Speculation: Werenski to Detroit, One Way or Another?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So basically the only way ZW becomes a Wing is if he decides to only go their as a FA because you have nothing left to offer up in a trade. HAVE A GOOD WAIT.
HaHa first off it's there not their, And secondly it's ZWs choice. And from what Kyper has heard from people in the know is that ZW plans on coming home to Detroit either in a trade or free agency.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Montreal fan whose first language is probably French used the wrong form of, "Their", and two of you are already condescendingly pointing it out.

Embarrassing, honestly.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If this is the best argument you can come up with Boston is going to be walking into that offseason with a ton of cap space and a deeper roster.

This doesn’t even top what the panthers currently roll out. The first hurdle any team will have to jump to get Barkov is to be more attractive than the panthers. Unless something massive changes in a very short time, the wings won’t be able to cross that hurdle. Barkov to the wings is a pipe dream.
Let's be realistic here... You really don't think Mantha or Bertuzzi outperform Verhaghe on a line with Barkov under Q's system? Lol.

Fair point on Lundell. I'll take Raymond over Lundell though, and Zadina over Tippett/Denisenko.
If Barkov chose to go UFA the rangers basically give him 12 a year and become like the redwings of old hopefully.
Lafreniere- Barkov- Kravstov
Panarin- Chytil -kakko
Kreider- Barron- Buchnevich or trade
Who cares
lindgren-Fox
Miller-trouba
Robertson- lundkvist/schneider
shesty

dynasty

I think trouba will want to either play for FLA or Detroit before his deal is over. That’s just my own opinion

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Barkov chose to go UFA the rangers basically give him 12 a year and become like the redwings of old hopefully.
Lafreniere- Barkov- Kravstov
Panarin- Chytil -kakko
Kreider- Barron- Buchnevich or trade
Who cares
lindgren-Fox
Miller-trouba
Robertson- lundkvist/schneider
shesty

dynasty

I'm curious... Once you've paid $40M to Barkov/Panarin/Trouba/Kreider, will Lafreniere/Fox/Kakko/Miller then be paid in Monopoly money, or Disney Dollars?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Meh, NYR paid a pretty minimal price for Trouba.

But his idea that Detroit wouldn't let go of Berggren or Veleno to get Werenski is pretty laughable, yeah.
In an actual hockey trade, sure. But if we're 90%++ confident he's coming here in UFA, then heck no we shouldn't pay Veleno/Berggren. & certainly not Seider/Raymond as someone previously proposed...now that is truly laughable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Slightly off-topic: wanted to offer a quick apology for how heated things got last night. I still think Kypreos can f*** right off, but the debate about same went far beyond what it should have - normally I would know better, but, well, stress.

On topic: if he goes there, it's probably not via trade. We'd still insist on a #1C.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
So obviously as a Wings fan and a UM guy, I love the notion of Werenski hitting UFA early and joining the Wings for free. Like of course that idea appeals to me.

At the same time, I definitely empathize with Columbus fans who are constantly shoo-ing off the vultures coming for their players. I've been there, not so much with the Wings but with another teams I support, it's a shitty feeling.

Ultimately, I feel like you've just got to wait and see what Werenski and his agent do next year. I wouldn't blink if he signs a long extension in Columbus. Frankly, that's usually how these stories end. But if he's posturing towards a qualifying offer or arbitration, that's probably a red flag about his willingness to stay in Columbus long term. Until we see anything concrete from Werenski or his agent, any speculation is, really, just that.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I’d personally just wait. If Detroit is where he actually wants to be, I don’t see what trading for him accomplishes, unless it’s a very low price - just let him hit UFA and sign him then.

the Wings need to build through the draft, Werenski is a luxury we dont need to be selling the farm to get

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm curious... Once you've paid $40M to Barkov/Panarin/Trouba/Kreider, will Lafreniere/Fox/Kakko/Miller then be paid in Monopoly money, or Disney Dollars?
Rangers have 35 mill off the books this year. More then likely if Barkov wanted NY they would cut ties Zibby. Most of their team will be on ELC s or 2nd deals an can easily be bridged. Kakko and LaF shouldn’t break the bank because they didn’t start out like being shot out of a cannon. Fox is the only other guy I can see them locking up long term for major dollars. If the rangers want Barkov and he wants the rangers, they’ll find a way. They always get their man when they set their sights on him 99% of the time. I think Detroit’s best shot would be to acquire his best friend Laine some how. I doubt he signs long term with jackets. That might temp him to leave FLA. but with the panthers playing well he might choose to stay down there.well find out early next year, I don’t see the panthers waiting long to lock him up if he wants to stay. If he doesn’t resign early I think there’s a chance he can leave

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would make sense from CBJs pov if its for help up front. Werenski for Larkin type deal.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Rangers have 35 mill off the books this year. More then likely if Barkov wanted NY they would cut ties Zibby. Most of their team will be on ELC s or 2nd deals an can easily be bridged. Kakko and LaF shouldn’t break the bank because they didn’t start out like being shot out of a cannon. Fox is the only other guy I can see them locking up long term for major dollars. If the rangers want Barkov and he wants the rangers, they’ll find a way. They always get their man when they set their sights on him 99% of the time. I think Detroit’s best shot would be to acquire his best friend Laine some how. I doubt he signs long term with jackets. That might temp him to leave FLA. but with the panthers playing well he might choose to stay down there.well find out early next year, I don’t see the panthers waiting long to lock him up if he wants to stay. If he doesn’t resign early I think there’s a chance he can leave

This ain't that difficult to understand. If you throw $12M at Barkov in the flat cap era, you're royally f***ed when those big name RFAs come up. Fox ain't gonna be cheap and unless Lafreniere is mediocre over the next two years, he wont be either.

And I completely forgot about Shesterkin. :laugh: It ain't happening.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This ain't that difficult to understand. If you throw $12M at Barkov in the flat cap era, you're royally f***ed when those big name RFAs come up. Fox ain't gonna be cheap and unless Lafreniere is mediocre over the next two years, he wont be either.

And I completely forgot about Shesterkin. :laugh: It ain't happening.
They buyout of DeAngelo and the Zibby contract cover 85% of the deal. Shesty will get around 5 million. Like I said Barkov wouldn’t be available for 2 years. Trouba’s NMC is over in 3 and kreider the following year. I know a lot of people think the rangers are in a cap crunch but it’s just not so. What they don’t have is a long term 1 C. They would 100% make that a priority

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They buyout of DeAngelo and the Zibby contract cover 85% of the deal. Shesty will get around 5 million. Like I said Barkov wouldn’t be available for 2 years. Trouba’s NMC is over in 3 and kreider the following year. I know a lot of people think the rangers are in a cap crunch but it’s just not so. What they don’t have is a long term 1 C. They would 100% make that a priority

So, just so we're clear here...

Barkov $12M
Panarin $11.6M
Trouba $8M
Kreider $6.5M
Shesterkin $5M

Fox anywhere from $6M - $9M based on term.
Lafreniere, unless he sucks over the next two years, goes $6M - $9M based on term.

So anywhere from $55M - $61M tied up in 7 players. Yeah. That'll work.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So, just so we're clear here...

Barkov $12M
Panarin $11.6M
Trouba $8M
Kreider $6.5M
Shesterkin $5M

Fox anywhere from $6M - $9M based on term.
Lafreniere, unless he sucks over the next two years, goes $6M - $9M based on term.

So anywhere from $55M - $61M tied up in 7 players. Yeah. That'll work.
Like I said, if they sign Barkov expect trouba and or kreider to be traded before the end of their deals. The leafs manage to field a competitive team with many similar contracts. as well as the Lightning. LaF kakko will be 2nd deals. Most guys will have bridge deals as their 2nd deals. Fox may see a 8yr 8 mill deal. We don’t know how much the cap will go up after this flat cap period. I’m fully confident if rangers want Barkov and he wants the rangers it will be done

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Like I said, if they sign Barkov expect trouba and or kreider to be traded before the end of their deals. The leafs manage to field a competitive team with many similar contracts. as well as the Lightning. LaF kakko will be 2nd deals. Most guys will have bridge deals as their 2nd deals. Fox may see a 8yr 8 mill deal. We don’t know how much the cap will go up after this flat cap period. I’m fully confident if rangers want Barkov and he wants the rangers it will be done

Trouba's 15 team list doesn't kick in until two years after Barkov goes UFA. Yes, Laf will be a 2nd deal, and as we know, high profile wingers don't make much on their 2nd deal. Like Marner, Rantanen, Laine, Nylander, Boeser, Tkachuk, etc.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trouba's 15 team list doesn't kick in until two years after Barkov goes UFA. Yes, Laf will be a 2nd deal, and as we know, high profile wingers don't make much on their 2nd deal. Like Marner, Rantanen, Laine, Nylander, Boeser, Tkachuk, etc.

Mathews 11.6
Tavares. 11
Marner 10.9
Nylander 6.9
Reilly 5
Muzzin 5
Andersson 5

just these guys are 55-56 mill. Yet it magically works. Rangers prospect stable is very deep. Especially on the back end. Shesty will get something comparable to Demko. I don’t know why it’s that hard to understand? Like I said trouba and kreider become movable towards the end of their current deals. Where there’s a will there’s always a way

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mathews 11.6
Tavares. 11
Marner 10.9
Nylander 6.9
Reilly 5
Muzzin 5
Andersson 5

just these guys are 55-56 mill. Yet it magically works. Rangers prospect stable is very deep. Especially on the back end. Shesty will get something comparable to Demko. I don’t know why it’s that hard to understand? Like I said trouba and kreider become movable towards the end of their current deals. Where there’s a will there’s always a way

Following the blueprint of a team that can't get out of the first round is an interesting approach...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Following the blueprint of a team that can't get out of the first round is an interesting approach...
That’s because the leafs didn’t spend their cash on a Norris D, good goaltending, and have a ton of home grown prospects that can replenish the ranks coming off a major rebuild. Rangers are ripe for this type of acquisition. The have a top 5 prospect stable. That also doesn’t take into account how much the cap will increase in year 4. I can outline how Tampa build their team, the cup champs if you prefer that. It’s very similar. But they used a lot of their cash on Hedman and Vasilevskly

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I’d personally just wait. If Detroit is where he actually wants to be, I don’t see what trading for him accomplishes, unless it’s a very low price - just let him hit UFA and sign him then.

the Wings need to build through the draft, Werenski is a luxury we dont need to be selling the farm to get
It is understandable the Wings fans want it all now. But if you trust in Yzer hes going to build a Cup winning team. He is that good.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That’s because the leafs didn’t spend their cash on a Norris D, good goaltending, and have a ton of home grown prospects that can replenish the ranks coming off a major rebuild. Rangers are ripe for this type of acquisition. The have a top 5 prospect stable. That also doesn’t take into account how much the cap will increase in year 4.

Uhh, first off Rielly was Top 5 in Norris voting two years ago.

Secondly, the Rangers had a top five prospect pool. Not so much now that Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin are all graduated.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Uhh, first off Rielly was Top 5 in Norris voting two years ago.

Secondly, the Rangers had a top five prospect pool. Not so much now that Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin are all graduated.[/QUOTE

Reilly sucks defensively. Even with the recent graduations, the amount of impact prospects they have is substantial. Lundkvist, Schneider , Jones, Robertson, Barron etc are all for sure NHL player. Then they have younger guys like Berard, cullye who are very young and too early to call. As well as this years 1st which will likely be top 10 again. What they do lack is centers. Hence why they would splurge on Barkov

ated.[/QUOTE

Reilly sucks defensively. Even with the recent graduations, the amount of impact prospects they have is substantial. Lundkvist, Schneider , Jones, Robertson, Barron etc are all for sure NHL players. Then they have younger guys like Berard, cullye who are very young and too early to call. As well as this years 1st which will likely be top 10 again. What they do lack is centers. Hence why they would splurge on Barkov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad