What do you guys think of Joe Beninati?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I like Joe B. He is on it every night, although overuse of words like "saucer" and "ladle" used to describe how a puck is moved grate on me sometimes. Also, the "no relation" thing can be annoying. But I love Joe B and Locker. Especially when Locker sounds sauced up and Joe B gives him the buisness.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Since we're on the topic of announcers, I always wondered why Laughlin is pronounced Locklin.

MyCapsCap

Apr 19, 2014
I love the Joe B & Laughlin due. My personal favorite announcing duo in sports. They compliment each others style perfectly and seem to have a great time.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Also, the "no relation" thing can be annoying. But I love Joe B and Locker. Especially when Locker sounds sauced up and Joe B gives him the buisness.

Joe-B hasn't no-relationed in a while. Some of his weird turns of phrase (scaled, ladled, skip-a-man...) are annoying mostly due to over-use, but overall I think the Caps broadcast in-game crew is pretty good.

OP, create a new thread about Gormley and Locker's daughter and see what sort of response you get.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yeah haven't heard the "no relation" in a while, and maybe Joe B got the memo on it, but when he uses it he drops it all game.

And I don't feel I made it clear in my previous post but I love Joe B and Locker. Wouldn't trade them for any other announcing crew.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I like them, I enjoy it when Alan May and Laughlin crack on each other the most though.

joe b is a good play by play announcer. Yeah he says some crazy phrases, but he's enjoyable.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I agree with the sentiment, I think we have had it pretty good in DC. Between Ron Weber and Walton (wasn't a big fan of the guy in between) and then Fornes/Koken => Laughlin/Joe B, Koken and May, we have a pretty good mix of fun and analysis.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Re the productions. I think it was the Colorado game that made me sit up and notice how good it was. I'm not in the business so can't tell you exactly what it was that impressed me. Seemed like the cameras were timed better and the corner work was picked up differently than Caps games.

My only quibble is when the game is on and the talk is totally unrelated and goes on for some time. I just mute and watch without the distraction so it's no biggie. They're fine "sprinkling it in"

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I'm def biased here when talking about Joe B.

Many years back he did commentary on a few of my midget travel games which my mom has on DVD. He's great with the names and everything even for a bunch of kids. I remember being so pumped after hearing that I scored with a laser when in reality a pretty pedestrian shot.

I've also heard Joe B absolutely nail women's basketball,field hockey and plenty of lacrosse games.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
JoeB. is fantastic. When I'm forced to listen to other feeds because I can't get the Washington feeds, I always try and give the other commentators the benefit of the doubt, and some are alright (and some are awful), but no one comes close to JoeB. He's the best, hands-down. Informative, funny, cares about the sport, and he tells you what's going on (and when necessary, why) in the game. He's great. Plus, you can feel how much he cares about the Caps, but he never puts down the other team and gives them their props when they deserve them which I appreciate. (It always bugs me when other commentators put down the Caps and their players when I'm forced to watch those other feeds, so I love that JoeB. doesn't do that to other teams.)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Hasn't Joe B also done division 2 football from time to time? I think I remember hearing him do play by play for a towson game a few years back.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
JoeB any day over Emrik. Though I've learned to tolerate Emrik, it's the package deal with Pierre McGuire that completely spoils it for me.. Can't stand that dude.. (Red Wings crew are top notch, imo, as well)

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I love the pre-game build up that Joe B. does. Right at the start of the broadcast he summarizes what happened last game and what is expected for the upcoming game and he does it all over a highlight reel with clever puns, double meanings, and innuendos. It gets me properly ready to watch some hockey.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The only knock on Joe is that he's corny but he's so good that he gets a pass on that. It's a little endearing. I love Locker. And I love their corny humor together.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Joe B. is great. He's a fair announcer too, always praising the other team's good plays and such. He and Locker are a good duo.

This is another good point. Although JB and CL are clearly rooting for the Caps (as they should be) you don't get much of a sense of blind homerism at the expense of the other team. Sure there's some glossing over of Caps errors and whatnot, especially from Locker with his "no chance" breakdowns on some goals against, and maybe they don't hold Caps players feet to the fire very much, but at least they pat the other team on the back and will note when there's a bad call in either direction.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I love Joe B. And I like Joe B. together with Craig Laughlin. Both are endearingly corny now and then but they love the game, they love the Caps, and are positive people in general. I am grateful for both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad