GDT: WhaleCanes @ Bruins: AKA Whale v.s. Bear

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I assume he will be in Hershey, PA.

I also assume this is an invitation to go watch the game at his place, because he can't be so dick as to booze y'all up with the pre-game keg and then when the game is starting to throw you out of his yard to go and find a Hershey, PA television set that's showing CAN-NSH.

When somebody understands something when it's not their first language -- or even second -- that others miss.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I assume he will be in Hershey, PA.

I also assume this is an invitation to go watch the game at his place, because he can't be so dick as to booze y'all up with the pre-game keg and then when the game is starting to throw you out of his yard to go and find a Hershey, PA television set that's showing CAN-NSH.

When somebody understands something when it's not their first language -- or even second -- that others miss.

Wait, what?....there's a TV station that televises our tailgating? Man, my cable provider sucks.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Sucks for MoJo

Unfortunate but this hit is a good example of why GMs were asking Waddell for Ferland up to TDL day. Ferland plays so aggresively that the mismatch of his intensity versus opponents results in clean hits so hard that they injure.

His downfall might be that he won't back down from a fight. I'm not sure you can take that out and still expect him to crushinate as he does.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Nope, not a joke. He's pretty bad at playmaking.
He makes a lot of errant passes to no one sometimes but he's still a pretty good playmaker. Just the other night I remember him making a great saucer pass but McGinn whiffed on it, and that wasn't some isolated incident. He's been making a lot of great plays that more talented linemates would have converted on.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Sweet Jesus looks like I struck a nerve in the Jack Edwards thread. They must love that guy on here or something. No sense of humor.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
He makes a lot of errant passes to no one sometimes but he's still a pretty good playmaker. Just the other night I remember him making a great saucer pass but McGinn whiffed on it, and that wasn't some isolated incident. He's been making a lot of great plays that more talented linemates would have converted on.

I dunno... I see it the opposite way. He makes 9 errant passes, and then by a lucky chance makes a one good one.
I might be asking too much, from a rookie but he's no.2 overall, best forward in the draft who was expected to be a major contender for the Calder Trophy. He's been struggling in NHL his first year.

He doesn't get more talented linemates, because he would drag them down instead of getting better himself. Brindy tried to put him on the line with Aho for couple of games. Svech was in first PP unit and wasn't any good either.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I dunno... I see it the opposite way. He makes 9 errant passes, and then by a lucky chance makes a one good one.
I might be asking too much, from a rookie but he's no.2 overall, best forward in the draft who was expected to be a major contender for the Calder Trophy. He's been struggling in NHL his first year.

He doesn't get more talented linemates, because he would drag them down instead of getting better himself. Brindy tried to put him on the line with Aho for couple of games. Svech was in first PP unit and wasn't any good either.

Nah tho

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Sweet Jesus looks like I struck a nerve in the Jack Edwards thread. They must love that guy on here or something. No sense of humor.

If you took a poll, I think you'd most people dislike Jack Edwards, the only people that are going to say anything about him are the ones inclined to storm to defense of anything about their team

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018

Then trade him if he is so bad.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Seems a little harsh to be honest. He might not be great already and still has lots to work on but he has already had a few stretches of games where he has been one of the best players on the ice, creating chances seemingly one after another. I don't think there's any debate he would have better numbers if his most common linemates weren't Martinook, Wallmark and McGinn and he played with some offensive talent. He still is only 18 years old and his all around game is quite good compared to former teenagers who played for the Canes. Also I'm not going to hold his play on the PP against him since the PP is pretty garbage more often than not regardless of the players being used. He could cut down on some of panicked, errant passes and stick penalties but I'm not sure what else you would be expecting given how he's deployed.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Seems a little harsh to be honest. He might not be great already and still has lots to work on but he has already had a few stretches of games where he has been one of the best players on the ice, creating chances seemingly one after another. I don't think there's any debate he would have better numbers if his most common linemates weren't Martinook, Wallmark and McGinn and he played with some offensive talent. He still is only 18 years old and his all around game is quite good compared to former teenagers who played for the Canes. Also I'm not going to hold his play on the PP against him since the PP is pretty garbage more often than not regardless of the players being used. He could cut down on some of panicked, errant passes and stick penalties but I'm not sure what else you would be expecting given how he's deployed.
He's done a fantastic job of cutting out the stick penalties, I think. It used to be almost every game, much less frequent now

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Not only have his stick infractions lessened, but I have noticed some solid defensive shifts the last month. Every part of Svechnikov's game is a work-in-progress. I still think he might have a 5-7 game stretch where everything clicks and he puts up 4 goals and 5 assists.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
dmonk is if I recall a truly old school poster, from maybe 10 years ago. Welcome back, unless I’ve simply missed some of your posts.

Reactions: dmonk

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
dmonk is if I recall a truly old school poster, from maybe 10 years ago. Welcome back, unless I’ve simply missed some of your posts.
Yeah.... it's been a while. My avatar speaks for itself. I'm lurking here often, but don't post much. With all of the misery of the last 10 years, there wasn't much to be excited about.
I actually have a good feeling about this year, but if anything Canes taught us not to keep our feelings too high.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Not only have his stick infractions lessened, but I have noticed some solid defensive shifts the last month. Every part of Svechnikov's game is a work-in-progress. I still think he might have a 5-7 game stretch where everything clicks and he puts up 4 goals and 5 assists.

I agree with this post. He is a work in progress. I've been waiting for that stretch, but I reckon it's more likely to happen next year. It'd be nice if he elevated his game come playoff time.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Svech has good vision and skill for in tight passes with guys cries crossing, especially coming out behind the net off of a cycle. Guys miss the finish mostly because they had no idea the puck was coming. I think that’s his jam, cycling and creating in tight spaces as he’s not the fastest skater and he doesn’t have a toolbox full of dazzling moves. He’s a power guy. He tries to turn the corner on d and drive the net, and has a wicked shot if he can get it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad