What happened to Pettersson’s production?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
He's slumping a bit and probably has a nagging injury.

It's fine, players are human. You ever feel like sometimes you're better at things than other times? Guess what, you might be human too.

Hfboards is always full of morons who declare that a star on a hot streak is 'teh gratezt evah XD RAWR' and a star slumping is 'teh suxor'.

I wish that you had to prove you've mastered object permanence to sign up for this site, but until that time we get threads full of the comments in here (not directed at OP but at a few responses).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
His game really has to mature at some point to be worth that deal they just gave him. Can't have a 8 figure player only play well for half a season. We'll see what he looks like in the playoffs but either way he's got to hit the gym this summer. The beanpole thing is no longer endearing.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Maybe he had some of Karlsson's pre-game meal. Should be enough to throw anybody off.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Him and Nylander both been in a slump for 20ish games

Both got paid big money but havent been as great as expected post signing

Big playoffs for both guys would go a long way to appease any fans questioning if the deals they got will be worth it

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
PDO

I remember canucks fans telling me that his on-ice shooting% was sustainable, though.
Have you had a look at his wingers down the stretch?

Also you know a player is great when he is having a PPG + season and people are asking why.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Probably injured but also doesnt break a sweat during games. Laughs on the bench when the team is losing, stone faced most of the time when the team needs motivation and someone to step up. Has all the talent in the world but knows it and ends up looking like a nobody most of the time lately. But when he is on he is unstoppable or at least was. Such a frustrating player

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't think it's coincidence that his stance all along was, 'no contract talk until off-season' and then suddenly his offense dries up (relatively) and the deal gets done.

EP suffered some kind of injury, or worsening of an earlier injury, and he knew he wasn't going to have a strong finish and improve on last year so he had to sign before he lost that leverage.

Just MO
Or maybe he didn't wanna do it cuz it would throw his game and it did

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
The first half of the 21-22 season he was playing like he is now - like a 3rd line centre.

This isn't the first time this has happened. He's a very rollercoaster type of player. Streaky doesn't quite do it justice, the ups can last for quite a while, as can the downs.

Not what you want or expect out of an 11.6M$ player. But I've watched his career very closely since day one, and he's always been this guy. He's not a consistent game changer.

We gave 11.6M to out 2C when our 1C makes 8M a year. Make sense of that....

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
The first half of the 21-22 season he was playing like he is now - like a 3rd line centre.

This isn't the first time this has happened. He's a very rollercoaster type of player. Streaky doesn't quite do it justice, the ups can last for quite a while, as can the downs.

Not what you want or expect out of an 11.6M$ player. But I've watched his career very closely since day one, and he's always been this guy. He's not a consistent game changer.

We gave 11.6M to out 2C when our 1C makes 8M a year. Make sense of that....

It's pretty easy to make sense of. Pettersson is 25 and hasn't hit his peak, JT Miller is 31 and is likely having his career peak season. 3 years from now, Pettersson's contract will be a better value than JT Millers. Just use a bit of foresight.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Linemates haven't helped. Last year Kuzmenko was money but this season looked lost for the most part. Hoglander has been a spark plug but is still a 3rd line type player at this point. Mikheyev is his other common winger who has hands of stone at the best of times but for most of this season he's been pretty bad in other aspects, as well. Most often Pettersson is the only one capable of creating on his line and even when he does, his teammates don't convert.

Then there are his own issues: he's fragile both physically and seemingly mentally, at least when it comes to confidence. Maybe he is injured but it's not uncommon for him to go through stretches where he just looks docile; the notion that "he's probably a little banged up" will probably follow him around every season going forward, too, until he matures and finds the type of consistency you expect from a player of his caliber and price tag.

As far as I know his underlying numbers have been fine throughout the season even during his apparent dips in play but eye-test wise he's been frustrating to watch for most Canucks fans.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This screams "I dont watch the Canucks play"
Of course not all the games. But I still assumed they wouldn't be able to maintain their historical and almost unprecedented 105.0 PDO. It's a statistical prediction; it doesn't require watching the games. And, well, the statistics are being corrected, aren't they? So what are you trying to argue?

I still do watch Canucks though, because they're one of my priority teams. I watch the good Canadian teams as a priority(I cheer for Canada over USA in NHL), and while Leafs and Oilers are above Canucks in priority, I still watch them a decent amount. So it's not quite accurate to say that I don't watch them. I've watched them more than a person who only sees their own team play vs Canucks, for example. Even if Leafs are my most-watched team.

Also, as someone who watches every single team in NHL, I might have more perspective than someone who only watches one team. I'm also not a fan of any one team, which also might give me more perspective. Something to think about.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Elias Pettersson has hovered around top 5-10 in scoring most of the season until he suddenly hit a wall about a month ago and basically stopped producing. Now he’s in danger of dropping out the top 20. What’s behind it? A groin injury?
Suspected wrist injury again.

He didn't shoot the puck the last couple months. Just started shooting once again.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wrist injury imo

Petey is not shooting like he usually does, mostly muffins for a month and a bit now, It’s pretty obvious

Reactions: wetcoast

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Precursor thread to the eventual “well he wasn’t healthy, of course they lost in (insert round here).”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad