What happens with Uncle Leo?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Leo embodies the flip flop nature of Leafs nation.

“Hey, let’s get rid of the country club atmosphere”

“Yay. Babcock says he will reward work ethic with ice time. Finally the country club is closed.”

“Hey. How come my favourites don’t get ice time and Leo does? That’s nuts. We should reward skill with ice time.”

I like how you just entirely gloss over playing ability to make your point. Leo Komarov of 2017-2018 is not the same quality player as Leo Komarov of 2016-2017.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
A) let him walk
B) 1 year x 3 mil. Trade at deadline to make room for someone + pick up late pick.

I’m good with either.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Leo embodies the flip flop nature of Leafs nation.

“Hey, let’s get rid of the country club atmosphere”

“Yay. Babcock says he will reward work ethic with ice time. Finally the country club is closed.”

“Hey. How come my favourites don’t get ice time and Leo does? That’s nuts. We should reward skill with ice time.”

Don’t think it’s flip flopping, it’s just attrition and not getting over enamoured with non core players. Leo’s a character, but a 4th liner on a good team. Good teams can’t afford to overpay for 4th liners and the Leafs are knocking on the door of being really good. No room for sentiment.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'm thinking they will sign him for 1 year around 2.5 and then next year at this time when the call ups start happening you will see him become a healthy scratch more frequently as Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Johnnson or whoever gets a good look. Then you thank him for his services and send him on his way to the KHL the following year.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Except that argument falls apart when we have players that work hard and are more talented but don't get the ice-time. There are players that can be more effective in his role and we don't need him anymore.

Missed the live stream to practices, dressing room discussions and such....

Your perception of on ice work ethic is obviously different than Babcock’s.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I like how you just entirely gloss over playing ability to make your point. Leo Komarov of 2017-2018 is not the same quality player as Leo Komarov of 2016-2017.

Nope. He isn’t. And for the record,I would have traded him at last year’s deadline, the summer or this one... regardless of playoff positioning.

However, the team chose to keep him. And like it or not, he does work hard. The team set a charter that rewards work ethic. So he plays. Not 25 a night but probably takes some shifts more talented players.

The bigger picture Babcock is trying to develop is a Leo-like work ethic in the talented players.

I don’t endorse it or condemn it. I’m simply telling you what it is.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
He's long, long gone. Enjoy him for the next (hopefully) 3 and a half months because only an idiot would resign him.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He's long, long gone. Enjoy him for the next (hopefully) 3 and a half months because only an idiot would resign him.

Hold on.

So if you could sign Leo for 1 year $1.3 million you dont do it?? I know we have options in the Marlies, but if those guys are really ready, than sign Leo and have those guys earn the spot over him like Kapanen did to unseat Martin

Reactions: moon111

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Hold on.

So if you could sign Leo for 1 year $1.3 million you dont do it?? I know we have options in the Marlies, but if those guys are really ready, than sign Leo and have those guys earn the spot over him like Kapanen did to unseat Martin

No I wouldn't. He's been awful this year in my opinion. I'd rather see a kid in that role at this point.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He really has sucked hard this season. The only way they should resign him is if there was some kind of treatable medical issue that made him so ineffective. He reminds me of Grabo when his game started to go south. Would not surprise me if he has been suffering concussion issues. I think he's done.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Missed the live stream to practices, dressing room discussions and such....

Your perception of on ice work ethic is obviously different than Babcock’s.

Maybe Bab's is using him as a stop gap until the players are ready or maybe he's just wrong in thinking he is the best option?

Just because he is being relied on this year doesn't mean he will be re-signed especially since his role has diminished as the year has gone on.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I’m at the point where... if he plays another minute I’m gonna f***ing lose my mind

Guys the biggest pos in the league
Babcock is a bigger moron for using him

Reactions: Moonman

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Komarov only has 50% more PP-time then Leivo. It's not really a whole lot, but yeah it's really questionable why he'd be out there. Although knowing Babcock, he doesn't trust his PP to stay on the right side of the puck? I question whether players in the minors are ready to take on C.Brown or Dominic Moore level penalty-killing time ...not a chance they're touching Komarov or Hyman yet.

Here's a list of players with their goals-against (minus PP goals scored against) and their +/-.

Marleau 49 +1
Marner 48 -5
Nylander 46 +18
JVR 43 -6
Brown 42 -2
Kadri 40 +5
Hyman 39 +21
Bozak 37 +1
Matthews 36 +23
Komarov 30 +1 (8th in even-strength ice-time)
Martin 18 -2
Moore 15 +3
Kapanen 6 +1
Gauthier 6 -4
Plekanec 2 -1
Fehr 2 -1
Soshnikov 2 -2
Leivo 5 -1

Komarov isn't scoring, but he's been solid defensively. The offense opens him up to competition from the minors, but
he has a job as long as he keeps up the defense and will sign for a reasonable amount.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He is a 4th liner but Babcock is using him like a guy that can play anywhere in the lineup. I really don't want to see that again next season. What the hell does Babcock see in his game?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If Komarov was allowed to piggy-back JVR, the Leafs would be legitimate Cup contenders.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
We have Babcock as our coach. He's being resigned. Playing 15+ minutes a night next year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why would we pay for mediocracy?
Why not? Why would we pay a 2nd round pick for mediocrity? But we did. While not addressing problems long term. We pretty much stand to lose the majority of the bottom 6 on this team (if Willy stays at C).
We are weak at C in this scenario. Both on the team and in the organization.
We still haven't addressed a top 4 D badly needed.
Kapanen is currently the most talented player being promoted in our system. The others aren't rated as high IMO.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With every game more and more fans jump off the Leo bandwagon. Hoping he is saving up his sh1t disturbing for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad