Player Discussion What do we have in Erik Gudbranson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Game 1

-Classic Gudbranson, misplays the puck, gets tied up with teammate whose puck it was, loses his man, tap in:

-Caught flat footed, watching the puck, waving stick around:

Game 2

-Tavares takes advantage of that Gud/Campbell pairing:

Game 3

-Scored against on PK, completely screens his goalie and doesn't block the shot, always trying to look like he's doing something even though he's doing very little that's good: Pulock's power-play goal

-Scored against for game tying goal, standing still at blueline, then waves his stick uselessly, somehow lets his man get between the goal and him: Nielsen's PPG ties the game

-Note on the OT goal Gudbranson is not out there with his normal partner Cambell who gets scored on, perhaps the coach didn't trust him????

Game 4:

-Guddy PK time, gets desperate and leaves feet trying to block Tavares shot (opening up 2 clean tap in passing options) but Tavares just roofs it over top of Gudbranson's handsome jaw and into the top corner: Tavares roofs power-play goal

Game 5:

-Goes to Double OT: Gudbranson plays 33 minutes, but so does every other defenceman on the team.

Game 6:

-Up 1-0 with a minute left, Leddy burns Gudbranson, who loses body position and ends up reaching, yet again, can't prevent Leddy from getting the puck, then for some reason starts following Leddy TO THE POINT, at which point he realizes that he's the RS dman responsible for clearing his side of the net where a) the puck is and b) all the scoring threats are. Tavares, unopposed by a RS dman, digs out a puck and slams it home to tie the game at 3: Tavares' late game-tying goal

Imgur

-Another double OT game where he played about 30 minutes

Islanders scored 15 goals in the series, Gubranson was a factor on 8 of them (53.3%).

But..but.. he played so many minutes..

Reactions: timw33

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The idea that Gubdranson still has untapped potential because he played a lot of minutes in 6 playoff games (3 of which went to overtime) with Florida two seasons ago is insane.
It's not only insane its actually pathetic that the 'veteran player' himself plays this up (as a reason for him perpetually never living up to expectation). Here he was just a few months ago after signing his big contract:

"I can only get better," Gudbranson said. "There's a lot of work to be done. I'm still a sponge like I was when I was 19, 20 years old, trying to pick guys' brains and use the vets to my advantage.
"I don't know what the ceiling is, I don't think anybody really knows. I'm just trying to get better every single day and that's my motivation to be here. Any hockey player's motivation is to constantly get better."

Benning signed a sponge to play defense - thanks erik.

But it gets worse:

"I think the last two months I have started to feel really comfortable," he said. "The pairing I am part of right now gives me a little more purpose on the back end. Stuff like that gets me going. It excites me making guys' nights miserable. I have been able to do that and I felt comfortable out there. That certainly gave me a positive mindset going into the negotiations."

So playing with Edler gives him purpose 1.5 years into playing with the canucks? He couldn't make guys nights miserable if he wasn't playing with Edler? It takes this veteran 1.5 years and playing with the second best dman on team to feel comfortable? So comfortable he had to be shut down right after?

This guy's career is absolutely nothing but marketing, yet another brutal player to give a long term contract to (and a raise at that lol).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's not only insane its actually pathetic that the 'veteran player' himself plays this up (as a reason for him perpetually never living up to expectation). Here he was just a few months ago after signing his big contract:

"I can only get better," Gudbranson said. "There's a lot of work to be done. I'm still a sponge like I was when I was 19, 20 years old, trying to pick guys' brains and use the vets to my advantage.
"I don't know what the ceiling is, I don't think anybody really knows. I'm just trying to get better every single day and that's my motivation to be here. Any hockey player's motivation is to constantly get better."

But it gets worse:

"I think the last two months I have started to feel really comfortable," he said. "The pairing I am part of right now gives me a little more purpose on the back end. Stuff like that gets me going. It excites me making guys' nights miserable. I have been able to do that and I felt comfortable out there. That certainly gave me a positive mindset going into the negotiations."

So playing with Edler gives him purpose 1.5 years into playing with the canucks? He couldn't make guys nights miserable if he wasn't playing with Edler? It takes this veteran 1.5 years and playing with the second best dman on team to feel comfortable? So comfortable he had to be shut down right after?

This guy's career is absolutely nothing but marketing, yet another brutal player to give a long term contract to (and a raise at that lol).

He also makes guys miserable without ever getting penalized for anything. If that's really his skill then that's amazing.

What a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, honestly.

Reactions: Pavel96

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah - I was just sitting with my buddy yesterday who is close to Linden and he told me that when Guddy signed that contract 3 teams reached out to them and said "Ohhh - that's a very good contract"

Take that for what you will however the point is that around the league this contract was seen as very reasonable and is actually a plus for us.........hard for some of us to believe I know........
These are actually valid points....it's not as if Gudbranson has a NTC....he could be dealt at any deadline, and every year there's a team out there looking for a cost-controlled d-man, particularly a right-shot guy, as they enter the playoffs. So if he has a good year, he's a trading chip at least.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
These are actually valid points....it's not as if Gudbranson has a NTC....he could be dealt at any deadline, and every year there's a team out there looking for a cost-controlled d-man, particularly a right-shot guy, as they enter the playoffs. So if he has a good year, he's a trading chip at least.

Yeah - we can hope - I 'm not overly high on him at all - I would much prefer a skating puck moving D-man - something he definitely isn't. However another point of note that some of us tend to overlook is that Guddy - aside from having very nice hair - is very highly regarded in the locker room - something else that is hard for us to quantify but is true. I don't really care about this but I'm not in management..........so that's another reason he's still here........(that hair though.......)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hence my reasoning to pair him up with our best left side D (Elder) and 'pump his tires' up to /leading to the trade deadline. That is, if he's still healthy enough to trade at that point.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Elliot Friedman,2016
"Gerard Gallant would never admit it (at least not before Sunday), but he hated seeing

Erik Gudbranson traded. In a cap world, someone had to go. Losing him and Willie Mitchell changed the complexion of the blue line. Gallant valued Gudbranson’s game, how hard he could make it on opposing forwards. But Florida’s front office values a different kind of defender, and with one season remaining until his free agency, they weren’t going to ante up for Gudbranson’s skillset.
That, as much as anything else, is why Gallant (and close friend Mike Kelly) are no longer on the Florida bench. There was plenty of anger in the NHL community over the dismissal. There were a lot of surprised and angry texts from people I rarely hear from. Gallant righted a wayward ship and won a franchise-record 47 games last season, getting them to the playoffs for the second time in 15 years."

Doesn't mean Gudbranson is an effective hockey player just because a coach was mad that he was traded.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Doesn't mean Gudbranson is an effective hockey player just because a coach was mad that he was traded.
Might be an appeal to authority or whatever,but I happen to regard Gerard Gallant as an 'elite' coach..and I'll take his opinion seriously..
In retrospect,it wasn't a good trade, but Gudbranson has been chronically injured since his time in Van...never being able to get into a consistent rhythm..

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Might be an appeal to authority or whatever,but I happen to regard Gerard Gallant as an 'elite' coach..and I'll take his opinion seriously..
In retrospect,it wasn't a good trade, but Gudbranson has been chronically injured since his time in Van...never being able to get into a consistent rhythm..

Why then are we giving a player who has missed exactly 50% of his games due to injury a lucrative contract with term then?

We've spent 2 years waiting for Gudbranson to "arrive", but the problem is that Gudbranson arrived back in Florida, and is the exact same low-upside low-effectiveness defenceman that he's always been, and the only reason he's still playing regular NHL minutes is because of his draft pedigree and handsomeness.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why then are we giving a player who has missed exactly 50% of his games due to injury a lucrative contract with term then?

We've spent 2 years waiting for Gudbranson to "arrive", but the problem is that Gudbranson arrived back in Florida, and is the exact same low-upside low-effectiveness defenceman that he's always been, and the only reason he's still playing regular NHL minutes is because of his draft pedigree and handsomeness.
Other than his pedigree and handsomeness,apparently he does have value acording to Elliot Freidman:
“No. 2, I think there would be a lot of interest in Gudbranson if he’s healthy. I know that you guys are down on him right now. I think there’s a lot of people out there that look at him and say in the playoffs, when the game really changes – and the game does change a lot – if you get him into a structured system and he knows what his responsibilities are, he can help you.
“I think a lot of it comes down to what does Vancouver want. Vancouver gave up a lot to get him, so are they going to want a lot to give him up. I don’t think that the price is going to be incredibly high, simply because he’s an unrestricted free agent. And I think probably that’s the biggest question right now, is if he’s healthy what do the Canucks want.”

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018

But it gets worse:

He was shut down because he was injured

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Gudbranson always talks **** in the media including throwing his teammates under the bus) but never backs it up with his actual play. At least Sbisa was more candid about his play
So he made a comment about guys not really learning to the ins and outs of playing defence until they have 400 games in and this equates to him always throwing teammates under the bus....cool story

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
So he made a comment about guys not really learning to the ins and outs of playing defence until they have 400 games in and this equates to him always throwing teammates under the bus....cool story
he also talks a tough game when he is injured (essentially saying how if he was in there he'd be so tough and he'd be beating up on the other team bla bla bc no one on canucks is). he has had a lot of time to talk since playing for the canucks (as he's bee injured 50% of the time literally)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
yeah he was the most injured dman to play for the canucks since he was traded for. just brutal that they would give this oft injured, soft player an extension.
Soft? Brittle maybe, due to his pension for injury, but he’s not soft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a fake tough guy but he isn't soft either.

The guy needs to shut the f*** up, eat some humble pie and realize he's a shit player who is lucky to be taking a regular shift in this league, and work hard at becoming a better player.

Reactions: y2kcanucks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce