What happens with Uncle Leo?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You can't give term to 4th liners, you just can't. Just look at Martin.
Exactly. We protected him in the expansion draft too and now half a year later he's done as a leaf. It's sad but it's incredibly poor asset management to put trust in obviously declining 4th line guys

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Exactly. We protected him in the expansion draft too and now half a year later he's done as a leaf. It's sad but it's incredibly poor asset management to put trust in obviously declining 4th line guys

Martin was even 5 years younger than Leo is now at the time of his contract. So how does that make sense to give a 32 year old Komarov a 3 year deal or whatever?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Martin was even 5 years younger than Leo is now at the time of his contract. So how does that make sense to give a 32 year old Komarov a 3 year deal or whatever?
It doesn't at all. I really hope our management sees it but I have no reason to suspect that they won't

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
His decline has begun, and it's only going to get worse. Time to move on, regardless of the money involved.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leo embodies the flip flop nature of Leafs nation.

“Hey, let’s get rid of the country club atmosphere”

“Yay. Babcock says he will reward work ethic with ice time. Finally the country club is closed.”

“Hey. How come my favourites don’t get ice time and Leo does? That’s nuts. We should reward skill with ice time.”

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leo embodies the flip flop nature of Leafs nation.

“Hey, let’s get rid of the country club atmosphere”

“Yay. Babcock says he will reward work ethic with ice time. Finally the country club is closed.”

“Hey. How come my favourites don’t get ice time and Leo does? That’s nuts. We should reward skill with ice time.”

Except, you know, you have to be a good player to get ice time. Komarov is not that good anymore.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I'm guilty of loving the players on the team (for the most part) and Komarov holds some fond memories! It'll be sad to see him go but it's probably time. If he can stick around cheap for 1 more year I'd love it though. Just keep him off the PP, lines 1-3 and for the love of god no more OT.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
He is my Roman Polak. Complete line killer. Seems like a great guy. But please move on.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Except, you know, you have to be a good player to get ice time. Komarov is not that good anymore.

You just highlighted the point.

Babcock believes playing time is earned. If you play soft and don’t work, he will go to a less talented guy who “plays the right way”

Talent has nothing to do with culture change.

It’s a process and about setting the right org culture for years to come.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if management is smart they'll let him walk. even if he asks for a reasonable contract, don't give it to him. we have replacements in the minors and we don't need him to waste a roster spot/contract spot.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Actually, I will re-phrase my original opinion. If the Leafs move Martin, they need a 4th liner. He could be that. Even if they don't, they could use bottom 6 competition for guys like Leivo, Martin and Johnsson. Komarov does fit the bill there as well, but it'd be for a 1 mill contract at best and he wouldn't be guaranteed anything. Likely not idea for him, but it's something the Leafs could use.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-4C-Martin
4C/Bottom 6 depth

4C: One is Gauthier, the other is a UFA we sign.
Bottom 6 depth: UFA. Would compete with Leivo, Johnsson, Kapanen and Martin for ice time. Likely won't get much ice time, but that is a spot Komarov could fill. If the Leafs trade Martin, then he could take his 4RW spot if the Leafs do not find a UFA or another player to do that as well.

I will also say that besides Grundstrom, Korshkov and Aaltonen, all of which I think the Leafs start in the AHL for next year, there are not really any internal competitors from the Marlies now that Rychel is gone. Timashov, Moore and Bracco all need more time. They can afford to bring in a guy for one year to buy time essentially until those first three are ready. Aaltonen at the very least would be ready for either the 4C job or a job on the wing somewhere.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
You just highlighted the point.

Babcock believes playing time is earned. If you play soft and don’t work, he will go to a less talented guy who “plays the right way”

Talent has nothing to do with culture change.

It’s a process and about setting the right org culture for years to come.

Except that argument falls apart when we have players that work hard and are more talented but don't get the ice-time. There are players that can be more effective in his role and we don't need him anymore.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
if management is smart they'll let him walk. even if he asks for a reasonable contract, don't give it to him. we have replacements in the minors and we don't need him to waste a roster spot/contract spot.

A reasonable contract, for a fourth liner, to me would be under 1 mil 1 year. Leo can likely do better. Every cap dollar is going to become more and more important as time goes on.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
A reasonable contract, for a fourth liner, to me would be under 1 mil 1 year. Leo can likely do better. Every cap dollar is going to become more and more important as time goes on.
if i were management i wouldn't even think of re-signing him. we've got options to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad