Olympics: What does your nations roster look like if NHLers don't go?

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Canada - 38 WHC Gold (inc. 11 womens)
Finland - 3 WHC Gold

Canada - 9 Best on Best Wins
Finland - 0 Best on Best wins

Canada - 13 Olympic gold (inc. 4 womens)
Finland - 0 Olympic gold

Thats 57-3 in Major Senior international wins.

We jump where we want.

Well so do we in Finland; I said METAL music and hockey that dig out of our metal soul. So let's all ... jump!:DD:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The ones with the most top players going to the Olympics. The ones with a top heavy roster. @Czechboy imagine how much your Oilers will stink!

Most teams would lose a few stars for a month.

Who is going to suffer from having 2-5 prospects up for a month? It will impact all teams so it's pretty even.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Most teams would lose a few stars for a month.

Who is going to suffer from having 2-5 prospects up for a month? It will impact all teams so it's pretty even.

Its late so I'm not going to go through every team but the odds of distribution on impact being even is negligible. One could assume better teams will have more olympians. Top heavy teams like the oilers would be in trouble.

Beyond that, you asked who would be harmed by the this. The NHL. What league would except losing its top 100 or so players for a month? When has that happened for a top league in any sport? There is no precedence because its way to big an ask.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
What league would except losing its top 100 or so players for a month? When has that happened for a top league in any sport? There is no precedence because its way to big an ask.

In soccer there's Africa Cup of Nations starting and all European leagues have to release the players for the tournament. For example, the leading scorer of English Premier League will be out for for minimum of two rounds plus a cup game. So this does happen although the stakes are high, already qualifying for Champions League spot for top four league finishers is worth over 15 million euros.

Not saying that I think this is a good practice, but it does happen in other sports.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Its late so I'm not going to go through every team but the odds of distribution on impact being even is negligible. One could assume better teams will have more olympians. Top heavy teams like the oilers would be in trouble.

Beyond that, you asked who would be harmed by the this. The NHL. What league would except losing its top 100 or so players for a month? When has that happened for a top league in any sport? There is no precedence because its way to big an ask.

Every world cup and euro cup of soccer. Every 2 years is tournament and qualifying happens during seasons. All of the top leagues impacted.

KHL, SHL, DEL, Liiga etc will all lose their stars to the Olympics. No precedent? :D

How would NHL be harmed if a few players per team were lesser known for a month? What's the harm? How is it measurable?

How is that harm bigger, than the harm to much larger audiences AND the stars themselves by not having best on best Olympics?

Again I must ask you whose perspective is it harmful from? And why should their perspective weigh more than everyone else's?

Players and audience want best on best Olympics. Players create the entertainment NHL sells and customers provide the money. NHL in this scenario is just an organizer for profit. Their wishes can't override the wants of the entire business which is created by players and audience.

NHL is acting like a pimp trying to dictate who their "staff" can choose to sleep with.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Every world cup and euro cup of soccer. Every 2 years is tournament and qualifying happens during seasons. All of the top leagues impacted.

How would NHL be harmed if a few players per team were lesser known for a month? What's the harm? How is it measurable?

How is that harm bigger, than the harm to much larger audiences AND the stars themselves by not having best on best Olympics?

Again I must ask you whose perspective is it harmful from? And why should their perspective weigh more than everyone else's?

Players and audience want best on best Olympics.

My understanding is that international qualifying is held on off weeks. In fact EPL decided not to release players this year because Covid quarantine after traveling would have had them miss games. I could be wrong on how much football is impacted by qualifying.

The NHL is a more important hockey property than Olympic hockey. It generates way more revenue and has more total fans. At over 1400 game a year. It also holds the employment contracts of the best players in the world in a collective bargaining agreement fairly negotiated.

These players are paid millions of dollars by the NHL fans through the teams to play NHL hockey. First and foremost.

The players (NHLPA) and Owners (NHL) have decided together not to participate because they clearly believe that it is more important to protect the NHL season. They could have chosen to allow players to go but they didn't. Their perspective matters the most because they are the only ones who get to decide. Their stakeholders are the NHL fans, Teams and Players. They clearly believe they are acting in these stakeholders best interests and protecting the league from harm.

You or other olympic hockey fans do not have a right to best on best hockey. Your perspective doesn't matter. If the Players and NHL decide together it isn't happening then it isn't happening. They get to set their own priorities.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
When I say fans, I mean NHL fans. The impact on the NHL season doesn't pertain to non-NHL hockey fans.

I am always shocked by the number of NHL fans who don't want the NHL to take a break and participate in the first place. I am certainly not one of them. But if you add them to the people who don't want simultaneous games with the Olympics I think you would find an easy majority.

Not to mention the fans of teams that have a losing streak during that period. Ugh. They would be talking what ifs for ever. No thank you.
The fans you refer too are my fans... Oilers lol. Always one trade away.haha.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The ones with the most top players going to the Olympics. The ones with a top heavy roster. @Czechboy imagine how much your Oilers will stink!
2 wins in last 12 with McD and Drai... how much worse could it be?lol

In seroiusness.. I picture a team like TB taking a real hit - Palat, Rutta, Vasi, Kuch, Stamkos, Point, Hedman and I'm pretty certain I missed a few.

FTR... it'll never happen anyways.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
2 wins in last 12 with McD and Drai... how much worse could it be?lol

In seroiusness.. I picture a team like TB taking a real hit - Palat, Rutta, Vasi, Kuch, Stamkos, Point, Hedman and I'm pretty certain I missed a few.

FTR... it'll never happen anyways.
Sergachev.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
... but this is the real Finland shit:

Don't try this at home the rest of the world.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
My understanding is that international qualifying is held on off weeks. In fact EPL decided not to release players this year because Covid quarantine after traveling would have had them miss games. I could be wrong on how much football is impacted by qualifying.

Not really much on top leagues as there is international break for qualifying games and the World Cup, Copa America and Euro Championships are all held off season. Next World Cup in Qatar is in middle of the season but English Premiership for example will be paused for six weeks. Only tournament that does affect to my knowledge is African Cup of Nations that I mentioned earlier.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Not really much on top leagues as there is international break for qualifying games and the World Cup, Copa America and Euro Championships are all held off season. Next World Cup in Qatar is in middle of the season but English Premiership for example will be paused for six weeks. Only tournament that does affect to my knowledge is African Cup of Nations that I mentioned earlier.

And the european hockey leagues are a direct example, they will have to use their backup options during olympics and WJC

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
And the european hockey leagues are a direct example, they will have to use their backup options during olympics and WJC

I did say "Top" sports leagues. Top leagues players don't make less than i do! The NHL has an average franchise values of just shy of a billion dollars. Its 30 billion dollar valuation is 5 times its normal annual revenues of 6 billion. The Euro leagues are NOT top leagues as long as the NHL exists.

Also, you said football leagues lose their international players for World Cup and Euro qualifying. It turns out that they only lose African players for one tournament. That is not the same as losing a hundred or so of your very top players as I said.

Your comparables are not comparable.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I did say "Top" sports leagues. Top leagues players don't make less than i do! The NHL has an average franchise values of just shy of a billion dollars. Its 30 billion dollar valuation is 5 times its normal annual revenues of 6 billion. The Euro leagues are NOT top leagues as long as the NHL exists.

Also, you said football leagues lose their international players for World Cup and Euro qualifying. It turns out that they only lose African players for one tournament. That is not the same as losing a hundred or so of your very top players as I said.

Your comparables are not comparable.

If you are counting by money, not comparable. But top leagues in their regions yes, businesses just like NHL, yes.

And you're missing the point on World cup, they actually commit to a break during it world wide so there is no need to run secondary talent during that time. If NHL stayed true to their word, there would be no need for this discussion. But because NHL used covid as an excuse to avoid olympics, then came up with the solution of taxi squads, they could use that same solution to allow olympics to happen.

All you are saying is, they are too precious to do the bare minimum that other leagues and other, much larger sports manage to do.

You are speaking from the point of view of an NHL executive. I am not, I am a hockey fan and that rich executives need for another dollar does not in any shape or form matter to me. He is already rich, and the workers he has used to get rich want some time off, millions of fans worldwide want to see them. Why would I defend his greedy perspective when it's clearly only beneficial short term to him, not to the players who want to go and not for the world wide hockey audience? Players want to represent countries, people want to see it, some company executive can step aside and wait a bit. They don't own the players and they have to work with the players because the players are the product.

I don't understand siding with them. But maybe you can explain because you are someone who feels the need to mention more than once that they make a lot of money.

Also, African nations cup has way more than a 100 players from top euro leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlizzardSloth

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Assuming Power does indeed play for Canada, and assuming that the NHL returns to the Olympics in Italy in 26....Power could play in the following Olympics...

'22 - Age 19
'26 - Age 23
'30 - Age 27
'34 - Age 31
'38 - Age 35

He is the next great Canadian defenceman and could easily play in 5 Olympics! Makes me feel kinda bad for Stammer and others who may not get one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00