What are your goals for the rest of the Islander’s season?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
From now to the draft
- Am still hoping the team somehow digs deep and finds a way to get into the playoffs, with a surprise like Holmstrom or Romanov showing a valiant, eye-opening effort in the first round out.
- At the draft, I'll then be happy with another trading of the 1st rounder for a truly well-scouted young NHLer (a Romanov-like add, but up front) and the savviness to pick up like 3rd and 6th rounders in the process.
- Trade Wahlstrom's RFA rights for Victor Soderstrom's RFA rights
- Trade Pageau and the rights to Iskhakov for a B prospect and 4th rounder

Initial free agency wishes
- Martin, Clutterbuck, Bortuzzo, and Aho are allowed to walk as UFAs
- Reilly is re-signed
- Beauvillier signs on the cheap

Will talk about other offseason wishes once the season is over.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
- Reilly is re-signed

Jumping the gun, but what about that KHL guy (Tsyplakov) who seems like he's coming over to the NHL? We got that one Russian bird dog guy and all we have to show for it so far is Tymashov?

Reactions: Glorydays22

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
I won't root for the Islanders to lose but I'm going to take every opportunity to disparage and shit all over anyone who is optimistic or hopeful about the team is quite the take.
I get your point, but I think you overstate the case here. If you want to refer to calling out of what many believe to be misguided optimism as disparagement and 'shitting on' that is your privilege, but many who were diehard Lou acolytes had no problem shitting on and questioning the fandom of anyone who dared to question the things he was doing both during and in the aftermath of the two ECF runs and yet now the dissatisfaction with Lou is almost universal. It was and is Lou's optimism and hopefulness about a roster that was not worthy of it that has this organization in the pickle it finds itself in and the number of people jumping off of the Lou ship is testament to that.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Jumping the gun, but what about that KHL guy (Tsyplakov) who seems like he's coming over to the NHL? We got that one Russian bird dog guy and all we have to show for it so far is Tymashov?

Who is Swedish, despite the name of Ukrainian decent...

I'd rather see the Isles pick up a youngsters named Gutik. He's 22, big, and has sick skills. Got some Kvasha in him, but if a team tames that, then WATCH OUT.

As for Tsyplakov, color me unconvinced. Dunno if his game will translate and there are some skating deficiencies. In general, I'm weary of mid-20s Russians who suddenly explode. Need to see high production for several seasons in a row before I'm convinced that the one big year is an anomaly.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
From now to the draft
- Am still hoping the team somehow digs deep and finds a way to get into the playoffs, with a surprise like Holmstrom or Romanov showing a valiant, eye-opening effort in the first round out.
- At the draft, I'll then be happy with another trading of the 1st rounder for a truly well-scouted young NHLer (a Romanov-like add, but up front) and the savviness to pick up like 3rd and 6th rounders in the process.

- Reilly is re-signed

Solid post as usual @Chapin Landvogt

The only issue I’ll take is the Pageau and Ishakov for a B prospect and a 4th rounder.

Ishakov has had a good but not great AHL season. At age 22 I’d say his value is on par with the B prospect you referenced in your proposal. He’s also a RFA and at risk for going to the KHL, though for a guy that started at UConn I suspect that wouldn’t happen. That leaves Pageau garnering a 4th round pick on his own. He’s a negative asset and I don’t see that deal happening without either retention on the Isles part or picks going the other way.

Strickland

Mar 1, 2007
From now to the draft

- Reilly is re-signed

Looking like another pick in the 9-13 range, let's set it on fire and get another romanov in here, but up front. That'll do it!

No lessons learned about the past three years of failure, just repeating the same thing over and over, while the team gets worse and worse.

But sure, trade the pick. Why not? Lou's gonna do it and he's made good moves to this point....

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
My goal for the rest of this year is to remain optimistic and hopeful for the fantastic players who have been assembled by this team by the two gentlemen pictured to your left. Garth did a great job. Lou picked some winners yet made some questionable moves along the way.

Yes some changes will be coming this offseason. Some of our noble warriors are a little long in the tooth and will need to be upgraded but I will be forever thankful that they wore the blue and orange.

For me, the best thing that happened this year (and the goal I was looking for) was they got rid of the foul stench of that "playing not to lose" mentality brought on by the previous coaching regime, while it brought some short term success it really was damaging to the psyche of this team. It's simply not the right way to play the game and it is that mentality that still haunts this team to this day. The success and dominating play we saw a couple of weeks ago is what playing to win looks like and as Roy stated, "It's the right way to play the game". I'm surprised Roy was able to get this group of players to play with a "play to win" attitude in such as short period of time but it will take the entire rest of the season to get this team to play with confidence, to play with their natural born instincts, in a word to be fully "unleashed".

So I can't blame Roy or the team for the outcome of this season they got a lot of mixed messages going from the previous coaches to Roy, but there is still a handful of games left to play and if by the hockey gods they make it, boy that would be great! I am looking forward to what an offseason break and a full year under Roy would look like. I'm optimistic and hopeful. So chin up Islanders, do your best. You never know. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad