Post-Game Talk: What A Run: Thank you, 2013-14 New York Rangers

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
This one hurts so much because a couple bounces/calls our way and everything would be way different.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This one hurts so much because a couple bounces/calls our way and everything would be way different.

It hurts, but it's also a reason for pride. The fact that we can look at such specific instances really illustrates how close the series actually was.

Water1

May 4, 2013
Thank you for making hockey in June meaningful. 28 other teams and their fans were wishing to be where we were. I know I have been there. I enjoyed caring about the outcome of the games. 3 bounces were the difference.
Next year the cup comes to New York

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
He gave this team and city everything he had to give. They all did. Gonna be a long time before we get this close again.

I think the window is closing, but they have a crack next year if they add the right players. They need to tweak the roster, but they certainly have as good a chance as anyone in the East.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
just think if our top forwards produced adequately, who would be able to stop us? 15 mil worth of nothingness and we still got this far.

RangersDif

Oct 18, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
It hurts more than usual of course because we haven't gotten this far in 20 years, but most of all I feel bad for one player - Henrik Lundqvist. He worked his ass off out there, ALWAYS! He deserved to win the cup this year and we all know how bad he wants it. Not biased 'cause I'm a Swede, I truly feel that he's the player that deserved it the most.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And where was our D then? It's easy from your nice chair to criticize, without thinking about the almost 5 periods they had played. They were dead tired.

It was a hell of a fight, and our boys made me proud. We went down with the flag still raised, and nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm really looking forward to next season :)

Yep. I thought the same, both teams were mentally and physically tired. If there's a game and series that this team should get a break, I think this should be the one. What is overanalyzing a play going to do? They won't play another meaningful game in almost 4 months. Just save it and be proud by the effort.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
It hurts, but it's also a reason for pride. The fact that we can look at such specific instances really illustrates how close the series actually was.

well said.. Hopefully we can gain some respect in the league and amongst fans..

we will be back..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
well said.. Hopefully we can gain some respect in the league and amongst fans..

we will be back..

The Rangers have been disrespected all playoffs. First we won because of Emery. Then we won because the Pens choked. Then we won because of Tokarski. Then we got dominated and suck despite playing in 3 OT games.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Believe me, I hate using excuses as much as anybody, but the refs were really awful in this series. I'm sure most sane neutral fans would agree.

Most notably games 2 and 5. I honestly think we should have won both those games (especially game 2), and lost game 4.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I disagree with this. Lundqvist has always been as good as he was this year but he's got a very good team in front of him now.

Two years ago we made it to the East Finals. We weren't that far away. No reason to think this was Henrik's last shot. We could easy be better next year. I can only hope Sather actually bolsters the team at a trade deadline. I liked Carcillo but he wasn't much of an acquisition and Diaz was a #7 Dman. LA brought in Gabby and they wouldn't have gotten where the did without him.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Two years ago we made it to the East Finals. We weren't that far away. No reason to think this was Henrik's last shot. We could easy be better next year. I can only hope Sather actually bolsters the team at a trade deadline. I liked Carcillo but he wasn't much of an acquisition and Diaz was a #7 Dman. LA brought in Gabby and they wouldn't have gotten where the did without him.

Getting MSL doesn't count as bolstering the team at the deadline?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Believe me, I hate using excuses as much as anybody, but the refs were really awful in this series. I'm sure most sane neutral fans would agree.

Most notably games 2 and 5. I honestly think we should have won both those games (especially game 2), and lost game 4.

Chicago fans have been saying the same thing from what I've read

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I feel like the people saying it will be a long time before we get back are the same ones who expected us to be out in the 2nd round prior to the start of the playoffs.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Congrats guys

Montreal fan here, I come in peace.

Just wanted to pop by and say I was kind of rooting for you guys against the Kings, and I am disappointed to see the cup go to the west again.

The Rangers had a great year though, yes we lost Price during the ECF, but, the Rangers play a very similar style game to the Habs, both teams are built very similarly, the Rangers just executed better.

The finals were a lot closer than the 5 games it ended in. 5 overtime periods in 3 games, really, you're only 3 favorable bounces away from winning that series. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Anyway, congrats on a great year guys.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Getting MSL doesn't count as bolstering the team at the deadline?

It is. Don't know where this guy is going here. We do need some more size up front. Need a bigger center to help fit Brass and Step in the top 3 lines. Think that is what would improve the team after moving on from Richards. Would like to get a right handed threat for the PP as well. I would personally move Staal for that type of center and find a 3rd pairing guy. Promote Moore to 2nd pairing.

We had a great run. A little tweak here or there and we could be more dangerous.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I think the window is closing, but they have a crack next year if they add the right players. They need to tweak the roster, but they certainly have as good a chance as anyone in the East.

This was the 3rd year of our "5 year" window. Obviously things changed greatly when the roster was gutted to trade for Nash.

I Sound like a broken record but we still have the same needs as we have in previous off seasons.

1. A number one center
2. A PMD

That's what we need TODAY. We start losing guys in FA or trades who knows what we wind up with come training camp.

We have witnessed how hard it is for a team to win a Championship. Other teams seem to make it look easy, rest assured it will never be easy for the Rangers.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Montreal fan here, I come in peace.

Just wanted to pop by and say I was kind of rooting for you guys against the Kings, and I am disappointed to see the cup go to the west again.

The Rangers had a great year though, yes we lost Price during the ECF, but, the Rangers play a very similar style game to the Habs, both teams are built very similarly, the Rangers just executed better.

The finals were a lot closer than the 5 games it ended in. 5 overtime periods in 3 games, really, you're only 3 favorable bounces away from winning that series. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Anyway, congrats on a great year guys.

Thanks man.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
The way I look at things is this...

Considering that there was within less than a years' time the following:

-Trading Coaches
-final rennovations to MSG
-contacts negotiations with core players lasting into the season
-subsequent 15-game road trip(including preseason) to start the year
-condensed schedule because of the Olympics
-having a sizeable amount of players actually playing in said Olympics
-Trading Captains
-Regular Season stretch drive & Postseason
-MSL's personal tragedy

Considering ALL of that...to still play essentially 6 games(if you add up the OT's as a full game in themselves) & still reasonably have a shot the way they did only gets me more pumped to think of what could possibly be the case in more---normal---circumstances next season.

Thanks everybody for a really, really good season.

Cobra Jack*

Everyone still keeps saying "west was too dominant, the real SCF was the kings/blackhawks".

I know it shouldn't bother me, but I keep thinking to myself "how stupid can these people be?"...did no one watch the games? Did everyone just see "kings win in 5" and make assumptions? I'm at a loss here. I care, because I want my team to get the recognition it deserves.

Kings were better but they weren't THAT much better. It's amazing how the human mind works, though, isn't it? The power of suggestion is an amazing thing. EVERYONE kept hyping up how "west is best" and despite WATCHING the Rangers go neck and neck with L.A. people STILL cling to the notion that the series was a blowout because that's what they were told it was going to be beforehand.

:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad