What are your goals for the rest of the Islander’s season?

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
I'd like the pp to return to competency like it was earlier in the year. I'm not greedy and expecting us to rival Tampa's pp. But, I'd like to enter the offseason knowing that our current drought was the exception, not the rule.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Lose, Lose , or Loser point just show some ❤️

IMG_7476.jpeg
IMG_7478.jpeg

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I think this is the annual rite of passage post for 30 years.

Just imagine if they had one pick and used it on Wally vs the two and got Wally and Dobson. Wowzer, DaColle special worthy of rebuilding

I think this is the annual rite of passage post for 30 years.

Just imagine if they had one pick and used it on Wally vs the two and got Wally and Dobson. Wowzer, DaColle special worthy of rebuilding.
The Islanders haven't had a first round pick since 2019 (in 2018 they drafted Noah Dobson in the first round) and that pick was at 23. In 2020 they didn't have a first or second round pick. That starts to add up. It seems every game I watch lately there's one or two prospects breaking into other teams rosters and making a difference. The Islanders have nobody and I don't see that changing next year. It's the same tired group and they'll add a free agent or two.

Next year you'll see Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Montreal and the Flyers all improve as their younger players mature and their prospects make the leap to the NHL. The Islanders will either remain stagnant or fall back. You can't build a contender without developing your own through the draft.

I'm 63 years old, that last thing I would want is a rebuild. I have high school friends that have passed away at my age, but I know there's no other way then a rebuild. If you look at my history I was calling for this 2 years ago. It's unfortunate, but the Islanders have to be patient and spend the next 2-3 years rebuilding the team. Again I'll use my age (by the way, I'm very healthy)if they don't start sooner, it will take that much longer and I'm not getting any younger.

I hope I didn't put anybody off by referencing mortality. I just need to make the point that I care deeply about the Islanders and the time it takes for a rebuild isn't in someone my age's best interest. I just don't see any other way and they can't keep putting off the inevitable.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Islanders haven't had a first round pick since 2019 (in 2018 they drafted Noah Dobson in the first round) and that pick was at 23. In 2020 they didn't have a first or second round pick. That starts to add up. It seems every game I watch lately there's one or two prospects breaking into other teams rosters and making a difference. The Islanders have nobody and I don't see that changing next year. It's the same tired group and they'll add a free agent or two.

Next year you'll see Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Montreal and the Flyers all improve as their younger players mature and their prospects make the leap to the NHL. The Islanders will either remain stagnant or fall back. You can't build a contender without developing your own through the draft.

I'm 63 years old, that last thing I would want is a rebuild. I have high school friends that have passed away at my age, but I know there's no other way then a rebuild. If you look at my history I was calling for this 2 years ago. It's unfortunate, but the Islanders have to be patient and spend the next 2-3 years rebuilding the team. Again I'll use my age (by the way, I'm very healthy)if they don't start sooner, it will take that much longer and I'm not getting any younger.

I hope I didn't put anybody off by referencing mortality. I just need to make the point that I care deeply about the Islanders and the time it takes for a rebuild isn't in someone my age's best interest. I just don't see any other way and they can't keep putting off the inevitable.
I think it’s been 5 years running on your second paragraph w/o much progress.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Who cares, team had to have started the rebuild this year or last year, they are playing meaningless hockey now and for the next decade I am sure

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Green

Nov 13, 2019
The same people who are hoping for a complete rebuild, and chastising anyone that supports the current team as having low expectations, are also the same ones actively hoping the team loses and devolves into a perennial loser. Interesting.

"Thank you sir may I have another..."
I will never root against the Islanders and even as weak as this team is I am still hoping they will get in the playoffs but I am not blind to how this team is structured, there is almost no chance to win a cup with how they are and there is no GM who can turn it into a contender in the next few years, when you have that as your team you destroy it and hope you can rebuild it into something better

Reactions: MJF

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I still want them to make the playoffs, but that's not happening.

With that out of the way, I suppose use this period as an evaluation to assess who stays and who goes. Also, assess BP's prospects, e.g. Isk, Maggio, Dufour.

To see Patrick Roy have another candid moment with the media after a game and say that the team lacks the type of players he needs to play his system.

Did he actually say this!?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I still want them to make the playoffs, but that's not happening.

With that out of the way, I suppose use this period as an evaluation to assess who stays and who goes. Also, assess BP's prospects, e.g. Isk, Maggio, Dufour.

Did he actually say this!?
No, but Roy recently has spoken more freely when talking about Ilya
Sorokin and Pierre Engvall. I would expect as Roy gets more frustrated with the team Lou handed him he will let something slip during a presser.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The same people who are hoping for a complete rebuild, and chastising anyone that supports the current team as having low expectations, are also the same ones actively hoping the team loses and devolves into a perennial loser. Interesting.

I think there's a complete lack of understanding that even if one assumes 12 teams are retooling/rebuilding, there remains 20 trying to win. And of those 20, more than half are as well resourced as the Islanders. And then the only likely scenario for a rebuild is once again becoming one of the 10-12 teams who are resourced, and who are competing as hard as they can for a cup.

The fact that the Islanders are still overwhelmingly unlikely to score a major UFA signing is a major factor. If, in the future, the Islanders get to a certain point, the likelihood will be that they'll have to empty their bank of futures to obtain missing pieces.

I don't have any goals for the remainder of the season - wtf can I do towards a goal anyway. I really don't know what the Islanders can do before the offseason. NYI need to have a good draft, shed some dead money, and rebuild the bottom 6 with short contracts. And, yeah, that's a lot like building a bullpen in baseball - a crap shoot.

In all likelihood, NYI aren't going anywhere if Pelech-Pulock have another year like this one. I think Pelech, in particular, should focus on getting healthy.

Reactions: MJF

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I think there's a complete lack of understanding that even if one assumes 12 teams are retooling/rebuilding, there remains 20 trying to win. And of those 20, more than half are as well resourced as the Islanders. And then the only likely scenario for a rebuild is once again becoming one of the 10-12 teams who are resourced, and who are competing as hard as they can for a cup.

The fact that the Islanders are still overwhelmingly unlikely to score a major UFA signing is a major factor. If, in the future, the Islanders get to a certain point, the likelihood will be that they'll have to empty their bank of futures to obtain missing pieces.

I don't have any goals for the remainder of the season - wtf can I do towards a goal anyway. I really don't know what the Islanders can do before the offseason. NYI need to have a good draft, shed some dead money, and rebuild the bottom 6 with short contracts. And, yeah, that's a lot like building a bullpen in baseball - a crap shoot.

In all likelihood, NYI aren't going anywhere if Pelech-Pulock have another year like this one. I think Pelech, in particular, should focus on getting healthy.
Good points. Especially the bolded. I feel the same way LOL. Though some here truly feel they can and DO influence things.

Regarding UFA signings, it's important to remember that even if we were a popular destination, the majority of those signings are not cheap. People get heartburn about offering a lot of term and $ and that's precisely what it takes. For guys entering the 2nd half of the careers...

I won't root for the Islanders to lose but I'm going to take every opportunity to disparage and shit all over anyone who is optimistic or hopeful about the team is quite the take.
"I won't root for them to lose but I really don't want them to win any more games."

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Barzal to 82 points

Ilya 2 more shutouts

Martin stays benched

More of Fasching and MacLean showing off

Nelson reaches 35 goals

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Are you trying to be this board's Fox News? None of what you said is true.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barzal to 82 points

Ilya 2 more shutouts

Martin stays benched

More of Fasching and MacLean showing off

Nelson reaches 35 goals
The only time Sorokin is getting a shutout from here on out is by riding the bench.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
I will never cheer for the Isles to lose; so hope they win as many games as possible and hope it's the last 13 games I have to see a lot of these guys in Islanders sweaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad