Player Discussion What are the Flames plans for Dustin Wolf?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This kid has been nothing but consistently outstanding in every league that he's played in... so yeah... 5 pro games sure but if he continues to play as great in Stockton for the rest of the season I don't see what the advantage would be in keeping him there for a 2nd year.
Trade Vladar in the summer and bring in Wolf as Markstrom's backup for the 2022-23 season. Let him apprentice under one of the best.

remember Leland Irving?. He had good jr stats too. You just don’t rush goalie. Once their confidence is gone, they are toast. Plenty of young goalies started fast and faded, Jim Carey, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft….

Reactions: Darth Vladar

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
remember Leland Irving?. He had good jr stats too. You just don’t rush goalie. Once their confidence is gone, they are toast. Plenty of young goalies started fast and faded, Jim Carey, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft….
You’ve got a good point but the last goalie we had with stats like Wolfs was Jon Gillies. Wait, crap.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

You’ve got a good point but the last goalie we had with stats like Wolfs was Jon Gillies. Wait, crap.

Leland Irving or Jon Gillies never had stats that Dustin Wolf has. Nor have they won the awards that Wolf has.

Reactions: Ainsy01

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Leland Irving or Jon Gillies never had stats that Dustin Wolf has. Nor have they won the awards that Wolf has.
It’s a bit apples to oranges since Gillies was a NCAA goalie, but he had some absolutely dominate numbers and was a top NCAA goalie. I think it’s absolutely fair to compare them statistically. From an award perspective, Wolfs resume is better but Gillies won some pretty impressive NCAA awards himself.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It’s a bit apples to oranges since Gillies was a NCAA goalie, but he had some absolutely dominate numbers and was a top NCAA goalie. I think it’s absolutely fair to compare them statistically. From an award perspective, Wolfs resume is better but Gillies won some pretty impressive NCAA awards himself.

1) The word you're looking for is dominant, not dominate. One is an adjective, the other is a verb.
2) Those numbers are actually a lot more common in the NCAA than you think... SH% are just really low since a lot of these guys were former Junior A or American HS roleplayers who are just there for the scholarship and education. Truly elite numbers are closer to what Hellebuyck did in the NCAA.
3) Eyetest alone Wolf is a great goalie. Gillies was.. a big goalie with awful fundamentals. I said this even when he was part of Providence' championship team. His successor actually had better numbers than him the next year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CHL goalie of the year? Looked up that list and most never made it. Not saying Wolf won’t be a good goalie in the NHL but winning junior awards means very little.

Also, the only way Wolf can make it any time soon is if Markstrom is injured or failed miserably. You don’t want that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
1) The word you're looking for is dominant, not dominate. One is an adjective, the other is a verb.
2) Those numbers are actually a lot more common in the NCAA than you think... SH% are just really low since a lot of these guys were former Junior A or American HS roleplayers who are just there for the scholarship and education. Truly elite numbers are closer to what Hellebuyck did in the NCAA.
3) Eyetest alone Wolf is a great goalie. Gillies was.. a big goalie with awful fundamentals. I said this even when he was part of Providence' championship team. His successor actually had better numbers than him the next year.

Firstly, "eyetest" isn't a word. Please proof-read your own post before correcting others lest you look like an ass clown. I will now disregard the rest of this post because of your incredible lack of attention to detail.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Speaking of Jon Gillies...

He's now playing for the Providence Bruins in the AHL and he has a .968 Sv% and a 1.00 GAA after two games.
He obviously likes playing hockey in Providence.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Vladar will crack, he just seems like he has spaghetti legs to me. Who knows maybe he'll be a good player though.

I predict Wolf will push Markstrom starting next season. His ability to stay or recover into a stand-up style on second saves is something special.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Vladar will crack, he just seems like he has spaghetti legs to me. Who knows maybe he'll be a good player though.

I predict Wolf will push Markstrom starting next season. His ability to stay or recover into a stand-up style on second saves is something special.
Well he certainly hasn't knocked my socks off yet with his play. Two games and a .900 Sv% in one game and .880 in the other. Its early in the season though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Wolf will be the backup by next or the following season at the latest. Within 3 years he will be the 1A starter, Marty 1B. (65/35).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guy still needs two full seasons in the AHL before we sort of get what we have here.

Works out timing wise too. Markstrom will have only a couple years left, you can platoon the two teaching Wolf how the pros get ready/work with Wolf getting the starting role eventually.

This all, of course, is all tied to him continuing his trajectory.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He is every bit as good as Hart and Hart is the best goalie prospect I've ever personally seen play in the whl. He might be able to take the backup job next year but I'd prefer if he isn't going to get 30+ games he plays 2 years in the AHL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
12 GP with a 10-0-2 record.
1.98 GAA and a 937 Sv%
He's no flash in the pan. He dominates what ever league he's playing in.
If this kid finishes the season the way he's started, how hell do you leave him on the farm next year?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ive liked Vladar but Wolf wins us that game last night. His rebound control is amazing. And his positioning is so special he’s able to get back into position for the second save more often than not. Which is rare.

Kevin Woodley, the goaltending guru, said Wolf is better than Saros at the same age. And this was before the season. He also said “do not put a ceiling on this guy”. If you’ve followed Kevin Woodley you know he knows what he’s talking about.

edit: if we can get a first + for Markstrom in the off-season I think you have to strongly consider it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Saros comparison is interesting because they're both 5'11" and built like twigs (at least Saros used to be). Wolf's doing everything right so far. Nice to have optimism about our goaltending for once. Sigalet's coaching chops are dubious but he might be the best goalie scout in the world

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
One more year in the AHL after this season and then likely will have to make space in the NHL

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Red Garrett Memorial Award
Baz Bastien Memorial Award
Calder Cup
Jack A Butterfield Trophy
Baz Bastien Memorial Award #2
Calder Cup #2
Jack A Butterfield Trophy #2
Calder Trophy
Vezina Trophy
William M. Jennings Trophy
Stanley Cup
Conn Smythe Trophy
Vezina Trophy #2
William M. Jennings Trophy #2
Stanley Cup #2
Conn Smythe Trophy #2
Vezina Trophy #3
Hart Trophy #1
Stanley Cup #3
Conn Smythe Trophy #3
Vezina Trophy #4
Hart Trophy #2
Stanley Cup #4
Conn Smythe Trophy #4
Vezina Trophy #5
William M. Jennings Trophy #3
Stanley Cup #5
Conn Smythe Trophy #5
Number Retired In the new Arena
Hockey Hall of Fame 1st Ballot
If he doesn't become the first goalie to win an Art Ross I'll be disappointed.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ive liked Vladar but Wolf wins us that game last night. His rebound control is amazing. And his positioning is so special he’s able to get back into position for the second save more often than not. Which is rare.

Kevin Woodley, the goaltending guru, said Wolf is better than Saros at the same age. And this was before the season. He also said “do not put a ceiling on this guy”. If you’ve followed Kevin Woodley you know he knows what he’s talking about.

edit: if we can get a first + for Markstrom in the off-season I think you have to strongly consider it.

I love Wolf and his resume, but I think moving Markstrom before Wolf even plays an NHL game could be a mistake.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The Saros comparison is interesting because they're both 5'11" and built like twigs (at least Saros used to be). Wolf's doing everything right so far. Nice to have optimism about our goaltending for once. Sigalet's coaching chops are dubious but he might be the best goalie scout in the world
Us adapting and creating a goaltending department was a brilliant move in retrospect. Labarbera is a very well respected goalie coach and Sigalet gets to do what he does best and just identify goalies with high potential, and is now very hands off with our goalies which is a massive plus.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He should 100% be our backup next year. This is the type of player that will get better by facing the best competition. I think he will be as good as Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00