Speculation: What is Columbus up too?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
With how desperate they've become to shed cap, I have to believe it's Petro, Hall or an offer sheet to a star player(not sure if they have the picks to do this?). I find it hard to believe that they're doing this for Mike Hoffman.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t see Hoffman and Torts as a good match. At all!

I didn't see Domi as a match for Torts. If they have PLD, Nyquist, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Domi and Hoffman that is alot of snipe. Something they haven't had in a long.. well ever. Torts will adapt.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He’s 31, no defense, not really a good playmaker. I initially was positive about going after him but upon closer look I think we better stay away

Thats why I would this Haula and Granlund would be better fits. Haula could be cheap, but he has had some health-issues. Granlund is also sound defensively. He just had personal issues with traded to Nashville, no connection with linemates and then baby died. He should bounce back caude he is still young and the talent is there. Both are probably Torts kinda players

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I didn't see Domi as a match for Torts. If they have PLD, Nyquist, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Domi and Hoffman that is alot of snipe. Something they haven't had in a long.. well ever. Torts will adapt.
Domi has much more snarl and grit than Hoffman. And while neither is ever going to win a selkie, Domi puts forth a better definsive effort.
Hoffman is a pretty one dimensional player. He is really good at that one thing but he doesn’t offer much else.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Domi has much more snarl and grit than Hoffman. And while neither is ever going to win a selkie, Domi puts for a better definsive effort.
Hoffman is a pretty on dimensional player. He is really good at that one thing but he doesn’t offer much else.

He had issues with Julien, who is a hardnosed coach in the same vein of Tortorella. I'm not going to disagree on the defense part Hoffman is a defensive liability that scores 30 goals. His shot is lethal, his skating is superb. If that is your argument on Hoffman, then you already lost.

Reactions: bert

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I just hope it ends with David Savard being a Leaf he's a PERFECT fit and can likely be had cheap based on the way they are dumping players.

The ONLY problem is Savard's term

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Torts is fine with offensive players as long as they work hard for him and do all the little things he asks of them. Torts seems to have more problems with established veterans though.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I just hope it ends with David Savard being a Leaf he's a PERFECT fit and can likely be had cheap based on the way they are dumping players.

The ONLY problem is Savard's term

I always though Savard was a better fit than Barrie. He is older in NHL terms im not sure if an extension would be beneficial for the Leafs TBH.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Torts is fine with offensive players as long as they work hard for him and do all the little things he asks of them. Torts seems to have more problems with established veterans though.

Debatable... he has been known to give less offensive more veteran guys more icetime.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
As a Montreal fan I am cheering for an offersheet.

The world we are living in is crazy, why not adding some more shannanigan/entertainement

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As a Montreal fan I am cheering for an offersheet.

The world we are living in is crazy, why not adding some more shannanigan/entertainement
I can't wait for the day when offersheets aren't viewed as some sort of a personal slap in the face

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
He had issues with Julien, who is a hardnosed coach in the same vein of Tortorella. I'm not going to disagree on the defense part Hoffman is a defensive liability that scores 30 goals. His shot is lethal, his skating is superb. If that is your argument on Hoffman, then you already lost.
Good luck then. I’m not a Cbus fan and Hoffman doesn’t fit my teams needs. I hope you get him then.
Not sure how I lost the argument that Hoffman is one dimensional but I hope it works out for you.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
If its capspace for Pietrangelo and they get him I wouldnt be surprised to see Werenski / Jones traded for a big piece like Laine or Marner.

Reactions: LoneFunyan and DRC

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Good luck then. I’m not a Cbus fan and Hoffman doesn’t fit my teams needs. I hope you get him then.
Not sure how I lost the argument that Hoffman is one dimensional but I hope it works out for you.

While I agree that defense should be held accountable, people are more forgiving when you score around 30 goals per season. If you are criticizing his defensive play, I aint gonna argue that.. not in the slightest. :P

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO he is planning a retool to try and be a top 3 cup contender for the next 3 years. He has so many options now due to him being the first to break rank (rather than everyone else "wait and see") it's not even funny. I bet his plan is relatively fluid other than a major move or two. He will have a young team and a talented team.

He could potentially eat several of the big fish in UFA. That's like adding 4-6 first rounders worth of talent by taking a minor loss of something like a few second rounders. Insane trade off if true.

He could offer sheet the talent in Tampa and/or NYI. That's grabbing high end talent for like 70 cents on the dollar if he succeeds.

If the offer sheets are matched, he can circle back and try and nab assets for 60-70 cents on the dollar for the teams now desperate to be cap compliant. If they refuse and dump assets to non contenders, this still benefits CBJ.

Of the teams rumored to be planning to dump salary towards the floor and refuse to compete (Arizona and Buffalo for instance) he can try and nab pieces at 60-70 cents on the dollar again.

And that's just assets.

Once the dust settles, I think only 3-4 teams look to remain contenders AND be on the upswing from the eastern conference.

The vast majority of the contending teams out east are in the down swing due to cap structure, loss of key players, or likely stagnation due to aging cores. Rest are unlikely to be competitive due to a variety of other reasons.

That's one of the best opportunities to have one of the more unobstructed paths to chase the cup than normal years.

CBJ and Carolina are my favorites out east right now to make ballsy moves to steal the pole position as top team in the east.

West I don't know yet. There's a few gm who are looking to do massive retool and it just depends if they actually try to pull it off. I hope calgary figures out how to jump into the uncontested top 5 from out west though.

I hope it's that crazy. I'm pretty excited to see what happens. :) Nothing is guaranteed, but the current environment is an unprecedented opportunity to try and gamble with better odds than normal.

Last edited:

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Granlund would be quite good.
He has potential to be mutch more than he was in Nashville. And as said dead kid and other problems hindered him there.
Granlund is bound to make comeback but with less salary.
Also he is no quitter even not a physical force.

Hall. Dunno. Every time I have seen him play in kast 2 years he has been kinda floater. Skilled but still.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

If Domi plays like he did this past year expect Torts to literally glue his ass on the bench. But if he plays like he did the year before y'all gonna love him. It's more than a decent gamble for two years. Certainly safer than Josh Anderson for seven years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad