Speculation: What goalie will Carolina end up with?

Which goalie for Carolina?

• Total voters

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think they do anything to improve the goaltending on the roster for next season. For them to go with a different goalie from this past year means they need to move a goalie. There is almost no market for that given the number of good options that are likely available via UFA or trades. There is almost no way they will carry a third goalie due to cap and the absence of gate revenues for a substantial portion of the season. There is also a good number of goalies that will be UFA the following year so there is no rush to move now.

All that together says they likely stand pat with the reasonable pair they have now.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We paid a 1st for Carolina to eat 1.25m of Marleaus deal.

If we dealing Freddy to them and eating 4m for them, they better give us #13 back.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I don't think they do anything to improve the goaltending on the roster for next season. For them to go with a different goalie from this past year means they need to move a goalie. There is almost no market for that given the number of good options that are likely available via UFA or trades. There is almost no way they will carry a third goalie due to cap and the absence of gate revenues for a substantial portion of the season. There is also a good number of goalies that will be UFA the following year so there is no rush to move now.

All that together says they likely stand pat with the reasonable pair they have now.

I am surprised Canes fans are okay with continuing with this duo, but they would know best. From an outsider perspective, it seems to be one of the biggest gaps between their team and team like Tampa, Boston, Colorado, etc. With a few big contracts in 2021, I would have expected a push to go deep in the next couple years.

I'm going bold: Marc-Andre Fleury in a cap dump swap. Mrazek is then flipped, with the necessary retention, to clear things up. Reimer's bonus may have already been paid; he's very cheap in terms of salary in that case ($.85 mil).

Ooooh, thats a great one. I didn't even consider MAF.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If they acquire a goalie, I expect it to be someone younger who is signed longer-term who can fit the core for a few years (until Kochetkov or another prospect is ready.)

I can see them going hard for Markstrom if he hits the market. I wonder if Carolina would trade for Demko if Markstrom signs in Vancouver.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
We paid a 1st for Carolina to eat 1.25m of Marleaus deal.

If we dealing Freddy to them and eating 4m for them, they better give us #13 back.

The Canes paid $4.6 million in cash to buyout Marleau. Waddell stated the Canes have a $$ to pick conversion chart and that ~$4 million they pegged to be worth #31 Overall. I don't think anyone expected the pick to be as high as #13 but I'd guess their chart values it pretty highly.

My preference on goalies based on my perceived UFA or trade cost would be:

Markstrom > Lehner > Raanta > Demko > MAF (assuming Vegas takes a Cap dump back) > Murray > Georgiev > Andersen = Holtby > rest

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm going bold: Marc-Andre Fleury in a cap dump swap. Mrazek is then flipped, with the necessary retention, to clear things up. Reimer's bonus may have already been paid; he's very cheap in terms of salary in that case ($.85 mil).

MAF for Gardiner or Nino + one of Mrazek/Reimer would be nice for the Canes. An even Cap deal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
To be fair, Carolina's struggles against Boston have not been a result of goaltending. No need to make excuses; they've just been outplayed by a superior hockey club. The platoon has won 2 to 3 rounds otherwise.

The link to Andersen and the consistent smoke about Lehner does point to a club that wants to do something. There is room to question the likelihood of a move if it's not a legit starter caliber goalie, though.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The Canes paid $4.6 million in cash to buyout Marleau. Waddell stated the Canes have a $$ to pick conversion chart and that ~$4 million they pegged to be worth #31 Overall. I don't think anyone expected the pick to be as high as #13 but I'd guess their chart values it pretty highly.

Markstrom > Lehner > Raanta > Demko > MAF (assuming Vegas takes a Cap dump back) > Murray > Georgiev > Andersen = Holtby > rest
Thought he was traded after the signing bonus.

4m for 4m seems fair to me.

Reactions: Morrison

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Canes paid $4.4 million in cash to buyout Marleau. Waddell stated the Canes have a $$ to pick conversion chart and that ~$4 million they pegged to be worth #31 Overall. I don't think anyone expected the pick to be as high as #13 but I'd guess their chart values it pretty highly.

I'd order the list a bit differently:

Lehner > Markstrom >> Demko > Georgiev > Andersen = Raanta > MAF (assuming Vegas takes a Cap dump back) >>> Murray = Holtby > rest

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'd order the list a bit differently:

Lehner > Markstrom >> Demko > Georgiev > Andersen = Raanta > MAF (assuming Vegas takes a Cap dump back) >>> Murray = Holtby > rest

Looks about right to me. I'd have Andersen a lot higher but I am bias. Lehner's contract is going to be super interesting, along with Markstrom.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
To be fair, Carolina's struggles against Boston have not been a result of goaltending. No need to make excuses; they've just been outplayed by a superior hockey club. The platoon has won 2 to 3 rounds otherwise.

The link to Andersen and the consistent smoke about Lehner does point to a club that wants to do something. There is room to question the likelihood of a move if it's not a legit starter caliber goalie, though.

I think the reason I expect a goalie change is I can't remember many times watching Carolina where their goaltending outplayed the other team's goalie. The team really relies on exceptional defence to limit HDCA. You put a high calibre goalie behind that defence, and I think you end up with something special. Unlike some other similar teams, Carolina has the gas on offence to compliment it.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think the reason I expect a goalie change is I can't remember many times watching Carolina where their goaltending outplayed the other team's goalie. The team really relies on exceptional defence to limit HDCA. You put a high calibre goalie behind that defence, and I think you end up with something special. Unlike some other similar teams, Carolina has the gas on offence to compliment it.

Carolina has given up more HDCA than most NHL teams under Brind'Amour.

19-20: Carolina was 23rd in HDCA/60.
18-19: Carolina was 22nd in HDCA/60.

In both seasons, Carolina gave up more HDCA/60 than Toronto.

Carolina has relied on that defense to stop the opponent's offense and quickly transition to offense to attack off the rush, and also rely heavily on defensemen attacking in the offensive zone with forward coverage. As a result of that aggressive play, they give up a lot more HDCA than you would expect with this defense.

With Hamilton and now Skjei on the blue line I don't see that strategy changing. But what it means is you can either look for a goalie who is exceptional at stopping HDCA, or you can get one who will stop a very high % of the lower-danger chances and give up about what you expect on HDCA.

What surprise me is that the second one describes Reimer in Carolina.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t think they are going to want to buyout or pay someone to take one of their current goalies so they enter the season with these two and look to upgrade at the trade deadline

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
MAF for Gardiner or Nino + one of Mrazek/Reimer would be nice for the Canes. An even Cap deal.

Any Fleury deal for Vegas would need little to no cap coming back unless it's buyout friendly. I can't see any way they would take back Gardiner or Nino in a deal. The Knights starting roster for next year is pretty much already set as far as skaters go. Fleury + 3rd/4th for Reimer/Mrazek.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Any Fleury deal for Vegas would need no cap coming back unless it's buyout friendly. I can't see any way they would take back Gardiner or Nino in a deal. The Knights starting roster for next year is pretty much already set as far as skaters go. Fleury + 3rd/4th for Reimer/Mrazek.
because MAF is a cap dump and not many teams are taking on 7 million for 2 years for nothing.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
because MAF is a cap dump and not many teams are taking on 7 million for 2 years for nothing.

The Canes would want him because he's an upgrade over their current goalies. Vegas trading him to sign Lehner serves no purpose if they can't clear cap space with the deal. They'd be better off buying him out than taking back a cap dump.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Canes would want him because he's an upgrade over their current goalies. Vegas trading him to sign Lehner serves no purpose if they can't clear cap space with the deal. They'd be better off buying him out than taking back a cap dump.
A 35 year old goalie who looks to be falling off the 35 year old cliff with a .905 sv percentage, isn’t an improvement at Carolina (or many other teams really). Got another reason? Canes will keep their .905 sv percentage for half the cost and no acquisition cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad