What happened to Pettersson’s production?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Elias Pettersson has hovered around top 5-10 in scoring most of the season until he suddenly hit a wall about a month ago and basically stopped producing. Now he’s in danger of dropping out the top 20. What’s behind it? A groin injury?

Reactions: Tofveve

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Elias Pettersson has hovered around top 5-10 in scoring most of the season until he suddenly hit a wall about a month ago and basically stopped producing. Now he’s in danger of dropping out the top 20. What’s behind it? A groin injury?
Not sure. Somethings different-- maybe nursing something. But no one has mentioned anything. Maybe a confidence thing.

Reactions: PaulD

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Seems like he's been nursing something a lot of the season. His shot isn't as deadly as past years and he's playing to cycle and not just snipe goals like in past seasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He’s been pretty mediocre for a lot of the year but was propped up by the hot start and then brief glimpses of his last year self where he’d have big games. Add in that he hasn’t had linemates that can carry him when he’s not at his best and the PP sputtering since February (though looking better recently), and here we are. Hard to say if something has been affecting him this year but it’s so off and on it might just be mental. When he’s not moving his feet and being aggressive, he’s just not the same player. But his shot and stick handling aren’t as strong either.

PDO

I remember canucks fans telling me that his on-ice shooting% was sustainable, though.

Sustainable from when? He has a higher on-ice shooting percentage this year 5v5 than last year. And even in the last 20 games where he has only 14 points and dropped out of the top 10 in scoring, he has an on-ice shooting percentage 5v5 of 11.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham and hn777

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It hasn't really dropped off, so much as it popped off last year. 2 seasons ago, he had 68p in a full 82 game season. The season before was poor as well.

Kuzmenko and Miller are the only guys that EP ever really gelled with. Anyone else, and the line looks lost. There's no 'vintage' plays between Hughes and EP, or Boeser and EP.

EP is also lowkey bad on the PP, which keeps him from staying in that upper scoring level, and just doesn't have the skating for individual effort goals.

Reactions: hn777

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It hasn't really dropped off, so much as it popped off last year. 2 seasons ago, he had 68p in a full 82 game season. The season before was poor as well.

Kuzmenko and Miller are the only guys that EP ever really gelled with. Anyone else, and the line looks lost. There's no 'vintage' plays between Hughes and EP, or Boeser and EP.

EP is also lowkey bad on the PP, which keeps him from staying in that upper scoring level, and just doesn't have the skating for individual effort goals.

There was the one Colorado game with the bounce pass off the end boards back in 2018 lol

Reactions: Macheteops

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'm near certain he will have wrist or hand surgery this summer. When he is healthy, he shoots, when he is injured he rarely does. He simply isn't firing the puck the way he can. Biggest reason why our PP has struggles as of late. His 2 way game is still very string, but I am pretty confident he isn't close to 100%.

Also he has to play with Mikheyev, who might be the biggest black hole in the league, very play just dies on his stick.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He sucks on the PP.

He’s been nursing some sort of injury and hasn’t been shooting a lot. Compared to others at the top of the league, he’s played with below average/middle 6 linemates like Mikheyev, Hoglander, Suter, Lafferty, Kuzmenko. Kuzmenko couldn’t play in Tocchet’s system and was useless 5 on 5, and Mikheyev has been garbage for 90% of the season due to his ACL injury.

He’s still been one of our best defensive forwards on the team and has overall been a positive impact. He was producing at a 115 point pace before it was publicly noted he was nursing an injury.

If he was half decent on the PP this season he would have about 100ish points right now.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In the first 48 games of the season, he had an ish% of 18.94.

From game 49 to now, he has an ish% of 12.16. And that number is an average, so it's likely lower now.

Simply put, he's gone from scoring on roughly 1-in-5 shots to 1-in-10.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I like this site always when there are threads made about league stars slumping.

People love to pretend there HAS to be an injury.

Lots of times players just slump and can't produce

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I like this site always when there are threads made about league stars slumping.

Yep, that's the nature of an inherently random sport.

That's why you want players who can contribute in other ways when the puck isn't bouncing their way.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Sometimes watching a player night in and night out, you can clearly see when they are nursing an injury as well. When EP is healthy, he has 1 of the best shots in the league and can get it off regularly, when he is hurt, he simply does not shoot. I don't think he has shot more than once or twice a game over the past month.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Or you know he may actually be nursing an injury based on his performance where we have seen him shaking his wrist. Hard concept I know.

Reactions: bh53 and hn777

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I don't think it's coincidence that his stance all along was, 'no contract talk until off-season' and then suddenly his offense dries up (relatively) and the deal gets done.

EP suffered some kind of injury, or worsening of an earlier injury, and he knew he wasn't going to have a strong finish and improve on last year so he had to sign before he lost that leverage.

Just MO

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
EP has been 'injured' for the last 3 years, yet somehow it only flares up on the PP, or certain months, and with certain linemates. Also he doesn't miss any games like all our other injured players.

Bumps and bruises don't count, and that's all the coaches have ever eluded to. This is just who he is, a very inconsistent compete level and bizarre shot selection.

Reactions: E D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad