What do you guys think of Joe Beninati?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I hope this doesn't come off as a troll thread, it's not intended that way. I know that a lot of fans don't like their play by play guy or color guy. A lot of Rangers fans don't like our color guy and a lot of Devils fans didn't like Chico. What do you guys think of Joe Beninati. Personally, he's probably my least favorite announcer in the league. It's a shame that he does the play by play of one of the most exciting players in the league for the last 10 years. Yesterday Ovechkin scored one of the prettiest goals you'll see and we get "dangle-icious". It's like he had no idea what to say and just said something with "dangle" in it. What do you guys think?

Burakovsky95*

You really aren't going to get the response you're looking for in here...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its a matter of taste. There are people that just hate Doc Emrick and other elite sports broadcasters. So you hating Joe is just what happens. Joe is widely accepted in the industry as strongly in that second tier of NHL play by play men in the league along with John Forslund, Sam Rosen, and Pat Foley.

If you don't like him, ok. Benenati's simply sensational call is classic. I don't think you are going to find a lot of Joe B hate on this forum

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Its a matter of taste. There are people that just hate Doc Emrick and other elite sports broadcasters. So you hating Joe is just what happens. Joe is widely accepted in the industry as strongly in that second tier of NHL play by play men in the league along with John Forslund, Sam Rosen, and Pat Foley.

If you don't like him, ok. Benenati's simply sensational call is classic. I don't think you are going to find a lot of Joe B hate on this forum

Who's considered to be first tier? Certainly not Emerick, with his nasal voice and constant mis-identification of players.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You really aren't going to get the response you're looking for in here...

As much as I'd love to have everyone agree with me all the time, I was curious to see the responses, if it's not in agreement with me then so be it.

It's funny you guys mention Emrick. I feel like Beninati tries really hard to be Emrick, but it doesn't work out for him. His voice is somewhat similar. I actually like Emrick and that's someone whose favorite team is one of the top rivals of the team he broadcasted for (hate Chico though).

Did you guys really think "dangle-icious" did justice to that goal? Seems like something from the Kardashians or something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ive decided that I don't like Walton or I don't like the format that he is using. He does not describe the game. Too many of the goals are scored while he is talking about something else. That means either he has created a game broadcast where he feels like doing play by play isn't entertaining enough or a boss is directing him to do it that way.

In several recent games I've heard he doesn't even give the scoring play. I have to wait til I can see the box score to find out about the secondary assist.

A straight up scoring play should never happen while he is giving some league stat leader board or some show prep material that he has found. but it happens with regularity. I understand if an opposing dman in a controlled breakout turns the puck over to a cap in the slot you one times it in for a goal. But a scoring play that passes thru the neutral zone and has two assists and should never be describe beginning with the puck going in the net.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Joe B is one of the best in the business, up there with Thorne for the O's. Joe B is also a great play by play guy for lacrosse as well

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As much as I'd love to have everyone agree with me all the time, I was curious to see the responses, if it's not in agreement with me then so be it.

It's funny you guys mention Emrick. I feel like Beninati tries really hard to be Emrick, but it doesn't work out for him. His voice is somewhat similar. I actually like Emrick and that's someone whose favorite team is one of the top rivals of the team he broadcasted for (hate Chico though).

Did you guys really think "dangle-icious" did justice to that goal? Seems like something from the Kardashians or something.

We all hear what we hear and see what we see when its totally different from the person next to us. I hear and see NOTHING that Beninati does that sounds remotely like Emrick. The entire use of vocabulary is different.

and Doc's call starts at 1:38. not remotely similar

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
IMO NHL announcers are among the best in all of professional sports - certainly better than the NFL right now - and Joe B is a top tier guy. Love the way he calls the game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Joe B has pros and cons like most announcers.

The voice takes some getting used to and he has many pet words or phrases that can make you wince (ladels it, sprinkles the puck, melts it to the ice, turns the cooker, fires a BB, etc).

But he is masterful in the way he flows background information, production elements and DETAILED on-ice events to create a cohesive and interesting presentation....epecially in an industry where it's easy to fall back on simply repeating names of puckhandlers, and where they are on the ice.

This is not as easy as fans think. Try muting the television and calling the game "live" like a professional. If you aren't totally delusional and think you've done pretty well, then record yourself and play it for someone you respect. Then ask for honest feedback. You'll get a new appreciation for how difficult it is to do something that sounds so simple, and that we usually take for granted.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who's considered to be first tier? Certainly not Emerick, with his nasal voice and constant mis-identification of players.

sure. Doc is considered the premiere Hockey play by play announcer in the USA. They have heavy research to back that up. He is not the lead NBC Hockey announcer because of his looks or some seniority thing. People like him best.

the first tier is Emerick. the 2nd tier are the guys that NBC uses for other big games come playoffs. Strader, Foley, Joe B, Forslund, Edwards, Peckham and Rosen. You could probably put Kenny Albert in that group. I think NBC used Cuthbert some last year too. He seems to be the only Canadian PBP guy that American executives feel comfortable hiring.

Last edited:

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
when it comes down to it, ill listen to anyone besides the Pens guys, bruins guys, and pierre

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
sure. Doc is considered the premiere Hockey play by play announcer in the USA. They have heavy research to back that up. He is not the lead NBC Hockey announcer because of his looks or some seniority thing. People like him best.

the first tier is Emerick. the 2nd tier are the guys that NBC uses for other big games come playoffs. Strader, Foley, Joe B, Forslund, Edwards, Peckham and Rosen. You could probably put Kenny Albert in that group. I think NBC used Cuthbert some last year too. He seems to be the only Canadian PBP guy that American executives feel comfortable hiring.

I cannot imagine what "research" backs up Doc Emerick being in that first tier. It certainly has nothing to do with his ability. Strader, Joe B., Forslund, and Hughson are all better prepared, make fewer mistakes, describe play better, and weave off-ice info into their broadcasts better.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I cannot imagine what "research" backs up Doc Emerick being in that first tier. It certainly has nothing to do with his ability. Strader, Joe B., Forslund, and Hughson are all better prepared, make fewer mistakes, describe play better, and weave off-ice info into their broadcasts better.

i ran radio stations as my career. i know how radio and tv stations and networks evaluate their talent and their performance. Doc has the job because and keeps the job because their is significant research and ratings that indicate he is the best person for the job.

i know this. I have been involved with this. you don't have to like it or him. but this was my professional for 25 years

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
i ran radio stations as my career. i know how radio and tv stations and networks evaluate their talent and their performance. Doc has the job because and keeps the job because their is significant research and ratings that indicate he is the best person for the job.

i know this. I have been involved with this. you don't have to like it or him. but this was my professional for 25 years
Considering the cronyism that's rampant in the hockey world, I think its naive to assume personnel decisions like that ate based on any kind of real research or evaluation.

It's like Lou Holtz on ESPN for college football. Nobody likes him, he's terrible, and he's getting worse. He's only stayed due to his name/connections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad