What can we do to get Keefe fired.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Why does Keefe have the third highest winning percentage in history?

Was he handed a great team or is he a good coach? One shows support of Dubas and Shanny and the other supports Keefe. Which side is everyone on?
He was given a team with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, Hyman...not many coaches can say that. New coaches are typically coming into a garbage situation with a garbage roster.

I guess it shows support of Shanahan for successfully tanking and support of Dubas for signing Tavares.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
What can we do to get Keefe fired? I would hope nothing. If a GM has such weak character that he bends to external pressures vs assessing where this team is and where it is going, I would hope that GM is fired first. When has listening to an angry uneducated mob ever made any sense?

I'm the conductor of the Fire Keefe train but I'm also the guy who says lets have a plan if Keefe is the guy on the outs.

For me you see no evolution it this team, no maturity in their game it plateaued three years ago under Keefe. You see the Leafs do Leafy things, year after year after year, for example they play like the best team in the world then a few games later get blown out by a lottery adjacent team. This sort of up and down inconsistency to their game has been a theme for 3 years. You see them get a 2, 3, 4 goal lead, then not manage the game / manage the puck and let the other team get back into the game. There has to be an ability to get the lead and then just smother the other teams chances. The game in Buffalo we saw the team get cherry picking fever, everyone of them were playing the game like it was an all-star individual competition to see who could score 10 goals first, there was no concept of managing the puck or managing the clock, there was no concept of sustained pressure, it was just chaos in both ends of the rink. That game when it was 3-2 was still winable, even with Sammy's poor play. There is no evolution in the core four's game, apparently they are who they are.

I was willing to give Keefe a 25% into the season Mulligan because he had 7 new guys on the roster, it takes time for them to learn systems but this team is the same as the old team, who was same as the team the year before and that team is the same as the year before that. Tre has a history of firing coaches after a poor season / poor playoffs. I'm afraid we are stuck with Keefe, which means we are stuck with the same outcome in 2023-24, out in the 1st or 2nd round.

1. Bob Hartley – was already in Calgary, worked with Treliving for two years. Won a round in the first year, missed the playoffs in the second. That's when Treliving let him go.
  2. Glen Gulutzan – Treliving's first true coaching hire lasted two seasons as well where the Flames lost in the first round and missed the playoffs.
  3. Bill Peters – One and a half years from 2019 to 2020. You know why he left.
  4. Geoff Ward and Ryan Huska – Finished out the 2020-21 season and started the 2021-22 with Ward named the head coach.
  5. Darryl Sutter – hired after Ward was fired midseason. Coached three years in Calgary and was fired by the new management following Treliving's departure. The Flames made the playoffs once and won one round in his tenure.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Keefe right now is playing with house money. I bet you he feared for his job after that Panthers series last season. When Dubas got fired you know for sure that Keefe felt he was 100% getting fired as well.

Then they brought him back. :laugh:

*insert Undertaker rising from coffin gif*

Reactions: TakeTheBody

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Good news though, Matthews and Marner are back together at practice!

Problems. Solved.

Sign of a great coach, doing the same thing, expecting different results.

We saw Marner and Domi click on the third line a few weeks back. If you are making 10mil+, you should be driving your own line.

• Love
Reactions: TMLife17

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sign of a great coach, doing the same thing, expecting different results.

We saw Marner and Domi click on the third line a few weeks back. If you are making 10mil+, you should be driving your own line.
What 10 million dollar player drives his own line?

Mack plays with Rantanen
McDavid plays with Drai( not always)
Eichel plays with Stone
Pasta played with Bergeron and Marchand

Reactions: Raging Bull

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I’ve never been a Keefe fan but one thing that’s for certain is that listening to the fans would be the dumbest thing this team could do.
Ever watch those game shows where the contestant has a chance to ask the crowd for help in answering a question? When there is a consensus of opinion the crowd is seldom if ever wrong. Similar to polling, taking a survey

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I’m not a Keefe fan but how is the team supposed to be on their game when Samsonov is letting in unscreened shots from the blue line. I thought we were really starting to play better in the second and then a weak wrist shot, from almost the blue line beats Samsonov’s glove. I’d assume most of us on here have played the game and know how deflating it is when the goalie lets in those. It wouldn’t have mattered how good of defence we played last night when you don’t get saves, you lose generally.

Keefe doesn’t have many options in net unfortunately and that’s not in him. I get nervous every time a shot goes towards Samsonov and I’m just a fan. When you play scared because of the goalies, you can’t play your game. I really don’t know how a new coach can magically get Samsonov’ stopping pucks so I can’t see a it helping us
But thats the problem

1. Continuity of playing your system through all situations is what good teams do
2. Your system should include helping your goalie

If guys or coach are playing differently out of fear of something its never going to work

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
But thats the problem

1. Continuity of playing your system through all situations is what good teams do

If guys or coach are playing differently out of fear of something its never going to work
Exactly, and a good example was Carolina with Ayres in net. He played 1/2 a game but Carolina only allowed 10 shots on net, he let 2 of those in an .800 save% but it was still good enough to win.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
A team that is expected to be 7th-8th in the standings but underperforms and finishes 10th has their coach fired but a team that should be 1st place but underperforms and is 4th never seems to get fired. I don’t care where we are in the standings, we are under performing. He can’t figure out the lines
to save his life. The talent on this team is historic.
underperforming ?

despite leafs had a lot of injuries in their D, playing with a #1 goalie whos playing at level of Campbell in Edmonton. Despite it leafs are 2nd and still have great chance to finish #1 in atlantic.

so sorry i dont know how we can say leafs underperforming

Reactions: Mad hatter

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Treliving will likely put his stamp on this team next Summer, regardless of how the team does in the playoffs.

If they don't get past the 2nd round again, I'd bet Keefe takes the fall. Problem is, regardless of the coach - and assuming they re-sign Willie (they will; they'll cave and give him what he wants) - they still have four guys taking up half the cap space for at least another year,

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I am not in favour or opposed to Keefe.

I do wonder why the same people argue that it is impossible to win with 50% of the cap gping to 4 forwards, then blame Keefe for not doing it.
He consistently favors those four players in every situation, regardless of whether they deserve to be benched or other lines are performing better. This approach undermines the development of a strong team culture.

Reactions: myleafs and Jojalu

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
:eek3::eek3::eek3::

1000014458.png

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
But thats the problem

I agree, the better we play our system and stay on it is where we need to be to become a legit contender. That said though if the goalie can’t make the easy saves in the system being played then it doesn’t matter how good the system is played.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think this season is the ‘show me’ season for Treliving

He liked what Keefe had to say in the offseason, he’s watching to see if that comes through in the ice. Whatever it is they agreed to.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He consistently favors those four players in every situation, regardless of whether they deserve to be benched or other lines are performing better. This approach undermines the development of a strong team culture.
Thats a fair point.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I agree, the better we play our system and stay on it is where we need to be to become a legit contender. That said though if the goalie can’t make the easy saves in the system being played then it doesn’t matter how good the system is played.
Yes but doesnt it make identifying a problem easier. If all but one is doing their job in sync.. well

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
But thats the problem

they're are different playing despite fear 1 game or doing it every game, its an other story

and i will tell you the way Samsonov play this seaso especially last 2 where he gave up 7 weak goal, no system exist in the world enough good to overcome this.

and come playoff when youre goalie giving at least 1 weak goal/ game during 2 of every 3 game, whatever wich system your playing in. its hard to overcome whatever your system

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
they're are different playing despite fear 1 game or doing it every game, its an other story

and i will tell you the way Samsonov play this seaso especially last 2 where he gave up 7 weak goal, no system exist in the world enough good to overcome this.

and come playoff when youre goalie giving at least 1 weak goal/ game during 2 of every 3 game, whatever wich system your playing in. its hard to overcome whatever your system
I did not say what i said expecting a system to overcome shitty goaltending

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad