Post-Game Talk: We're Number 6 - Jets win 4-3 SO

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What makes me think it's easier when the pressure is off? I don't know...50 years of life? I've experienced it myself. It's much easier to do stuff when there's no pressure. Imagine trying to diffuse a bomb that you know is live compared to trying to diffuse one that you know is a dud.

I can easily see players playing a different way when they know they aren't being held to the same degree of accountability for things they do. When they can more or less just go out and play and be loose and try stuff. I don't know...just seems perfectly obvious to me. Its not at all uncommon for bad teams to start winning games once they are officially eliminated...seems to happen every season.

For some of these young players, this may have been the most pressure they've felt in their wholelife. They were playing for jobs next year. They were playing in the best league in the world for the first time. It's really only the veterans who have anything to compare it to. And those veterans are slowly becoming a smaller part of this team as time goes by.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
So tell me: if you were Maurice or Chevy, what would you have done to stifle the Jets ability to win games, beyond what Chevy did?

I know you didn't quote me YWG, but he/she quoted me so I'll butt in and respond anyway. :p:

I don't blame anyone for this. It's not about placing blame but it's a reality nonetheless. The one thing that I find annoying is that the players seemed to care more at the end of the season when it didn't matter. They played harder/smarter IMO. I don't blame them for playing hard at the end, but I do wonder WTF happened in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. For me, that's where the frustration lies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
F the tank. Im glad we won. Its good to carry some success forward into next year from a terribly disappointing season

I don't believe it does anything in the long run for the players or coaching staff. It might put a positive feeling on it for the fans though.

JMO, but the team that starts next season will not be the team that went on this 4 game winning streak. We had 4 regulars out of the lineup who are all going to take spots back from the players that filled in for them. We don't know how the draft or the summer will go. These last games helped to evaluate individuals, but not the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What makes me think it's easier when the pressure is off? I don't know...50 years of life? I've experienced it myself. It's much easier to do stuff when there's no pressure. Imagine trying to diffuse a bomb that you know is live compared to trying to diffuse one that you know is a dud.

I can easily see players playing a different way when they know they aren't being held to the same degree of accountability for things they do. When they can more or less just go out and play and be loose and try stuff. I don't know...just seems perfectly obvious to me. Its not at all uncommon for bad teams to start winning games once they are officially eliminated...seems to happen every season.

Didn't seem to happen as much for the 5 teams below the Jets in the standings. I watched the Flames' game yesterday. They won, but they looked absolutely dreadful. That looks like a pretty weak team. Same with the Canucks, who have won a few on great goaltending.

I get the point about pressure, but I don't think we were only seeing that. This is not the same team that we saw earlier in the season. ESW was a new thing, and they basically dragged this team to those victories with stellar play. Those three don't seem to be the types that only perform when the pressure is off.

I think the goalies might have played better with the pressure off.

The Jets forward line-up was faster and more skilled top to bottom than it has been in some time, even without Little and Perreault.

I agree we shouldn't put too much stock into the late season success, but the way they played and how their young players performed was very encouraging.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

How do you know how much pressure they feel -- perhaps they feel pressure to win some for their great fans, not realizing that their fans apparently want them to lose.

Did other eliminated teams also have their top line play at this level after elimination?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know you didn't quote me YWG, but he/she quoted me so I'll butt in and respond anyway. :p:

I don't blame anyone for this. It's not about placing blame but it's a reality nonetheless. The one thing that I find annoying is that the players seemed to care more at the end of the season when it didn't matter. They played harder/smarter IMO. I don't blame them for playing hard at the end, but I do wonder WTF happened in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. For me, that's where the frustration lies.

Maybe having a moping captain and uncertainty about whether Buff was going to stay had a lot to do with that. I think that once they traded Ladd and re-signed Buff there was a bit of a reset. It took the team a bit of time, but Buff became a monster, Wheeler and Scheifele took over the team, and the new young players saw that this was a team with some opportunities but a lot of competition. When good players are competing for jobs, you get good performances. There were a lot of hungry players at the end of the year. There weren't nearly so many earlier in the year.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
The Jets have a very high likelihood of having a choice among this group:

Tkachuk, Juolevi, Chychrun, PLD. Those are all very good prospects, and two of them fill the Jets most pressing organizational need (LHD).

So yours is a top 7 that includes Juolevi, and that's fine. What if we pick 8+ (the odds of which went from 3.7% to 19.6%) and your top 7 are gone? Disappointed then or still indifferent? :laugh:

Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious.

Edit: I get the positive spin and that's cool.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I definitely understand being annoyed with the results at the end of the day. I was personally hoping for well played and entertaining games, that resulted in losses. It didn't happen, so for me: c'est la vie.

I think I'm with Whileee - the goalies ended up playing better than I expected, and their play helped the team chock up more wins than you'd expect a very young line-up like this to be able to.

I don't put any stock into them playing "better" when it didn't count. The line-up was quite different back then, and at the end of the season it was loaded down with rookies auditioning for next year. While the tank results are disappointing for me, the play of the rookies and ESW leaves me hopeful for different results next year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would be nice if the play of our prospects and team in general would play when it actually means something. Sure, win when there's no pressure or expectations and revert back to the norm in the fall.

Prospects take a bit of time to grow their game because, well: they're prospects.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So yours is a top 7 that includes Juolevi, and that's fine. What if we pick 8+ (the odds of which went from 3.7% to 19.6%) and your top 7 are gone? Disappointed then or still indifferent? :laugh:

Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious.

I'm disappointed in general, because I would have liked the highest seed possible. But I think I might be over-reacting. We still have a higher chance of a top-3 than 8+. :)

I also really like Sergachyev. A team that wants a forward might really like Nylander in the top 7. I think this draft goes 8-9 deep.

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
PLD/Juolevi/Tkachuk/Chychrun/Sergachyev/Nylander

Chevy has the assets to maneuver in that cluster of 4-9, if there's a player he really likes.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I definitely understand being annoyed with the results at the end of the day. I was personally hoping for well played and entertaining games, that resulted in losses. It didn't happen, so for me: c'est la vie.

I think I'm with Whileee - the goalies ended up playing better than I expected, and their play helped the team chock up more wins than you'd expect a very young line-up like this to be able to.

I don't put any stock into them playing "better" when it didn't count. The line-up was quite different back then, and at the end of the season it was loaded down with rookies auditioning for next year. While the tank results are disappointing for me, the play of the rookies and ESW leaves me hopeful for different results next year.

We're on the same page. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I was hoping for a SOL last night. Who would bet on Pavs over Quick in a shoot-out. I guess I'm used to LLW for the shoot-out, and Scheifele is hot as a pistol right now.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'm disappointed in general, because I would have liked the highest seed possible. But I think I might be over-reacting. We still have a higher chance of a top-3 than 8+. :)

I also really like Sergachyev. A team that wants a forward might really like Nylander in the top 7. I think this draft goes 8-9 deep.

Matthews
Laine
Pulju

Chevy has the assets to maneuver in that cluster of 4-9, if there's a player he really likes.

Good point to the bolded.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd also like to say that I think that Trouba had a stellar stretch at the end of the season once he got more ice-time. Even with Stuart, he was fantastic. I think the extra ice-time, and some time of the PP was good for him. He's a player that needs a lot of ice-time to be most effective, I think.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
How do you know how much pressure they feel -- perhaps they feel pressure to win some for their great fans, not realizing that their fans apparently want them to lose.

Did other eliminated teams also have their top line play at this level after elimination?

Like all of us here, I don't "know" anything very much. We're just talking **** about hockey. I "wish" we were drafting higher even though it isn't a guarantee of success, and I "hope" the team looks as good next season when the games count as they have the past few weeks in games that really didn't count, but I really "know" very little.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know how anything is legit here, this alleged top line was playing in garbage games. We just don't know what to expect when the games matter and the stress is real. Just the way life is.

The line was originally put together something like 25 games ago (i.e. non garbage time) and were a forced to be reckoned with then. I know people are trying to keep expectations in check but they proved then and now that they are an exceptional top line with even more upside since both Scheifele and Ehlers are 23 and 20 respectively.

Build a very good 2nd line around Little and this team will scare many teams offensively next year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That top line was great, but anyone else feel you could put others on that line with scheif and wheels and we be fine? How about this for more balance?
Petan scheif wheels
Connor little ehlers
Perreault burmi staff
Lowry copp Dano/armia

edit: Petan looked good the one game with 20 plus minutes with Wheels, coulda had 3 goals. I think he's close to ready, this lineup would be a force IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'd also like to say that I think that Trouba had a stellar stretch at the end of the season once he got more ice-time. Even with Stuart, he was fantastic. I think the extra ice-time, and some time of the PP was good for him. He's a player that needs a lot of ice-time to be most effective, I think.

I agree, Whileee.

I also hope he starts the season with Buff.

Troubs-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

That's a quality top 4.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That top line was great, but anyone else feel you could put others on that line with scheif and wheels and we be fine? How about this for more balance?
Petan scheif wheels
Connor little ehlers
Perreault burmi staff
Lowry copp Dano/armia

edit: Petan looked good the one game with 20 plus minutes with Wheels, coulda had 3 goals. I think he's close to ready, this lineup would be a force IMO.

Nope. Can't imagine ESW not beginning the season together if healthy.

If Connor signs and makes the roster out of camp I would like him to play with Perreault. Not sure if a return to C is in the cards for him though.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
that line-up shows that lots of choices will have to be made. makes me wonder out loud if you keep Little or not. really horrible to say that. or is Frenchie tradeable (small contract, injured regularly). or, most likely, Burmistrov.
not in love with the PLS 2nd line. does nothing to excite me. 3 players that may or may not work well together.
but that's a pretty good 4 lines. no size, really, but i don't care.

Stafford, Burmi, and Lowry should all be removed longgggggg before Little and Perrault ever come up in discussion.

Wheeler-Scheifele-Ehlers became a legit #1 line, and a scary #1 line at that.
Will be neat to see who Little lines up with next year. i'm really scratching my head at that one.
Copp showed that he isn't just a plug. he may have some value. wondering out of him, Dano, Armia and Petan, which one cracks next year's line-up

I think he's more talented than Lowry and my vote would be for all 4 to be in the lineup.

I think the term "garbage time" applies to both teams. The Jets are playing under a different set of circumstances than they are in games that actually mean something TO THEM. They are playing with no real pressure. It's not just about how their opponents are or aren't playing. Our hot new number one line looks great right now, but will they look that good next year when they are playing tight and afraid to make a mistake because every point matters? We'll see. I hope so. We needed to put together a four game winning streak much earlier in the season for me to get excited about it. Doing it now is a bit of a punch to the gut really. In fact it's almost embarrassing - and I think Mo and Wheels even feel that way.

As far as the lotto goes, non of us "tank advocates" are deluded about the probabilities. We all know there's nothing guaranteed about it. It's all about improving odds and controlling how far you can potentially fall. Chevy does a good job with the drafting. The higher we draft, the better our chances are of Chevy getting the guy he wants. That's really the only positive left to gain from this crummy season...

Anyway, bring on the draft and Go Bombers Go! Enjoy the golfing Jets!

I can tell you one thing with certainty Scheifele will not be shooting at over 20% again. Maybe Ehlers improvement will offset that though.

Agreed, also the fact that we are almost certain to be subjected to 3rd line Thorbs, top 4 Stu, #1 Pav, and Stafford dragging down our 2nd line next year despite how good many of the kids looked in what many posters don't consider to be garbage time.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Matthews
Laine
Pulju

That might be too much risk for Chevy who isn't exactly known for being aggressive and who knows what that asking price would be for another team. Not like the Jets are loaded with an abundance of extra picks either.

He likely waits patiently to choose from everyone's leftovers.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That might be too much risk for Chevy who isn't exactly known for being aggressive and who knows what that asking price would be for another team. Not like the Jets are loaded with an abundance of extra picks either.

He likely waits patiently to choose from everyone's leftovers.

The Jets have both traded up at the draft and traded down before.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ugh could not take those announcers, so didn't finish the game....
In any case nice to finish with wins.
Hope next season sees improvement.
Also hope everyone at HF has an awesome summer.
Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad