What happened to Pettersson’s production?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Aho has a worse supporting cast and still is better.

Not really. Jarvis, Teravainen and Svechnikov are better usual linemates than Mikheyev, Hoglander and Kuzmenko. And outside of Hughes, the Canes have the better D. Aho’s had a better year and is more consistent, but Pettersson has had the higher peak play.

That said, anyone thinking Aho was going the other way is out to lunch

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
EP has been 'injured' for the last 3 years, yet somehow it only flares up on the PP, or certain months, and with certain linemates. Also he doesn't miss any games like all our other injured players.

Bumps and bruises don't count, and that's all the coaches have ever eluded to. This is just who he is, a very inconsistent compete level and bizarre shot selection.

Eh, I think that’s still tbd. He was consistent in 19-20, and then was hurt in 20-21, came back playing like crap in 21-22, then turned it on and was consistent from the middle of 21-22 until the beginning of this year when there were first reports of injury. It’s possible this year has been something nagging that gets better and worse throughout the year. If he’s like this again next year I think it’s likely it’s just him, and the contract will be an overpayment.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He signed his contract t, you have 9 years of him dogging it ahead of you. Lol. Just kidding, could be nursing an injury

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In the first 48 games of the season, he had an ish% of 18.94.

From game 49 to now, he has an ish% of 12.16. And that number is an average, so it's likely lower now.

Simply put, he's gone from scoring on roughly 1-in-5 shots to 1-in-10.

More like 1 in 8.

But beyond shooting percentage, he isn’t shooting as much. From 2.75 to 2.3 shots per game. And noticeably isn’t shooting as well.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sustainable from when? He has a higher on-ice shooting percentage this year 5v5 than last year. And even in the last 20 games where he has only 14 points and dropped out of the top 10 in scoring, he has an on-ice shooting percentage 5v5 of 11.5.
I mean, his on-ice shooting percentage is 13.5 with which he quite literally leads the NHL.

So if he's been at 11.5 lately and before that point he was 14.95 isn't it quite accurate to say that he's been PDOing back down to earth?

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean, his on-ice shooting percentage is 13.5 with which he quite literally leads the NHL.

So if he's been at 11.5 lately and before that point he was 14.95 isn't it quite accurate to say that he's been PDOing back down to earth?

That’s why I asked since when because it was high last year as well and has been high throughout his career except for 21-22. And 11.5 is still on the high side. So it can explain to some degree his production dropping over the course of this year, but not why it’s dropped as much as it has, nor why he’s lower than last year.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Nobody knows for sure.

Could be an injury.

Could be a lack of motivation.

Could be a down season.

Could be a combination of all three.

Bottom line is that he doesn't look like the same player he was last season.

Hopefully he can turn things around.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
PDO

I remember canucks fans telling me that his on-ice shooting% was sustainable, though.
This screams "I dont watch the Canucks play"
Never forget when Canuck fans said he was worth Aho.
Even today I would not trade Petey for Aho. And I like Aho.

Uh, pretty much exactly when he signed his name on the dotted line of the new contract, no?
No. He was struggling before then. If 90point pete is him slumping. Can't wait for when he pulls himself out of the slump .

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I hate to post this because no one cares about anyone's fantasy team but he fully lost me my semi final match up putting up binoculars in all 3 games that week

Reactions: alicia

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Pettersson can be a very frustrating player to watch at times. He has an amazing shot but he’ll flat out refuse to shoot. He gets too passive and defers to his teammates, especially on the power play.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This screams "I dont watch the Canucks play"

Even today I would not trade Petey for Aho. And I like Aho.

No. He was struggling before then. If 90point pete is him slumping. Can't wait for when he pulls himself out of the slump .
Crazy that a slumping Pettersson still looks better than Draisaitl without McDavid.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Elias Pettersson has hovered around top 5-10 in scoring most of the season until he suddenly hit a wall about a month ago and basically stopped producing. Now he’s in danger of dropping out the top 20. What’s behind it? A groin injury?
Games are more difficult down the stretch.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He got hurt in November (didn't miss time but the media "speculated" for about three weeks).
Probably one of those injuries that can heal on its own, but can also be easily re-aggravated through contact sports. He has only looked good in bursts here and there.
I think it's his shoulder and he didn't want to risk surgery before he got his contract, and now it's close enough to the playoffs that he's just going to wait it out.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
As a Canucks fan—he’ll go through 10-game funks for a while where it feels like he does nothing.

And then for no apparent reason he’ll go and score 30 points in 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad