Speculation: What goalie will Carolina end up with?

Which goalie for Carolina?

• Total voters

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Canes would want him because he's an upgrade over their current goalies. Vegas trading him to sign Lehner serves no purpose if they can't clear cap space with the deal. They'd be better off buying him out than taking back a cap dump.

A Gardiner buyout would be friendlier than a Fleury buyout (+ = cap space gained/- = cap space lost):

Year 1: +$1.04 mil
Year 2: +$1.84 mil
Year 3: +$1.09 mil
Year 4: +$.69 mil
Year 5: -$1.39 mil
Year 6: -$1.39 mil

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Any Fleury deal for Vegas would need little to no cap coming back unless it's buyout friendly. I can't see any way they would take back Gardiner or Nino in a deal. The Knights starting roster for next year is pretty much already set as far as skaters go. Fleury + 3rd/4th for Reimer/Mrazek.

Canes aren't in a position to take on $5 million in Cap either. Don't see a deal working without closer to equal Cap going.

Sounds like Vegas may be better off buying out Fleury and Carolina looking to add him in Free Agency at a cheaper $$.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
A Gardiner buyout would be friendlier than a Fleury buyout (+ = cap space gained/- = cap space lost):

Year 1: +$1.04 mil
Year 2: +$1.84 mil
Year 3: +$1.09 mil
Year 4: +$.69 mil
Year 5: -$1.39 mil
Year 6: -$1.39 mil

If Gardiner could be done straight up that would work for Vegas, but the impression I'm getting is one of the Canes goalies would also have to be in the deal which probably wouldn't work for Vegas. Vegas needs to clear about 5m in my estimation for Lehner, assuming they aren't planning on bringing Cousins back.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
There’s been speculation that Darcy Kuemper might be available if the Coyotes decide to rebuild, which Elliotte Friedman states they will. Both Friedman and Coyotes insider Craig Morgan speculated that he would bring in the biggest return as their top asset. Personally I want to keep him, but I would understand if they choose this route.

Reactions: newsportsfan123

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I still think a deal around:

:leafs

Andreas Johnsson
Frederik Andersen

:canes

Dougie Hamilton
Petr Mrazek

Gives the Canes a goalie which they believe can put them over the top and another top 9 forward who can play the top 6.

Toronto can roll with a Mrazek + Campbell duo and carry the workload equally. Part of this is the Leafs get their top 4 RHD to play with Rielly or Muzzin.

Cap is pretty much identical. Canes are ok for cap. They take a hit at defense which they are loaded at with talent and up and comers as well. The Leafs take a little bit of a hit in net to get a big plus(as they really need a RHD) on defense.

Because the cap is pretty much identical. The Leafs fill a roster spot and still have goaltending and they can maybe get a mid tier RHD to filled the second pairing at a good cost. They can still afford to replace Johnsson with Robertson and re-sign Mikheyev.

The canes get deeper up front and get a good goalie to back that solid defense they have. They again don’t take on extra cap at the same time.

Seems like a win-win as it seems the Leafs probably aren’t going to be able to afford Andersen’s next contract after next season. They will be able to afford a Mrazek increase though. Canes will be also able to afford Andersen’s next increase and be solid for awhile in net.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Andreas Johnsson
Frederik Andersen

Dougie Hamilton
Petr Mrazek

Gives the Canes a goalie which they believe can put them over the top and another top 9 forward who can play the top 6.

Toronto can roll with a Mrazek + Campbell duo and carry the workload equally. Part of this is the Leafs get their top 4 RHD to play with Rielly or Muzzin.

Cap is pretty much identical. Canes are ok for cap. They take a hit at defense which they are loaded at with talent and up and comers as well. The Leafs take a little bit of a hit in net to get a big plus(as they really need a RHD) on defense.

Because the cap is pretty much identical. The Leafs fill a roster spot and still have goaltending and they can maybe get a mid tier RHD to filled the second pairing at a good cost. They can still afford to replace Johnsson with Robertson and re-sign Mikheyev.

The canes get deeper up front and get a good goalie to back that solid defense they have. They again don’t take on extra cap at the same time.

Seems like a win-win as it seems the Leafs probably aren’t going to be able to afford Andersen’s next contract after next season. They will be able to afford a Mrazek increase though. Canes will be also able to afford Andersen’s next increase and be solid for awhile in net.
This was totally GoOd until the bolded. I mean how can they afford Dougie if they cant afford Andersen?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Andreas Johnsson
Frederik Andersen

Dougie Hamilton
Petr Mrazek

Definitely not something Carolina entertains. If Hamilton can’t be extended they can do much better. He won’t move to get a decent goalie with just one year remaining.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Carolina is going to look at a short-term veteran goalie (Andersen, Fleury, Hutton, etc.) it wouldn't surprise me to see them look at Crawford. They could roll with Crawford/Mrazek or Crawford/Reimer for a year and have Nedeljkovic in Charlotte in case of a Crawford injury.

As far as the Hamilton trade above: I see two add-ons, but I'm still looking for the centerpiece in the deal.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Andreas Johnsson
Frederik Andersen

Dougie Hamilton
Petr Mrazek

This needs a heck of a lot more from the TOR side...

My stab at it...IF Hamilton prices himself out of Raleigh...

Andersen + 15OA + Liljgren/Johnsson

for

Hamilton + Foegele/McGinn/2nd

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Andreas Johnsson
Frederik Andersen

Dougie Hamilton
Petr Mrazek

Hahhahh Toronto getting a top pair RD in his mid prime for that

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Trade up to 10OA with Winnipeg for 12OA and Necas and draft Askarov!. Better they draft him before Nashville does

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This needs a heck of a lot more from the TOR side...

My stab at it...IF Hamilton prices himself out of Raleigh...

Andersen + 15OA + Liljgren/Johnsson

for

Hamilton + Foegele/McGinn/2nd

Where do I sign up?

Hamilton is great.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Not sure if serious...

if serious...hilarious laughter ensues at horrible proposal...

Joking, thought I put in a smiley face when I posted lol. But please please trade up so Nashville doesn’t get Askarov. You need him more and I don’t want him in our conference.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Is Alex Nedeljkovic looking like he's ready to share some of the load? Ned was terrific while playing his major junior hockey here, but I have not seen him play since he left Plymouth.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Where do I sign up?

Hamilton is great.

Agree.

Hopefully, it doesn’t come to the Canes having to deal Hamilton for such. But, with one year left on his deal, if he doesn’t sign this offseason, I think it’s a real possibility he gets shipped out like Faulk, Hanifin and Lindholm were. I’d think that sort of package would be about the best CAR could get for ufa to be Hamilton.

I’d much rather they sign him though and expect them to.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Gardiner could be done straight up that would work for Vegas, but the impression I'm getting is one of the Canes goalies would also have to be in the deal which probably wouldn't work for Vegas. Vegas needs to clear about 5m in my estimation for Lehner, assuming they aren't planning on bringing Cousins back.

Mrazek and Reimer are not immovable outside of the deal. Get that number to around $2.5 mil with some retention and they're competitive alternatives for teams in search of a short-term platoon goalie. Their inclusion is not necessary, imo.

Getting Gardiner's contract off of the books and the player out of the way (Slavin/Skjei/Fleury with Bean in the AHL) is what's important.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agree.

Hopefully, it doesn’t come to the Canes having to deal Hamilton for such. But, with one year left on his deal, if he doesn’t sign this offseason, I think it’s a real possibility he gets shipped out like Faulk, Hanifin and Lindholm were. I’d think that sort of package would be about the best CAR could get for ufa to be Hamilton.

I’d much rather they sign him though and expect them to.

I thought he had 2 years left. That leaves me a little less enthusiastic about giving up 15th+Lilly on top of Andersen. Would have to think about that one. I imagine we hope he hits UFA and make the pick.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is Alex Nedeljkovic looking like he's ready to share some of the load? Ned was terrific while playing his major junior hockey here, but I have not seen him play since he left Plymouth.

Stealth trade bait, imo. Carolina is a win now team. Nedeljkovic as a platoon goalie is a risk. Acquiring a starter that allows him to ease into the league as a 20-25 game backup and moving both Mrzaek and Reimer is a lot to ask. Nedeljkovic gets NHL money next year; the Canes may want to get out that commitment.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I thought he had 2 years left. That leaves me a little less enthusiastic about giving up 15th+Lilly on top of Andersen. Would have to think about that one. I imagine we hope he hits UFA and make the pick.

I don't think TOR would have issues coming up with the $$$ to sign him and I'd assume a tenet of such a deal would mean he's likely to immediately extend or extend as part of the deal. But again, I don't think it comes to that and he ultimately stays in Raleigh. I do think however negotiations could get contentious.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't think TOR would have issues coming up with the $$$ to sign him and I'd assume a tenet of such a deal would mean he's likely to immediately extend or extend as part of the deal. But again, I don't think it comes to that and he ultimately stays in Raleigh. I do think however negotiations could get contentious.

What are your salary expectations?

I imagine as a UFA he could make north of 8 million. I know Carolina also has the Svechnikov contract coming up as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think they'll stick with both Mrazek and Reimer.... which I think is a mistake, but there you go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad