Speculation: What goalie will Carolina end up with?

Which goalie for Carolina?

• Total voters

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Agree.
Hopefully, it doesn’t come to the Canes having to deal Hamilton for such. But, with one year left on his deal, if he doesn’t sign this offseason, I think it’s a real possibility he gets shipped out like Faulk, Hanifin and Lindholm were. I’d think that sort of package would be about the best CAR could get for ufa to be Hamilton.

I’d much rather they sign him though and expect them to.

Faulk, Hanifin, and Lindholm were all underperforming expectations in Carolina before their contract negotiations. Hamilton was the opposite when he went down last season.

After being a square peg with 2 round hole teams, Dougie seems to have found a perfect home with Carolina. I've got to believe that if the Canes negotiate in good faith (instead of trying to bring him in at absolute rock bottom), Dougie will agree to a team friendly deal that's lower than market but still works for both sides.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What are your salary expectations?

I imagine as a UFA he could make north of 8 million. I know Carolina also has the Svechnikov contract coming up as well.

Pre-Covid, I'd say $8M would be a very easy re-sign. I think $8.5M for 5 or so yeatrs was the general expectation on the Canes board. On the open market, he might have been able to sniff $9M +.

Now, $8M might be on the high end of what he could expect. I'd also think he might not want to extend now to see how the financials go going into next offseason. That's where I think negotiations may go sour with the Canes. They'll very likely want to get him and Svechnikov signed this offseason, but the players may want to bet on economic recovery and higher paydays by waiting til next year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Pre-Covid, I'd say $8M would be a very easy re-sign. I think $8.5M for 5 or so yeatrs was the general expectation on the Canes board. On the open market, he might have been able to sniff $9M +.

Now, $8M might be on the high end of what he could expect. I'd also think he might not want to extend now to see how the financials go going into next offseason. That's where I think negotiations may go sour with the Canes. They'll very likely want to get him and Svechnikov signed this offseason, but the players may want to bet on economic recovery and higher paydays by waiting til next year.

Good points. I think even with the COVID effect on the cap, he would get 9 on the open market. If the Canes get him at 8ish on a 5ish year term, that's an incredible win for them.

Svech will be a little more interesting. Even on a bridge, I think he gets 8ish (based on Boeser, Rantanen, Point and minus the COVID factor). Long term...maybe 10x7? Hard to say, but I am really high on the kid.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Faulk, Hanifin, and Lindholm were all underperforming expectations in Carolina before their contract negotiations. Hamilton was the opposite when he went down last season.

After being a square peg with 2 round hole teams, Dougie seems to have found a perfect home with Carolina. I've got to believe that if the Canes negotiate in good faith (instead of trying to bring him in at absolute rock bottom), Dougie will agree to a team friendly deal that's lower than market but still works for both sides.

Faulk was a very good 2nd pair D in 2018-19. The Canes just didn't feel he was worth $6.5M per year. I'll give you Hanifin and Lindholm.

I think Hamilton stays in Raleigh. I just think it will be a long road to get his signature on a contract and I think if he's not signed by the start of the ufa period this offseason, the chances of him not staying grow exponentially.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I went with Lehner if only because I think that there's an outside possibility that he'd take less than market value for a long term deal. Sticking long term seems to be a key for him. If Carolina can trade Reimer (which I don't think would be a major issue), and they'd commit some term with at least some sort of NTC, I Think that there's a benefit for both parties.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I went with Lehner if only because I think that there's an outside possibility that he'd take less than market value for a long term deal. Sticking long term seems to be a key for him. If Carolina can trade Reimer (which I don't think would be a major issue), and they'd commit some term with at least some sort of NTC, I Think that there's a benefit for both parties.

I don’t think CAR would have too much issue trading either goalie, but yeah, Reimer would be the easier to deal due to what’s owed to him in real $$$ vs: his cap hit.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Faulk was a very good 2nd pair D in 2018-19. The Canes just didn't feel he was worth $6.5M per year. I'll give you Hanifin and Lindholm.

I think Hamilton stays in Raleigh. I just think it will be a long road to get his signature on a contract and I think if he's not signed by the start of the ufa period this offseason, the chances of him not staying grow exponentially.

I wasn't a Faulk fan, for a number of reasons. Having said that, I also thought he played quite well in 2018-19, by far his best season since I started following the team closely in 2014. But didn't most expect him to be a 1st pair level d-man, fair or not? His salary demands were certainly at that level, lol.

As a side note, I was a Lindholm fan and every season with the Canes I expected him to break out. Annoyed me to no end that he finally did it the season after he left the Canes.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wasn't a Faulk fan, for a number of reasons. Having said that, I also thought he played quite well in 2018-19, by far his best season since I started following the team closely in 2014. But didn't most expect him to be a 1st pair level d-man, fair or not? His salary demands were certainly at that level, lol.

As a side note, I was a Lindholm fan and every season with the Canes I expected him to break out. Annoyed me to no end that he finally did it the season after he left the Canes.

I dunno, pre-pandemic, $6.5M seems about right for a top 4 RD. But...hindsight is...heh...2020. And I bet the Blues regret that deal at this point.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Even that’s underselling him, he was a front runner for the Norris before he got injured hahaha.

He was, but how comfortable would you be acquiring him for 1 year and then hopefully paying him 8-9 million to stick around for a while?

Douggie is a risky re-sign for Carolina. I think they should do it, but lets not act like he's Josi or someone similar with Norris finalists seasons stacked up in previous years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even that’s underselling him, he was a front runner for the Norris before he got injured hahaha.

I was taking a safe road.

He's an awesome D-man but Slavin is a better type to build around for example.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To be fair, Carolina's struggles against Boston have not been a result of goaltending. No need to make excuses; they've just been outplayed by a superior hockey club. The platoon has won 2 to 3 rounds otherwise.

The link to Andersen and the consistent smoke about Lehner does point to a club that wants to do something. There is room to question the likelihood of a move if it's not a legit starter caliber goalie, though.

Agreed. Goaltending really isn't the weak point of the team.

Given their real money concerns and analytic staff in the front office, I'd guess Carolina is pretty comfortable going with a platoon goaltending system.

Sure, maybe if they can get Lehner at a reasonable contract, that could work. But I think the most likely outcome is they stand pat in net.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Canes should trade for Darcy Kuemper since his HDSV% has been top in the league for at least 3 years. Also if Askarov is available they should draft him. Dougie Hamilton was the best defenseman in the league this season before his injury, so if they trade him it’s going to be for a lot.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
1 -Sign Lehner, why trade a 2nd or whatever for a goalie when a great one is sitting right there?
2 - Draft bpa #13 or trade down for more picks
3 - Keep Reimer as the backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad