What does the Utah Hockey Club need to make the playoffs?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What does the Utah NHL need to do to make the playoffs, can they make the playoffs? What moves do they need to make? What position do they most need to upgrade?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Their defense right now is Sean Durzi, JJ Moser, Juuso Valimaki, Michael Kesselring, Montana Onyebuchi, and Vladislav Kolyachonok. So.... that.

I was thinking/hoping/praying that they make a deal with Calgary.

Calgary has D and Utah has draft picks.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Mitch Marner;
Annual almost 100 points
8/8 playoff appearances
100% success rate (at making the playoffs)
Very tsundure and kawaii

I think Mitch Marner will do very well in another market, kind of like what happens to players that leave Buffalo. They become very good after leaving Buffalo, I think current Leafs players will become good once they leave Toronto.

What would the Leafs want for Marner? I think he could be had for cheap, especially if at full price.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Calgary doesn't exactly have d-men to trade. They traded half their d-men already

Rasmussen Andersson will probably ask out, if he already has not.

Mackenzie Weegar would probably don’t say a no to a trade, he does have a $6.5 million cap but he did put up 20 goals and 50+ points and he was a +.

Rasmussen Andersson can hopefully land a first round pick.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
At least one if not two good, two-way defenders with experience but not too ancient who can help shepherd the blueline to a higher level until Simashev, Lamoureux and likely their top pick this year are more ready.

Honestly, Moser-Durzi would be a fantastic…definitely above average second pair. And Valimaki-Kesselring would be a terrific third pair. Kolya/Soderstrom probably fine as a youngish #7/8 with a bit of upside.

I think the offense is gonna cook this next year. Cooley-Guenther was fire to end the season…add them and Doan to Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse and Maccelli and you’ve got real depth and optionality up front. Theres probably no way Hayton is as snake-bitten this year but I bet Geekie gets a long look this fall. Bjugstad was awesome this season and he McBain, Kerfoot, Carcone etc are good under-contract role players.

Ingram is awesome in net and on a ridiculous contract. Vejmelka defintiely cratered a bit in more of a backup role but is definitely talented enough to bounce back and you’ve got both under contract next year for a combined $4.7 million which is elite value at the position.

In short…agreed…build up the defense with some experience but outside of that, there’s no need to be rash. This roster is on the cusp of competing and there are a million draft picks and plenty of cap space to weaponize for reinforcements and an energized new owner and setting. Hard not to suddenly be much more bullish on their prospects.

Reactions: PainForShane

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
A face of the franchise who grew up in the state they’re moving from.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
They need defenseman and 1st line center!
This is hard to get, I am pulling for Utah to hit their 7.5% and get 1st overall pick and draft Macklin Celebrini, they deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dog

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
This is hard to get, I am pulling for Utah to hit their 7.5% and get 1st overall pick and draft Macklin Celebrini, they deserve it.

not sure about PLD, anyone can buy him out, it's a reasonable buyout

regardless it is a fact that a team that collects bad contracts and picks for decades will eventually need vacant IR slots and therefore need good friends like Bettman to hand around not too far

but i'm happy to see we already have arrogant Utah fans

Welcome

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
not sure about PLD, anyone can buy him out, it's a reasonable buyout

regardless it is a fact that a team that collects bad contracts and picks for decades will eventually need vacant IR slots and therefore need good friends like Bettman to hand around not too far

but i'm happy to see we already have arrogant Utah fans

Welcome

Thank you, glad to be here:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: PainForShane

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
It's very hard because teams usually hold on to them so to get one available either costs a ton for a trade or have to be lucky at the lottery draft to get one. They compare Macklin to Toews type center which would work for Utah's advantage. Though chances they get 1st overall is like being drunk and trying to hit a bullseye in darts . Highly unlikely and probably they will get 6th overall or 7th overall.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It's very hard because teams usually hold on to them so to get one available either costs a ton for a trade or have to be lucky at the lottery draft to get one. They compare Macklin to Toews type center which would work for Utah's advantage. Though chances they get 1st overall is like being drunk and trying to hit a bullseye in darts . Highly unlikely and probably they will get 6th overall or 7th overall.

They can get a decent player at 6th or 7th.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just to go spend their cap. They could outbid everyone and add like Stamkos, Reinhart, Skjei, and Montour (assuming they all test free agency) with how much cap they’ll have, and be looking pretty damn solid.

Keller - Stamkos - Reinhart
Maccelli - Cooley - Schmaltz
Crouse - Bjugstad - Doan
Kerfoot - Hayton - Guenther

Skjei - Montour
Moser - Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad