Speculation: Werenski to Detroit, One Way or Another?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Starts around the 56:00 mark.

"All I've heard for the last few days is Werenski's goal is to go back to Michigan. Someone told me, 'Mark my words, that guy is going to be a Red Wing."

This has been loosely thrown around for awhile now, considering Larkin and Werenski are best friends, but it's more interesting to hear from Kyper. Whether you think it's legit or not, this kind of chatter is probably going to be going on now until Werenski is either traded or locks in a long term deal.

Let the speculating begin.

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Well he signed a 2nd contract that seemed designed to get him to UFA ASAP. Presumably Jarmo wouldn't go 4 year term.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well he signed a 2nd contract that seemed designed to get him to UFA ASAP. Presumably Jarmo wouldn't go 4 year term.

Jarmo seems like the type of aggressive GM who'd trade him sooner than later if his next negotiations lead to him wanting a UFA immediately deal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You'd need to get Seider in the deal.

Losing Werenski for spare parts would cripple CBJ.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I think there's very few scenarios where Yzerman would trade Seider, and I'm guessing that doing it for a guy who may very well want to come here as soon as he's UFA is probably not high on the list.

But I do wonder, considering the outlook of this year's draft, if he wouldn't consider a package centered around Detroit's 2021 1st. That being said, if this ever happens, I don't think it happens that quickly.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Starts around the 56:00 mark.

"All I've heard for the last few days is Werenski's goal is to go back to Michigan. Someone told me, 'Mark my words, that guy is going to be a Red Wing."

This has been loosely thrown around for awhile now, considering Larkin and Werenski are best friends, but it's more interesting to hear from Kyper. Whether you think it's legit or not, this kind of chatter is probably going to be going on now until Werenski is either traded or locks in a long term deal.

Let the speculating begin.

Didn't these best friends fight in front of their families?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Seider, Hronek, Zadina, Raymond, & to a lesser degree Berggren & Veleno are staying. If ZW wants to be a Red Wing (we've heard this for ~5yrs now), he will be. He can go to UFA, refuse to sign any offers from the acquiring team. All of this lowers Jarmo's asking price also, as teams don't want to pay a lot in a trade for ~1-2yrs of ZW, just to watch him bolt. 99% sure he's on the Red Wings 2023.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think there's very few scenarios where Yzerman would trade Seider, and I'm guessing that doing it for a guy who may very well want to come here as soon as he's UFA is probably not high on the list.

But I do wonder, considering the outlook of this year's draft, if he wouldn't consider a package centered around Detroit's 2021 1st. That being said, if this ever happens, I don't think it happens that quickly.

I'm just thinking they need to get key building blocks back if you're CBJ.

You gave up a centre in Dubois and got Laine, a winger back.

If you trade Werenski, you can't take back Mantha or Berutzzi, older and wingers. Rasmussen doesn't look like anything.

Could Detroit afford to part with 2 1sts? 21 and 22?

I'm just trying to put myself in Jarmo's shoes, if there was even a possibility of Werenski leaving, I am trying to get back the best C/D I can get

Reactions: Perennial

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Didn't these best friends fight in front of their families?

Isn't the only reason Werenski's parents were there because Larkin gave them his tickets?

Moreover, Werenski was laughing as the fight happened, and Larkin commented after, "Not our first fight." So, weird event to use trying to dismiss the possibility.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Seider, Hronek, Zadina, Raymond, & to a lesser degree Berggren & Veleno are staying. If ZW wants to be a Red Wing (we've heard this for ~5yrs now), he will be. He can go to UFA, refuse to sign any offers from the acquiring team. All of this lowers Jarmo's asking price also, as teams don't want to pay a lot in a trade for ~1-2yrs of ZW, just to watch him bolt. 99% sure he's on the Red Wings 2023.

Werenski is still an RFA when his current contract expires. So he won’t be signing anywhere in 2023.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Center, top line center. Nothing else is of any interest no matter how good. Someone that can play with Laine and be good enough to be a top line on a contender for a cup. No 70pt centers with good D and intangibles. A BONAFIDE, 100% without a doubt, I did a poll; #1 CENTER.

And he's still a RFA after his current deal. Jarmo seems to setup everyone's contract to be re-signed after next year. CBJ is going to have roughly 60m in cap space when Z and all the others players that other team's fans are hoping/begging to be traded for pennies on the dollar.

Jones is the only one that CAN walk. Werenski, Laine are RFAs after their current deals.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Isn't the only reason Werenski's parents were there because Larkin gave them his tickets?

Moreover, Werenski was laughing as the fight happened, and Larkin commented after, "Not our first fight." So, weird event to use trying to dismiss the possibility.

Just asking a question. I couldn't remember who the players were.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Let's be realistic. Detroit would give up Berggren or Veleno in a heartbeat for Werenski.

My apologies. I'm used to this board being full of sarcasm and snippiness. (Of which I'm not innocent of obviously :laugh:)

Reactions: Oddbob and CupInSIX

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Center, top line center. Nothing else is of any interest no matter how good. Someone that can play with Laine and be good enough to be a top line on a contender for a cup. No 70pt centers with good D and intangibles. A BONAFIDE, 100% without a doubt, I did a poll; #1 CENTER.

And he's still a RFA after his current deal. Jarmo seems to setup everyone's contract to be re-signed after next year. CBJ is going to have roughly 60m in cap space when Z and all the others players that other team's fans are hoping/begging to be traded for pennies on the dollar.

Jones is the only one that CAN walk. Werenski, Laine are RFAs after their current deals.

Honestly, if Jarmo ends up having to shop Werenski, and your expectation is something better than a two way, 70 point center, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Honestly, if Jarmo ends up having to shop Werenski, and your expectation is something better than a two way, 70 point center, you're probably gonna have a bad time.
We can add...so you are giving up Larkin then?

I really don't want to go down this rabbit hole.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Larkin for Werenski would be quite the plot twist LOL.

It's not gonna happen, but even if it did, it'd be kinda foolish for Columbus to do, considering Larkin is UFA in 2023 and would have even more reason to run back to Detroit.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Maybe something like Werenski for Hronek, a solid prospect and a 2nd?

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Interesting is one way to put it.

At least you got the "never going to happen part" right IMO

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

I mean the only way he ends up in Detroit is if he picks a single destination Trouba style, so I'd imagine the return would be similar.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a long wait for Wings fans and frankly I feel for Jackets fans, who have had enough Star players treat them wrong. While I do believe it will happen on some level from a bunch of grumbling around the off-season guys, U of M guys and whatnot. Yzerman does have his work cut out for him here. Larkin and Werenski's dream isn't to play on a terrible Red Wings team that has been losing for a decade. He is going to have to start improving the squad to lure players like that and frankly even as much as we all love Detroit's son in Larkin keep him around too with how competitive he is.

Wish Werenski the best with his surgery recovery. Sports Hernia's are no joke, have ruined plenty of guys so that is my thought first and foremost. I would love to see him in a Winged Wheel but we have a few years to wait, we need to focus on making it a more attractive team in the meantime, Werenski isn't signing up to finish dead last even if he loves home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad