What are the Jets doing for the fans?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I know your post is a lil' tongue and cheek but seriously...

We complained for months about greed of the players and owners and now people are starting to show that the fans' entitlement is no different.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I just saw how the Maple Leafs are giving every STH free admission to the opener: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650841

Very Impressive!!! :handclap:

What are TN and the Jets doing for us? Perhaps a free ink cartridge for every STH in attendance would be in order? :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I'd take it, at very least as compensation for the damn cards...

But no, we get nothing basically, most every other team is getting something for the lockout...

25% at Jets stores is the only thing I have heard. (This week only Jan 12-19).

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd take it, at very least as compensation for the damn cards...

But no, we get nothing basically, most every other team is getting something for the lockout...

25% at Jets stores is the only thing I have heard. (This week only Jan 12-19).

Everything okay big guy? You seem mighty sour today :laugh:

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I know your post is a lil' tongue and cheek but seriously...

We complained for months about greed of the players and owners and now people are starting to show that the fans' entitlement is no different.

It is very tongue in cheek.

To be honest, I expect nothing. I was, however, taken aback by this move from the Leafs.

Think about their STH base... nearly entirely corporate. Frankly, they are the last STH base in the league that could use a financial break.

And all that said, I think it would be nice if the Jets did something. Holden is right, nearly every other team in the league is doing something.

I understand supply and demand... But...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
What are the Jets going to do for the fans?

Play hockey is my best guess. That is all they owe us.

I won't turn down free swag, but I don't care if we get any.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
To be clear, I have absolutely no problem with the Jets doing nothing for the fans. They have no need to, they are sold out forever, merch goes off the shelve as fast as they can stock it, they are the talk of the town. It's a business, they don't need to appease anyone, they have 10 people lined up for every 1 that gets mad and leaves.

It's the same reason I am not mad at either the PA or the Ownership group for greed. They did what they felt was best to ensure their interests were protected. This is not a vital service, it is an entertainment option, they are not forcing anyone to endure the lockout, go do something else if it pisses you off that much. It's your choice to watch and/or spend money on the NHL, they are not forcing you. Do people get this upset when a movie is delayed? Oh well you wait for it to come out...Entertainment this is, not some basic human right...

Doesn't mean I wouldn't have appreciated something other than getting screwed with ST cards, but it's a meh, oh well we didn't get anything, not a big deal...

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Everyone here has the attitude that were lucky to have the NHL back and to just bend over and take it from TNSE. Im not complaining at all but when every other team in the league is doing something but us it does kinda annoy me. Pittsburgh was sending Sidney Crosby to deliver season tickets to a fans house last year!

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I think my thread title came off wrong. I am with most of you, I have no expectations of anything beyond great hockey. Its all I've ever wanted and am beyond satisfied. I'm still ecstatic, in fact. I am also staunch defender of the new ticket system and am of the belief that this org is first class all the way.

The Leafs thing really caught me by surprise today and given that this is a Jets forum, I didn't want to post a Leafs thread, specifically.

That said, I feel kind of guilty now. Thanks a lot Lynk! Where do I sign up for volunteer work cleaning garbage outside MTS Centre???

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Everyone here has the attitude that were lucky to have the NHL back and to just bend over and take it from TNSE. Im not complaining at all but when every other team in the league is doing something but us it does kinda annoy me. Pittsburgh was sending Sidney Crosby to deliver season tickets to a fans house last year!

Just because other teams have PR issues or trouble filling buildings shouldn't mean the the Jets have to do anything.
They did offer 25% off in their store and I would guess that 95% of Leaf fans would rather have that than have the STHs be given free tickets.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
How is it not feeling entitled to something "bending over" for TNSE?
I just don't get it. I don't feel wronged by the owners or the players, so I don't get why I should get anything from them. I got ST with eyes wide open, I knew a lockout was a possibility.

Just because other teams have PR issues or trouble filling buildings shouldn't mean the the Jets have to do anything.
They did offer 25% off in their store and I would guess that 95% of Leaf fans would rather have that than have the STHs be given free tickets.

Good point.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
How is it not feeling entitled to something "bending over" for TNSE?
I just don't get it. I don't feel wronged by the owners or the players, so I don't get why I should get anything from them. I got ST with eyes wide open, I knew a lockout was a possibility.

Good point.

I just think its a nice gesture what some of these teams are doing that's all. Maybe theyll surprise me and be handing out some sweet swag at the game saturday ;)

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Giveaways don't build loyalty. I don't see any point in the Jets giving away bobbleheads, hats, free tickets (to games that are all sellouts anyway), etc. They should be doing something to wash away any hard feelings from the lockout since everyone else is but it should be something honorable if they really want to be a classy organization - ex. they should give extra money to community initiatives (inner city rec centers, hockey programs, etc.) to show their appreciation for fan support through the lockout. It doesn't have to be something tangible directly to the fans, just some sign of gratitude to the city. Whether or not we're "entitled" to anything has nothing to do with PR.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Clearly the LOCKOUT was for the fans of the Winnipeg Jets. If you think about that... HONESTLY for a while, you will understand it.

If the Jets play in an environment where they can sign and keep marquee players, and have the chance to win the Stanley Cup, I am happy.

I'll take that over some mea culpa giveaway any day of the week.

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but it's become quite evident that there are some who are just itching to find fault in an org that worked for many years to bring the NHL back here. If you choose to turn on them any time you think something isn't perfect, so be it.

I will stay loyal to the org that stayed loyal to my city.

Beazley

Duke of the Dale
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I agree vBurmi. I think a gesture would be a smart move and I'm not talking about Bobbleheads. Something tangible for the community would go a long way (I figure) washing away those feelings which do exist in some Jets fans, especially the casual ones.

I am fully expecting a TN press conference shortly to clarify (not rescind!) the fact that 1) there will not be a waiving of gestures going forward and 2) there were never plans to waive these gestures in the future, despite how the literature may read. :sarcasm: :naughty:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
How 'bout they just get on with it.

If Saturday's game is delayed for some speeches from Chipman and Ladd, I'll puke.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Clearly the LOCKOUT was for the fans of the Winnipeg Jets. If you think about that... HONESTLY for a while, you will understand it.

Yes! Exactly how I've felt about this whole thing. Doesn't make much sense to be mad that TNSE would be for the owners' position in all this, as it benefits the long term stability of the franchise. All the other teams also have more face-saving to do for their fans as this is a 2nd lockout in less than a decade that they've had to endure. Not the case with us. In fact, if it weren't for the last one, we might (probably) still be half-heartedly rooting for other teams around the league.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
PS my previous comment in this thread was a little passionate, but it was made as a poster, not a mod. Feel free to tear it to shreds if you do not agree :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad