Olympics: What does your nations roster look like if NHLers don't go?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm genuinely exctied to see my nations pro's play. It sucks there are no NHL players but I'm still looking forward to complaining about our roster when it's announced and our coach when we play! Same is it ever was.
Zadina should go

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As Red Fan , I like Zadina, Bergreen, Edvinsson go to Olympic.

Berggren had amazing chemistry with Jesper Fröden and Andreas Wingerli. I would not mind seing that whole line in the Olympics

If Edvinsson makes it, he is probaly gonna be paired with his partner in Frölunda, Christian Folin.

Reactions: lilidk

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
That's what some SHL players have said. If the NHL players won't go because of Covid issues, why should they go?
Western civilization (well, at least some of it) is forced to play the game and carry on this charade.

Meanwhile, to my knowledge not one pro hockey player on planet earth has died from the 'Vid...(and if any of you provide info that one player has died from it, that still wouldn't probably change most other players' minds on this whole thing...)

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Western civilization (well, at least some of it) is forced to play the game and carry on this charade.

Meanwhile, to my knowledge not one pro hockey player on planet earth has died from the 'Vid...(and if any of you provide info that one player has died from it, that still wouldn't probably change most other players' minds on this whole thing...)

Its more around quarantine issues. My business has cancelled non-critical trips to China during Covid. Their type/quality of institutional covid quarantine/detention really does offend western sensibilities. I've heard firsthand that Chinese Covid Jail us very unpleasant.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Wallstedt is already one of the best goalies in SHL. I would bring him to OG.

Lars Johanson, Magnus Hellberg and Jesper Wallstedt.

D:

Erik Gustafsson - Jonathan Pudas
Henrik Tömmernäs - Lawrence Pilut
Simon Edvinsson - Christian Folin
Philip Holm - Lukas Bengtsson

F:

Linus Omark - Carl Söderberg - Jesper Olofsson
Mathias Brome - Anton Lander - Carl Klingberg
Marcus Sörensen - Oscar Lindberg - Dennis Everberg
Pontus Holmberg - Marcus Kruger - Fredrik Olofsson
Willam Eklund, Leon Bristedt

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Wallstedt is already one of the best goalies in SHL. I would bring him to OG.

Lars Johanson, Magnus Hellberg and Jesper Wallstedt.

D:

Erik Gustafsson - Jonathan Pudas
Henrik Tömmernäs - Lawrence Pilut
Simon Edvinsson - Christian Folin
Philip Holm - Lukas Bengtsson

F:

Linus Omark - Carl Söderberg - Jesper Olofsson
Mathias Brome - Anton Lander - Carl Klingberg
Marcus Sörensen - Oscar Lindberg - Dennis Everberg
Pontus Holmberg - Marcus Kruger - Fredrik Olofsson
Willam Eklund, Leon Bristedt

Roger Rönnberg already told that he won´t release Frölunda players to the Olympics so Edvinsson and Folin are no no.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Will Jagr make the Czech roster

Their Gold Medal in 1998 (basically a two-headed monster of Jagr and Hasek) might have been the greatest achievement in hockey outside of USA in 1980 (or 1960). It was truly a herculean effort for that team to win Gold.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Their Gold Medal in 1998 (basically a two-headed monster of Jagr and Hasek) might have been the greatest achievement in hockey outside of USA in 1980 (or 1960). It was truly a herculean effort for that team to win Gold.
They won 3 straight worlds after this 1999 to 2001 and back to back World Juniors as well 2000/2001. They had all the gold at this point in their history. Best on best, Skoda cups and World Juniors all at the same time.

Also, like you said, 2 Hart candidates. Let's not pretend this would be like the Czechs winning today.

Over 50 guys in the NHL. The 1999 1OV in the draft was a Czech too. So was the 4th pick. 2 out of the top 4. Both busts but we wouldn't know that for a few years.haha Hamrlik was a 1OV and on the team D as well.

Totally different from today.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They won 3 straight worlds after this 1999 to 2001 and back to back World Juniors as well 2000/2001. They had all the gold at this point in their history. Best on best, Skoda cups and World Juniors all at the same time.

Also, like you said, 2 Hart candidates. Let's not pretend this would be like the Czechs winning today.

Over 50 guys in the NHL. The 1999 1OV in the draft was a Czech too. So was the 4th pick. 2 out of the top 4. Both busts but we wouldn't know that for a few years.haha Hamrlik was a 1OV and on the team D as well.

Hasek stood on his head that tournament to get them the Gold. No one expected the Czechs to win that one. That was the first Olympics with NHLers back (remember Forsberg et al 1994 Gold Medal was no NHLers).

Like I said, that Czech win was truly a legendary sports upset.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020

I never understood. why the Czechs destroyed their hockey with money. When there was still CSSR and communism, the motivation to play in the NHL or elsewhere in Europe was huge, at this time Czech coaches set the trend in the hockey world. Communism is over, freedom and democracy have come, and money hockey has begun to decline. No one had to have a performance for NT anymore, a nice salary and contacts for an agent and a trainer were enough. Training also did not respond to the trend and stagnation came and no one in the hockey movement was interested in changing it. I think that a Czech or a Russian must have a whip over him, if a person allows him, he will stop working. He is happy that he plays Extraliga for good money and his ambitions are limited to salary and maybe to NT. The goal for many players is not even the NHL but the KHL, less competition but more money.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hasek stood on his head that tournament to get them the Gold. No one expected the Czechs to win that one. That was the first Olympics with NHLers back (remember Forsberg et al 1994 Gold Medal was no NHLers).

Like I said, that Czech win was truly a legendary sports upset.
Repeating the wrong take doesn't make it correct. No one, watching the Leafs in Canada, saw that coming....

I'm not sure what more we had to do at that point in history but we were on top of everything...

first overalls
Vezinas
Harts
Arts
best on best gold
3 straight world
2 straight juniors

There was literally nothing else to win from 98 to 2001 - we had every single trophy. Hasek didn't play in the 3 worlds or the 2 Juniors. Either did Jagr.

FTR.. Hasek wasn't the only elite goalie in that tourney. Canada had a HOF in the net, a HOF on the bench and Curtis Joseph in the stands.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I never understood. why the Czechs destroyed their hockey with money. When there was still CSSR and communism, the motivation to play in the NHL or elsewhere in Europe was huge, at this time Czech coaches set the trend in the hockey world. Communism is over, freedom and democracy have come, and money hockey has begun to decline. No one had to have a performance for NT anymore, a nice salary and contacts for an agent and a trainer were enough. Training also did not respond to the trend and stagnation came and no one in the hockey movement was interested in changing it. I think that a Czech or a Russian must have a whip over him, if a person allows him, he will stop working. He is happy that he plays Extraliga for good money and his ambitions are limited to salary and maybe to NT. The goal for many players is not even the NHL but the KHL, less competition but more money.
Part of it... it's a very expensive sport and was free in communism. They picked their best athletes and trained them.

Now those athletes would have to pay for it themselves and it's not cheap.

That is a big part of the problem. Czechs are poorer than Finns/Swedes/Canada/US/Russia too.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Part of it... it's a very expensive sport and was free in communism. They picked their best athletes and trained them.

Now those athletes would have to pay for it themselves and it's not cheap.

That is a big part of the problem. Czechs are poorer than Finns/Swedes/Canada/US/Russia too.

Of course, Czechs do not have the same pay as in Finland or Canada. Still, I think they can get close to the top 5 much closer than they are right now. The Czechs have what the Germans or the Swiss do not have - tradition. The Czech hockey school is still a concept, unfortunately only in one area ... the education of goalkeepers is still excellent.

In the area of finance, in my opinion, the federation is not doing enough good work. The costs incurred are often not used efficiently, but this is a country-wide context. So Czechs have some money, less than in the top 5 countries, but they have it. Yet this situation is strange, no one is looking for where the money is disappearing and who has it. Unfortunately, the word transparency does not exist in the Czech dictionary.

The situation will now be even more difficult because of the coid and also in what the Czech government is doing to support the sport at this time. Childhood obesity in the Czech Republic has increased by 10% since the beginning of covid. That's a scary number in such a short time. So you can see that there is a lot of problem and you don't work hard enough to solve the most important things.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Repeating the wrong take doesn't make it correct. No one, watching the Leafs in Canada, saw that coming....

I'm not sure what more we had to do at that point in history but we were on top of everything...

first overalls
Vezinas
Harts
Arts
best on best gold
3 straight world
2 straight juniors

There was literally nothing else to win from 98 to 2001 - we had every single trophy. Hasek didn't play in the 3 worlds or the 2 Juniors. Either did Jagr.

FTR.. Hasek wasn't the only elite goalie in that tourney. Canada had a HOF in the net, a HOF on the bench and Curtis Joseph in the stands.

I watched the '98 Olympic hockey and remember: Hasek absolutely did stand on his head that tournament. Not sure why you are claiming he didnt. Further, I don't remember projections but I can't recall anyone picking the Czechs to win Gold the 1998 Olympic games. So what they did was 100% an upset.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I watched the '98 Olympic hockey and remember: Hasek absolutely did stand on his head that tournament. Not sure why you are claiming he didnt. Further, I don't remember projections but I can't recall anyone picking the Czechs to win Gold the 1998 Olympic games. So what they did was 100% an upset.
I didn't claim Hasek wasn't awesome. I said from 98 to 2001 Czechs had 6 gold medals... It wasn't just Hasek. We were on top of the world at that point. Hasek was part of 1 of the 6 medals. 5 they won without him.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I didn't claim Hasek wasn't awesome. I said from 98 to 2001 Czechs had 6 gold medals... It wasn't just Hasek. We were on top of the world at that point. Hasek was part of 1 of the 6 medals. 5 they won without him.
Hasek was awesome in that tournament but with rosters of that calibre you don't win gold just with a goalie, that team was so disciplined, hard working and skillful - they deserved that upset. And yeah, such golden years, such a golden moment - whatever happened afterwards?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
The Czechs have what the Germans or the Swiss do not have - tradition.
wtf are you trying to imply? founding of the federation in 1908, first appearance at european championships 1910, first appearance at olympics 1920, first appearance at WHC 1930, Spengler Cup since 1923, Switzerland might not have been among the best teams in the world but to claim there is no tradition is as ignorant as it gets.

Reactions: vorky

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
wtf are you trying to imply? founding of the federation in 1908, first appearance at european championships 1910, first appearance at olympics 1920, first appearance at WHC 1930, Spengler Cup since 1923, Switzerland might not have been among the best teams in the world but to claim there is no tradition is as ignorant as it gets.

Wrongly worded by me, I will adjust my opinion. First of all, I am very sorry to all Swiss hockey fans, of course you have a tradition and a lot stronger. Second, I should have written that tradition is associated with the position of hockey in the country. And here I think that for the Czech Republic or Czechoslovakia it was the number 1 or 2 sport all along. I think this comment describes the situation much better than the original post.

I know that hockey has been played in Switzerland for a very long time, the Spengler Cup is the oldest hockey tournament in Europe, it is an honor to be among the invited teams. So once again I apologize for my original post, it was badly written by me and I didn't want to offend anyone.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hasek was awesome in that tournament but with rosters of that calibre you don't win gold just with a goalie, that team was so disciplined, hard working and skillful - they deserved that upset. And yeah, such golden years, such a golden moment - whatever happened afterwards?
Around 2005 the lights went completely out and haven't turned back on.lol

Corrupt owners, old boys clubs and not free anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00