the guy to finally break it to you. The Hall signing gave you your first legit Top 3 forward. And an elite one in that, I won't take that away from you.

Cammalleri: still great, probably better suited for a second line role but he's still producing. Palmieri, Henrique: great young players with promising numbers, serviceable as first-liners especially if they complement Hall very well. But without that kind of insulation on the rest of your 3 lines, they'll struggle.

You've got a lot of good depth forwards (Zajac, DSP, Fiddler) and two very talented young players in Bennett and especially Zacha, but I don't expect them to carry a line on their own.

You absolutely need top pairing defenseman.

You're set with Schneider, again, I won't take that away from you.

So, you do have something, but when you compare it to what the rest of the league is doing- it's not a playoff competitive roster. I'd say similar things about Carolina, Columbus, and probably Vancouver. Arizona, Florida, and Winnipeg have all made steps toward improving. And I'd say the Hall signing addressed a huge need; but more moves are needed to bring you to middle-of-the-pack.

I find it funny a Habs fan would comment on a Devils team. You guys are so similarly made up in terms of talent spread over your team that I wouldn't doubt each of these teams are battling each other most of the season.

I've only seen Nash mentioned twice here. He's one name I was sure would be on the move. But with Zibby in and Brass out, the cap is probably about the same savings there as would have been keeping Brass and getting less for Nash.
Bishop is clearly the main domino, once he drops I think you see a Shattenkirk to Boston deal, as I believe he'll give the chance to signing there and the deal will send him somewhere the Blues won't see him more than twice a year. But Bishop to Dallas around Niemi and some pluses will drop in less than 2 weeks but not before the weekend

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
I find it funny a Habs fan would comment on a Devils team. You guys are so similarly made up in terms of talent spread over your team that I wouldn't doubt each of these teams are battling each other most of the season.

I've only seen Nash mentioned twice here. He's one name I was sure would be on the move. But with Zibby in and Brass out, the cap is probably about the same savings there as would have been keeping Brass and getting less for Nash.
Bishop is clearly the main domino, once he drops I think you see a Shattenkirk to Boston deal, as I believe he'll give the chance to signing there and the deal will send him somewhere the Blues won't see him more than twice a year. But Bishop to Dallas around Niemi and some pluses will drop in less than 2 weeks but not before the weekend

I fully acknowledge that the only true top-line talent we had were Pacioretty, Subban, and Price. That's retained with Weber. Radulov could fit that mold easily, definitely not with this coaching staff. Galchenyuk is coming into his own and Gallagher is a great gritty 2nd liner. Plekanec also continued to put up decent numbers last season. I just think that New Jersey has more of a problem with their defence and top 6. But we both have an overabundance of "character" players that Therrien is so fired up on. At the end of the day you have to be putting the puck in the net more than the other team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Okay, I'll be the guy to finally break it to you. The Hall signing gave you your first legit Top 3 forward. And an elite one in that, I won't take that away from you.

Cammalleri: still great, probably better suited for a second line role but he's still producing. Palmieri, Henrique: great young players with promising numbers, serviceable as first-liners especially if they complement Hall very well. But without that kind of insulation on the rest of your 3 lines, they'll struggle.

You've got a lot of good depth forwards (Zajac, DSP, Fiddler) and two very talented young players in Bennett and especially Zacha, but I don't expect them to carry a line on their own.

You absolutely need top pairing defenseman.

You're set with Schneider, again, I won't take that away from you.

So, you do have something, but when you compare it to what the rest of the league is doing- it's not a playoff competitive roster. I'd say similar things about Carolina, Columbus, and probably Vancouver. Arizona, Florida, and Winnipeg have all made steps toward improving. And I'd say the Hall signing addressed a huge need; but more moves are needed to bring you to middle-of-the-pack.

the difference is those teams don't have the goaltending (outside of Florida, and Florida is better than NJ)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I fully acknowledge that the only true top-line talent we had were Pacioretty, Subban, and Price. That's retained with Weber. Radulov could fit that mold easily, definitely not with this coaching staff. Galchenyuk is coming into his own and Gallagher is a great gritty 2nd liner. Plekanec also continued to put up decent numbers last season. I just think that New Jersey has more of a problem with their defence and top 6. But we both have an overabundance of "character" players that Therrien is so fired up on. At the end of the day you have to be putting the puck in the net more than the other team.

Gallagher is a first-line forward by every metric possible. People labelling him as "gritty" are partly right but his overall game is so much more than that. Its selling him short tbh. BG would be my top choice on the Habs for a shoot-out for exemple. He has high offensive talent, its just that he happen to play the specific role of crashing the net and annoy the goalie and defenders etc. etc. Imo he has a similar pure skill level as a guy like Oshie, but he plays a more physical game. Which means he absolutely is a first-line forward, and a very good one at that. If the guy was 6 feet 2-3 inches and 25 pounds heavier he would be in contention for the Hart imo. He can do everything on the ice and brings intangibles with his drive and enthusiasm.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
the Devils are likely fine at forward at the moment IMO.

Hall
Henrique
Cammalleri
Palmieri
Zajac
Smith-Pelly
Boucher
Blandisi
Josefson
Fiddler
Kalinin
Bennett

plus I have a hard time believing that Pavel Zacha will not be on the team this year. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Hudler or Pirri, but I wouldn't count on it.

they could stand to add another DMan though, I absolutely agree. especially since Merrill might not be ready for the start of the season.

Quite honestly I'm hoping they add BOTH Pirri and HUDS

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
the Devils are likely fine at forward at the moment IMO.

Hall
Henrique
Cammalleri
Palmieri
Zajac
Smith-Pelly
Boucher
Blandisi
Josefson
Fiddler
Kalinin
Bennett

plus I have a hard time believing that Pavel Zacha will not be on the team this year. I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Hudler or Pirri, but I wouldn't count on it.
they could stand to add another DMan though, I absolutely agree. especially since Merrill might not be ready for the start of the season.

Who are you aiming at as a top 4 D man? I absolutely agree I'm just seeing your opinion.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

As an outside fan. I'd say your two teams are quite similar in every aspect of roster make up IMHO. The Devils have just as many guys who COULD be elite this year, just as many as the Habs. But both teams lack high end scoring, have decent defensive depth(one younger than the other) while having very similar top end goaltending.
I feel both teams will score in the 205-220 range full season and both will be around the 85-93 point range this season. Likely bubble teams fighting each other tooth and nail till game 82 for a wildcard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad