Salary Cap: Wet Hot Canadian Sutter (Is No More)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I don't really see any reason to keep Bennett around. Hornqvist and Kessel will be around a while, Perron might be also. Bonino might be moved to the LW for the top 6. There's no room for Bennett even if he does pan out.

I agree with your view but Bonino has gone on record saying that he feels much more comfortable playing center and sees himself thriving as their 3rd line centerman.

Plots, Kunitz and Fehr can always step into the 2nd line LW if need be...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't really see any reason to keep Bennett around. Hornqvist and Kessel will be around a while, Perron might be also. Bonino might be moved to the LW for the top 6. There's no room for Bennett even if he does pan out.

He could still be an effective 3rd liner in that case. And it's no lock that perron re-signs here or that bonino plays wing or even is a better wing than bb.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That's the kind of hit the bong thinking that lead to the Despres trade. There is always room for a skilled player that pans out.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If anything, I think there's more reason to keep Bennett now. If he doesn't work, you have depth for days. If he does work, you have a trade chip (either him or someone else)

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I definitely want to keep Bennett. Let's just hope he can stay healthy. Like Jiggy is saying there is a top 6 LW spot that he can earn if he works for it. Sutter is gone so MJ won't have a pre season bias on his pairs from last year.

BB Sid Kessel

Perron Geno Horny

Kuni Bonino Dupuis

Plots Sundqvist WBS Promotion

These lines are subject to change once Fehr is healthy

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I definitely want to keep Bennett. Let's just hope he can stay healthy. Like Jiggy is saying there is a top 6 LW spot that he can earn if he works for it. Sutter is gone so MJ won't have a pre season bias on his pairs from last year.

BB Sid Kessel

Perron Geno Horny

Kuni Bonino Dupuis

Plots Sundqvist WBS Promotion

These lines are subject to change once Fehr is healthy

BB was thrown onto RW by DB and various parts of last season. He has known for well over a month that Kessel and Horqnqvist are their top two RW and they aren't moving (only a moron would move them).

Those two have proven themselves and excelled at RW, so that's just the breaks for BB. Knowledge is power and he has had ample time to work on his weaknesses playing the off wing this entire summer.

It's not like Sutter is around anymore for MJ to use as an excuse to keep that pair together. He has to beat out an unknown playing in NA for the first time, a 36 year old winger who has his best days behind him, and maybe Bonino, who even his biggest fans say is a third liner.

He has the top end skill and chemistry with Malkin to cement himself into that LW position if he wants it badly enough. There is a door wide open there for him and if he doesn't seize it, he will only have himself to blame IMHO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The reason is he is cheap and skilled. If he can switch to LW and continue to develop, you have a top 6 winger for under 2MM.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
"I'm not sure the Pens are better this year than last year"

- general boards, proving once again that people should have to pass an iq test to log on

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The reason is he is cheap and skilled. If he can switch to LW and continue to develop, you have a top 6 winger for under 2MM.

Assuming we re-sign Perron and one of Plotnikov or Bonino become a top 6 wing, I just don't see room for Bennett. He's not really ideal for a 3rd line. I'm not saying trade him immediately.. but eventually.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Now that our forward group as a whole received a huge face lift. What are our remaining needs to be addressed before the season starts and at the deadline? If so what players would you like to see us target? Thanks guys this has been one hell of an awesome ride with JR this summer:)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If anything, I think there's more reason to keep Bennett now. If he doesn't work, you have depth for days. If he does work, you have a trade chip (either him or someone else)

For sure. Plus, you now have an actual skilled scoring 4th line if you want with Kunitz or a kid if he is moved - Bonino-Bennett

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Assuming we re-sign Perron and one of Plotnikov or Bonino become a top 6 wing, I just don't see room for Bennett. He's not really ideal for a 3rd line. I'm not saying trade him immediately.. but eventually.

You are making too many assumptions. Perron could struggle or do really well and want too much dough. Plots could suck. The safe bet is that Bonino will be a center here. That's too many question marks to say Bennett doesn't have a spot here.

Also, why can't 3rd lines have skilled playmaking wingers? What about 4th lines? If BB does pan out, you keep him until you can't afford him.

It sounded like you were saying trade him now, so nevermind I guess.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's also the small matter of our team getting a billion injuries every year which sort of renders depth charts nice but ultimately useless. Maybe this is the season Bennett isn't one of those walking dead and can step up in someone else's absence.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Now that our forward group as a whole received a huge face lift. What are our remaining needs to be addressed before the season starts and at the deadline? If so what players would you like to see us target? Thanks guys this has been one hell of an awesome ride with JR this summer:)

The only real need is a solid top 4 defender, but that's going to be hard to find and quite expensive. I suppose I could see a deadline move for Hamhuis. The other concerns are speed among the forward group and possibly grit or snarl. Those aren't likely to be addressed and I'm not too concerned since we should have the puck most of the game.

Back up goalie is another potential concern, but not one worth spending money on.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The team could be bad, IC, if MJ ruins the line up badly. He has a ton to work with but we've seen stacked line ups ruined by head coaches before.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team could be bad, IC, if MJ ruins the line up badly. He has a ton to work with but we've seen stacked line ups ruined by head coaches before.

I don't know. I mean even if you make the most nonsensical line choices, there are still too many skilled forwards to have them be bad. You have the following guys that could be top 6 players, at least in a pinch, and actually produce:

Sid, Geno, Kessel, Hornqvist, Perron, Plots, Bennett, Bonino, Kunitz, Dupuis, Fehr.

Let's say these are the lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plots-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bonino-Fehr-Dupuis
Wilson-Sundqvist-Perron
Bennett

That's obviously not the way any of us would write up the lines, but they still look like a pretty big upgrade from the past few years. This forward roster is pretty close to idiot proof.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Why isn't he good for a 3rd line? We have wanted more talent in our bottom 6 for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad