Player Discussion What are the Flames plans for Dustin Wolf?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Ngl i don't see why the Flames can't take Wolf slow to some extent. Vladar isn't a massive blockade, he's a young, promising goalie but compared to Markstrom the choice there is obvious, and the prospective profit relative to acquisition cost for Vladar is positive. As for Wolf himself, if he is ready for the NHL next season there isn't much convincing needed that the Saros - Rinne tandem work with a proven goalie allowing a young, promising player make mistakes/big strides. If we reach this level of production of Wolf being a good back-up, then I'd feel safe moving Markstrom (though even that might not be necessary with a shared, say $8 mil cap hit thru the end of Markstrom's deal between he and Wolf). There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a strong #1 goalie and a cheap, potentially elite backup for the near future.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Vladar is signed through next season, some of you are going to be awfully disappointed. I'm thankful that it's pretty unlikely that Wolf will be rushed to the NHL.

The chance of an injury to one of the 2 at the NHL level over the next year + 1/2 is pretty good.
I think fans will be happy with him getting a tatse here & there next year, and let fate take it from there.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The chance of an injury to one of the 2 at the NHL level over the next year + 1/2 is pretty good.
I think fans will be happy with him getting a tatse here & there next year, and let fate take it from there.
That’s true, but that’s the type of environment we want. Call him up for injuries and the like for cups of coffee. Awesome.

Let’s not start ‘relying’ on him after just 1 pro season though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Vladar is signed through next season, some of you are going to be awfully disappointed. I'm thankful that it's pretty unlikely that Wolf will be rushed to the NHL.

I mean you’re probably correct in how this will play out, it’s the safe bet. But I firmly believe Wolf is the real deal. He’s been dominant everywhere he goes, he’s a flat out stud. I just can’t help but think his development would be fast tracked by being in the NHL. Of course the Flames will likely keep him the AHL because they think you can’t overripe a prospect. But the faster he gets ready would allow us to free up the Markstrom contract, similarly to Vancouver did with Luongo.

The other part of it for me is I do not want the Flames to be in a situation that they cannot move Markstrom.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I mean you’re probably correct in how this will play out, it’s the safe bet. But I firmly believe Wolf is the real deal. He’s been dominant everywhere he goes, he’s a flat out stud. I just can’t help but think his development would be fast tracked by being in the NHL. Of course the Flames will likely keep him the AHL because they think you can’t overripe a prospect. But the faster he gets ready would allow us to free up the Markstrom contract, similarly to Vancouver did with Luongo.

The other part of it for me is I do not want the Flames to be in a situation that they cannot move Markstrom.
I totally agree with you that he is indeed the real deal, and that is exactly why it is paramount that they do not rush him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I totally agree with you that he is indeed the real deal, and that is exactly why it is paramount that they do not rush him.
If rushing him is the correct development path, the Flames will keep him in the minors.

If not rushing him is the correct development plan, he'll be platooning with Markstrom or Vladar next season.

This is the Calgary Flames way.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Vladar is so easily tradeable. If Wolf makes a huge challenge for an NHL spot, we could probably charge a 1st for Vladar

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Vladar is so easily tradeable. If Wolf makes a huge challenge for an NHL spot, we could probably charge a 1st for Vladar
My feelings exactly. Vladar, particularly if he has a good season, is a very valuable and tradeable player.
Nothing wrong with Wolf taking Vladar's place next year as the backup to Markstrom and playing 25 games a year. He'll learn a lot more playing against NHL talent than what he'll see in the AHL. Just practicing against Flames players will be so much more beneficial than those on the Heat.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
No need to rush anything, keep things as they are. Next year Cheech takes Werners spot & we see how Wolf does in the odd call up. In the 23-24 season Hopefully Markstrom's moved and we run Vladar/Wolf in NHL and the 2 Russians in AHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My feelings exactly. Vladar, particularly if he has a good season, is a very valuable and tradeable player.
Nothing wrong with Wolf taking Vladar's place next year as the backup to Markstrom and playing 25 games a year. He'll learn a lot more playing against NHL talent than what he'll see in the AHL. Just practicing against Flames players will be so much more beneficial than those on the Heat.

Problem with this is if Markstrom goes down, we are stuck using then 21 y/o Wolf as a full time starter. Which is exactly the situation the Flames should avoid putting him in.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Problem with this is if Markstrom goes down, we are stuck using then 21 y/o Wolf as a full time starter. Which is exactly the situation the Flames should avoid putting him in.
True but I'm not sure I would feel any better with Vladar as the #1 starter over Wolf.. if Wolf continues to play like he has. Vladar is ok.. but I think Wolf is better. I'd rather gamble with Wolf than Vlad.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Flames were finally able to get someone that you can actually call a #1 goalie, and people here are saying he should be traded to make room for a prospect.

I'm as much excited about Wolf as any of you but let's wait him playing at least few NHL games before shipping Markström for pickcs

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
True but I'm not sure I would feel any better with Vladar as the #1 starter over Wolf.. if Wolf continues to play like he has. Vladar is ok.. but I think Wolf is better. I'd rather gamble with Wolf than Vlad.

I can definitely buy the argument that Wolf might be better than Vladar in a years time, but then you have them compete for the backup role, you don't just hand it to Wolf.

If Vladar gets waived (and claimed) in that scenario, maybe you need to sign a journeyman to be the backup to the backup if Markstrom goes down.

Either way though, in that case then you'd at least have a tandem of Wolf + Vladar/Journeyman rather than Wolf + unplayable 2nd goalie, wherein Wolf is expected to shoulder the entire load in net.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I can definitely buy the argument that Wolf might be better than Vladar in a years time, but then you have them compete for the backup role, you don't just hand it to Wolf.

If Vladar gets waived (and claimed) in that scenario, maybe you need to sign a journeyman to be the backup to the backup if Markstrom goes down.

Either way though, in that case then you'd at least have a tandem of Wolf + Vladar/Journeyman rather than Wolf + unplayable 2nd goalie, wherein Wolf is expected to shoulder the entire load in net.

I honestly agree with every recent post you said. But I will simply add, if he's ready, he's ready. And I think he is not far off.

But again, I do not except the Flames will do what has been done with Hart and Knight.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Oh definitely. I'm not saying to just hand it to Wolf. I don't think anybody is. I'm just saying that if Wolf is ready to play in the NHL, let him play. Don't keep him in Stockton just because.
I may be wrong but I think development wise, 25 games in the NHL learning under Markstrom, is better for him than 45 games in the AHL against lesser competition.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I still have confidence that Tyler Parsons some day will be one of the Flames top goalies. :sarcasm:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Another win tonight for Wolf where he allowed 1 goal on 30 shots giving him a season 1.90 GAA and a .939 Sv% and a 11-0-2 record.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He should be wearing a label at all times. Do not touch. Hope Coach Love down in Stockton has notified his defense of this very important mandatory policy. Last thing we need is some AHL Bakersfield plug running the goalie and him getting injured.

I could maybe see him getting a couple games at the end of the year like the Flames often do with other players. Wolf is eating that league alive down there, definitely deserves to see that recognized.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that the regular season is over I thought it might be appropriate to bump this thread.
21 year old first year pro Dustin Wolf finished the season with a .924 Sv% and a 2.35 GA with a 33-9-4 record.
He won the AHL Goaltender of the Year award and was named to the AHL first all star team.
Do you think he's ready to move up to the Flames as the backup goalie to study under Labarbera and Markstrom? Vladar has been decent this year but certainly not spectacular. I believe he finished the season with a .906 Sv% and a 2.75 GAA which is somewhat average. Vladar has one more year on his contract and I think he could be traded for a draft pick. I think its fairly obvious that Sutter didn't have a lot of confidence in Vladar and only played him when he absolutely had to... other than the end of the season where Sutter's primary goal was to rest Markstrom. I say trade Vladar.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Now that the regular season is over I thought it might be appropriate to bump this thread.
21 year old first year pro Dustin Wolf finished the season with a .924 Sv% and a 2.35 GA with a 33-9-4 record.
He won the AHL Goaltender of the Year award and was named to the AHL first all star team.
Do you think he's ready to move up to the Flames as the backup goalie to study under Labarbera and Markstrom? Vladar has been decent this year but certainly not spectacular. I believe he finished the season with a .906 Sv% and a 2.75 GAA which is somewhat average. Vladar has one more year on his contract and I think he could be traded for a draft pick. I think its fairly obvious that Sutter didn't have a lot of confidence in Vladar and only played him when he absolutely had to... other than the end of the season where Sutter's primary goal was to rest Markstrom. I say trade Vladar.
I personally don't think another year in the ahl will hurt wolf. I think you bring all 3 into camp and if Wolf beats out Vlad then so be it but forcing him into the role is a real bad idea imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00