Post-Game Talk: What A Run: Thank you, 2013-14 New York Rangers

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
You guys should read the YAHOO comments. Wow, infuriating. "Rangers were outclassed by a far superior team" and "the series was won in 5 games so the Kings never had any competition".

Did these morons even watch the games? :shakehead

I'm sure they watched but only saw what their eyes wanted to see. Such a shame really.

Cake or Death

Isles fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say that was some of the most exciting hockey I've ever watched. My eyes were literally glued to the TV the whole series.

I was almost rooting for it to go to game 7, just because it was that awesome. Good stuff guys, good season.

Thank you, very classy of you. Good luck to your boys going forward. I am a NYer regardless and hopefully one of our teams can win a Cup for NY here soon. Cheers

Cobra Jack*

Game 1: Rangers blow 2-0 lead. Hagelin misses breakaway at the end of regulation.

Game 2: Rangers blow ANOTHER 2-0 lead. Also a 3-1 lead. ALSO a 4-2 lead. A bullspit non-call in the 3rd against Lundqvist seals it. Kreider hits the post in OT, and also misses a breakaway. Rangers lose.

Game 5: Rangers blow a 2-1 lead. Bullspit call yet again, this time on Zuccarello. McDonaugh hits the post, and the Rangers hit ANOTHER post while on the powerplay. Rangers lose the series.

If we win even ONE of those games, this series most likely goes to 7 games. And we know how Lundqvist is in Game 7's. I feel like we were not only robbed of a great chance at the Stanley cup, but I aslo feel as if HOCKEY ITSELF was robbed of a potentially EPIC 7 game series.

The NHL shot itself in the foot these finals, and blew a potentially EPIC 7 game series between the 2 biggest markets in the U.S. all because the officials have been ATROCIOUS. This is unacceptable for a league that's trying to grow in popularity. :shakehead

Cake or Death

Garbage officiating tainted this series.

True. But it isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Hopefully the loss leaves a nasty taste in the player's mouths and they come out even hungrier next season. That is the silver lining here: the experience gained from getting this far and the chance for this defeat to eat at you so hard that you're desire to win is ramped to another level. As Vince Lombardi said, "If you can accept losing, you can't win." This loss should be a harsh call to action to every player on this squad to train even harder and to want it even more.

Cobra Jack*

The thing that surprised me was the fact that the RANGERS were the team that looked the most gassed. I thought the Kings would be more fatigued than us, but apparently I was wrong. Were they a better conditioned team?

Brad Richards killed us in this series with his play. Not from lack of effort, but he just looked completely wiped out imo.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The thing that surprised me was the fact that the RANGERS were the team that looked the most gassed. I thought the Kings would be more fatigued than us, but apparently I was wrong. Were they a better conditioned team?

Brad Richards killed us in this series with his play. Not from lack of effort, but he just looked completely wiped out imo.

I think the physicality of the Kings wore the Rangers down as the game went on (third period plus)

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Still feeling like **** today. I'm nauseous thinking about what a tough road to get here was. 82 games and a 6 month regular season, and so much has to break right to get to the finals.

Truly is an empty feeling.

Cobra Jack*

b2ca1710-f387-11e3-9782-9d8924d4b8d2_856785095.gif

3dec3940-f388-11e3-9bab-5d285d3a8db5_856785203.gif

d126dd10-f382-11e3-8f8f-f143cd6ce260_856790108.gif

22f231d0-f383-11e3-9bab-5d285d3a8db5_856790312.gif

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
True. But it isn't the first time and it won't be the last. Hopefully the loss leaves a nasty taste in the player's mouths and they come out even hungrier next season. That is the silver lining here: the experience gained from getting this far and the chance for this defeat to eat at you so hard that you're desire to win is ramped to another level. As Vince Lombardi said, "If you can accept losing, you can't win." This loss should be a harsh call to action to every player on this squad to train even harder and to want it even more.

I agree with this and I really hope our players feel the same way.

Wolfy*

Lots of funny images from the game last night.

Zucc...what are you doing? :laugh:

images

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
When the Rangers made it to the Stanley Cup Final, did anyone here think, "Oh, it's great that we made it this far. Good run." Everyone wanted to win it all.

I don't know if there is a worse feeling than making it to the Final and then getting eliminated. Hopefully, the players on this team can take this experience, so totally unnecessary right now, and turn it into one of the tools that will help them become champions within the next couple of years.
Honestly losing in 2012 to the Devils had me feeling way worse than losing last night. I don't even feel bad about it. It was a great, entertaining run.

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
Game 1: Rangers blow 2-0 lead. Hagelin misses breakaway at the end of regulation.

Game 2: Rangers blow ANOTHER 2-0 lead. Also a 3-1 lead. ALSO a 4-2 lead. A bullspit non-call in the 3rd against Lundqvist seals it. Kreider hits the post in OT, and also misses a breakaway. Rangers lose.

Game 5: Rangers blow a 2-1 lead. Bullspit call yet again, this time on Zuccarello. McDonaugh hits the post, and the Rangers hit ANOTHER post while on the powerplay. Rangers lose the series.

If we win even ONE of those games, this series most likely goes to 7 games. And we know how Lundqvist is in Game 7's. I feel like we were not only robbed of a great chance at the Stanley cup, but I aslo feel as if HOCKEY ITSELF was robbed of a potentially EPIC 7 game series.

The NHL shot itself in the foot these finals, and blew a potentially EPIC 7 game series between the 2 biggest markets in the U.S. all because the officials have been ATROCIOUS. This is unacceptable for a league that's trying to grow in popularity. :shakehead

couldnt of said it better

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Look, I'm upset with the on-ice officials as much as all of you. Nothing you can do about that, you can only control what you can control.

We should be celebrating the leaps that the Rangers have made over the past few years. First it was the lack of defense. The Rangers brought in Torts to get the defense straightened out. But Rangers could only go so far on defense and it had a huge problem with the power play. They also didn't have a fourth line the opposing team could take seriously. So Rangers get AV, get a viable fourth line, made the power play respectable, and get into the SCF when they weren't expected to. That's a quantum leap.

So now Rangers need to make the next leap to actually winning the cup. IMO, they need to buy out Richards (Brad was totally gassed by the end of the SCF, we all could see that), keep MSL, move Staal or Girardi to clear out some cap space, and get some centers to expose one of our biggest weaknesses (Stepan is not a first line center). They will probably make some moves to manage the cap, which may mean losing Boyle and Moore and bring in some players to fill the gap. As for Nash, I agree with some posters here that he's not what he was a couple of years ago, and showing similarities to Lindros. I don't think we can move him, and thus should not be on a first line unless he makes a drastic turnaround.

All in all, better than three years ago.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
Just a feeling of pain.. woke up today I feel like ****. This guy cares, and this feeling is probably one of the worst I've ever experienced as a sports fan.

I've been put through the wringer with the Mets, and this feeling is probably 5X as worse as when they got knocked out by the Cards in the NLCS.. and when the Rangers got KO'd by the Devils.

Gotta love this guys heart, it's heartbreaking to see this:

henrik-lundqvist1.png

Wolfy*

thats what i was screaming during the entire play. Terrible back check

And where was our D then? It's easy from your nice chair to criticize, without thinking about the almost 5 periods they had played. They were dead tired.

It was a hell of a fight, and our boys made me proud. We went down with the flag still raised, and nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm really looking forward to next season :)

LGRDunDunDunDunDa

Mar 17, 2011
Great Run...so exciting to watch....3 OT Loses Hurts sooooo Bad....
Conn Smythe to The Officials(They ruined this series)

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Just a feeling of pain.. woke up today I feel like ****. This guy cares, and this feeling is probably one of the worst I've ever experienced as a sports fan.

I've been put through the wringer with the Mets, and this feeling is probably 5X as worse as when they got knocked out by the Cards in the NLCS.. and when the Rangers got KO'd by the Devils.

Gotta love this guys heart, it's heartbreaking to see this:

henrik-lundqvist1.png

He gave this team and city everything he had to give. They all did. Gonna be a long time before we get this close again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad