GDT: WhaleCanes @ Bruins: AKA Whale v.s. Bear

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Since just before the start of the new year, the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes have been two of the hottest teams in the NHL.

Riding an impressive 16-game point streak, the Bruins (39-17-9, 87 points) look to keep the visiting Hurricanes (36-23-6, 78 points) from extending their winning stretch to a season-high six games Tuesday night.

According to NHL.com, since Dec. 29, Boston and Carolina have each recorded 43 points. Only league-leading Tampa Bay has posted more (44) during that span.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually flew home to CT for the game. My nephew always hated the fact he missed the Whalers (he was 3-4 when they left) as he’s a pretty avid fan of all sports and when he heard this was happening he flipped.

Taking he and my Dad up to Boston, I’ll be wearing green to a game there for the first time in my life. My Dad and I went together to second to last home Whalers game against Buffalo, the one the Primeau brothers fought in.

I went to the last one by myself. :puppy:

I’ve been filling them in on the season. Please don’t make me look dumb being optimistic about you this season Canes, not in front of my Dad.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
‘What I’m Watching’ — Gm66 @Bos: Tough stretch of March schedule

by Matt Karash | Mar 5, 2019 | Morning Skate
As much fun as the ending and related highlights were for Saturday’s win, the game in total was an absolute clunker and will not be good enough against the Bruins. The Canes scored two quick goals against a first-time NHL goalie and then struggled mightily for the rest of the game before overtime heroics by Petr Mrazek and Sebastian Aho pulled out an undeserved win. The team loosed gassed. Hopefully two days off will right the ship. On Tuesday, I will be watching to see if the Hurricanes can find their pace early and equally importantly if the team can clean up the sloppy play with the puck in the defensive and neutral zones.
The Bruins have allowed only a single goal in their past four games and are second in the NHL right now in goals against. The Hurricanes will need a committed effort to score tonight and must do the hard work to get pucks and players to the scoring areas in front of the net. The blue line has been a difference-maker offensively of late. Tonight would be a great night for former Bruin Dougie Hamilton to find a couple soft spots in the defense and a goal or for Faulk to label another wrister for a corner of the net.
Against a good team on the road, a plus or minus on special teams can often be the difference. The Bruins enter the game second in the league on the power play and 11th on the penalty kill. The Canes have been more up and down and a mixed bag on special teams. On Tuesday, I will be watching to see if the Hurricanes can get their skating legs going such that they are more likely to draw penalties (after none drawn with Saturday’s sluggish effort). And I will be watching to see which team gets the upper hand on special teams.
‘What I’m Watching’ — Gm66 @Bos: Tough stretch of March schedule starts in Boston | Canes & Coffee

Dark Ambient

Darkness descends
Feb 4, 2018
Finland
There are two things that will mostly decide the outcome of this game.
1 - Boston's willingness to stay ahead of Toronto
2 - Carolina's desperation to make the playoffs.

Both Boston and Toronto are firmly in the top 3 in the Atlantic division. No hope of catching Tampa, and Montreal is 9 points from 3rd place.
Carolina, on the other hand, can't stop to take a breather. Not only is it close in the Metro, but now we have Philly winning games.
Look at the standings. Look where Philly is. There are still 16-ish games left.

In the Metro, the playoffs have already started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad