What are three teams you don't want to win the Celebrini lottery?

What are three teams you don't want to win the Celebrini lottery?

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'll go with San Jose, Anaheim, and New Jersey.

It's tempting to go with Chicago for obvious reasons, but i don't necessarily think that a strong Chicago isn't a good thing for the league as a whole. So i could probably live with it, even though it's annoying to envision them basically jumping right from the Kane+Toews years to bottom out for a few years only to be immediately reloaded with Bedard and Celebrini.

I would've had Arizona on the list since it'd be a waste to have him playing in a college rink for a largely unserious franchise run by a deeply unserious owner. But i wouldn't be that mad about Utah getting a shiny new "franchise player" to go with their big move. Create some extra buzz and excitement.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Chicago, New Jersey, Buffalo

Chicago for obvious reasons. Regardless of the Beach stuff, watching the Hawks draft a franchise talent shortly after they had a 3 cup run when my Wings could never get even a top 3 pick is infuriating.

New Jersey and Buffalo have had plenty of high picks for a while. Would prefer him not in our division too but can't have it all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny but I went with two division rivals (Montreal and Ottawa) but down deep, I would like Columbus to get him if he's in the East. So it isn't just divisional thing.

And of course Chicago. Because they didn't actually suffer a penalty for the Beach thing or yet for John Doe 2.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't think many people realize the huge sacrifice the Devils did to steal all of Taylor Halls luck.

Reactions: xigon

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Chicago (just got Bedard and lots of Cups)
Buffalo (keeps squandering top picks, don't need any more)
NJ (recently got Hischier and Hughes)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chicago since they already have Bedard.

Canadiens mostly cause of their rich history of success and legendary players. They could be in the dark ages for multiple decades onwards and they'd still be the greatest franchise in NHL history by a longshot.

And NJD, they probably need a 1st overall draft pick the least out of all the teams listed. Already have quite a bit of young talent in the forward and defenseman position compared to every other team here.

This with Ottawa and Buffalo 4th and 5th because it’s in my teams division.

Reactions: Felidae

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
easy for me as a Canes fan -- not the 2 metro teams (sorry columbus) and screw chicago if they get back to back 1st overall picks with elite prospects sitting there

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Chicago- no thanks. I would prefer if they weren’t a powerhouse again.

Buffalo- they’ll find new ways to mismanage the situation. I’d love for their fans to have some hope, but their management doesn’t deserve more help.

Columbus- I just don’t like this franchise.

4th place- Calgary. They deserve some good prospects. However, I strongly dislike them due to geographical proximity to my team lolz

Team I want to win- Montreal & Ottawa. Let’s build up the Canadian franchises please.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
NJD - They've had enough lottery luck, and they seem like they should be able to build a winner just fine without another #1 overall.

MTL - Huge rival for my team (Toronto).

CLB - I don't think that Columbus is doing much right, and would probably waste his talent if they landed Celebrini.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Originally I was kind of rooting for the Sharks to turn the corner by adding Celebrini to their roster, but after seeing everyone hating on Chicago winning the lottery, I really want to win it. Everyone hates us because of the Beach situation, but we haven't been competitive since 2015 and none of those employees or players are on our current team

• Wow
Reactions: TheOne and Xirik

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I kind of want to see Utah get him, if I'm being fully honest about it, ha ha.

The only teams I really don't want to see get any more good young players are Chicago (I have no respect for this franchise at all, and I wish they hadn't gotten Bedard too) and Calgary (because to heck with the Flames, may their mediocrity extend until the end of time.

I didn't have a 3rd, so I voted Seattle, only because they are nearly a playoff team anyway, and I don't want any more superstar prospects going to teams in my division.

I almost picked Columbus, but I didn't in the end because I feel bad for their fans. They deserve to have a good team.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why are so many people against Chicago? You don't want to see Bedard & Celebrini together on an O6 team?

The league is more fun when Chicago is good. The beginning of the Kane/Toews era was great.

Is this purely because of something that happened years ago that virtually nobody currently with the team in either management or on ice had anything to do with? You want to punish the abstract idea of the team?
No

Reactions: The Note

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I don't understand the SJS hate. They were a team that just ran out of steam after trying to be competitive for so long. I don't think they ever really tried to rebuild. They just ended up being bad, same with Calgary.

Chicago went full tear it down mode just to get Bedard. SJS is not even close to that level. From 2003-04 to 2018-19, they only missed the playoffs once. They put in effort to be competitive, trading for Karlsson to give their core another shot to win it, but the wheels just came off.

I think that's way more deserving than others on the list. Who are just permanent "meh" teams or in a constant rebuilding phase.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I said Chicago, Seattle and New Jersey but only because I have 3 votes.

Chicago - as a Blues fan, f*** the Blackhawks. But aside from that, the Blackhawks plan has been "let's be shit for a while, load it all up." f*** that.
New Jersey - was a 112-point team last season, in terms of "need" the Devils don't need a 1st overall pick.
Seattle - ... this is more a shot at we have all teh analytics but also a shot at arrogance the front office had in building a competitive team right off the bat. They've got a 2OA and a 4OA, and purportedly have teh analytics to be great. Cool, let's see it happen without a 1OA juicing the results.

HM: Buffalo (they don't need Celebrini; they need competent goaltending and a competent head coach)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Someone who hasn't had multiple #1 picks in the last 20 years. I want to see a small market team that's never won #1 OA get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad