Post-Game Talk: We're Number 6 - Jets win 4-3 SO

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I really hate watching hockey on Sportsnet, Mark Wheeler, seriously?

I really like how we did not give up and battled back.

We didn't even take a single penalty.

Yeah it was brutal. I just re-watched the game and they were getting player's names wrong on both team. At one point they figured out it was Blake Wheeler but then a little later on they went back to Mark.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maurice must be a negative nancy then, he threw water over these wins meaning anything more unequivocally than anyone in this thread has done

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice must be a negative nancy then, he threw water over these wins meaning anything more unequivocally than anyone in this thread has done

Are we still falling for Maurice's psychological mastery?

I don't think he cares so much about the wins, but he learned a lot more about his roster going forward from the past few weeks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Regarding feeling good about yourself and/or momentum going into next season, does anybody think that when Maurice or the team leaders do pressers in camp in September, that they will be talking about how great it was to finish the 15/16 with a 4 game winning streak? **** no! They will remind us how terrible this season was and that it is great to start anew.

Will any of the young players get caught speaking about the solid finish? I doubt it, other than getting the opportunity to play more and show off where they are in their development. This is the only win from how this has finished.

That's exactly how it should be.

But let's also realize that Maurice learned a lot about his roster over the past few weeks. Young players were able to show how they could play in larger roles. He saw what he has in his leadership group (Wheeler, Scheif and Buff). A few young players really blossomed late in the season with better linemates (especially Copp, Armia and Petan). He found a real #1 line.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are we still falling for Maurice's psychological mastery?

Is there a written guide on when to take Maurice/Chevy and their word and when to assume they lying/manipulating? It seems some people decide one or the other depending on whatever suits the argument they are pushing

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Is there a written guide on when to take Maurice/Chevy and their word and when to assume they lying/manipulating? It seems some people decide one or the other depending on whatever suits the argument they are pushing

Personally, I take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt, whether I like the statements they make or not. It's all double-speak when they're dealing with the media.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Personally, I take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt, whether I like the statements they make or not. It's all double-speak when they're dealing with the media.

I agree, some of Maurice's statements used to frustrate the hell out of me. In one ear and out the other is how I take his comments now.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I can't enunciate how frustrated this team has made me this season. 8 meaningless points right at the end to screw draft position odds. Yay for playing OK I guess... too bad that wasn't there when it mattered though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Nah, it's usually just common sense. Think about what you might say to motivate your team without worrying about telling the public exactly what you think and you'll get Maurice, and a lot of other NHL coaches.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

[mod] IMO if you figure Maurice is bull******** 100% of the time, then 95% of the time you'll be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Yes, if someone in a public-relations-facing capacity has lips that are moving, they're manipulating.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I agree with most of this. Ladd's moping around was likely a huge buzz kill for the group (and the uncertainty of an unsigned Buff).

I'm wondering how much of an impact Copp moving up and Lowry moving down in the lines has had. Seems like the late season upturn coincides with this happening.

There's also a Jets 2.0 theory which has the team having a substantially better winning record with Enstrom out of the line up. Not sure if I buy into that one though cuz his +/- is so good.

woah woah woah.
YOU like Copp now???
/dead

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Of course there will be players taken later that end up better than players taken earlier, but that is a form of ex post analysis that does not apply on draft day.
I’m not sure of you quite grasp the nature of a post-hoc argument, because this certainly isn’t one. In fact it cannot be one because we don’t even know the draft results yet, let alone which players work out and which ones do not.
The higher the draft position, the better the player Chevy is able to get based on his analysis, a priori.
What you should look at is how likely a prospect is to become a good NHL player. Trying to pick the “best†player is a fool’s errand because even #1 overall hardly ever becomes the best player drafted. If you get a good player you should be happy and if they are doing their homework the Jets should be able to get a good player. Drafting the right players and developing them properly is something you can control, you can’t control the lottery results. Successful managers, regardless of field, focus on the things they can control, and in this case getting a good player with the #6 pick is controllable getting the top pick isn’t.

Also consider. If the Jets are bad when they run out their young players it’s a pretty good indicator those young players are not as talented as we would how, so even if we get that top pick we are in Oiler territory where we don’t have the other pieces to actually win. If the young players do play well and win, there is still a chance at that lottery win and the probability of getting a good young player.

The 1OA pick is akin to having lotto max as your retirement play. Sure it’s good to how for but it’s much better to depend on things you can actually control.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00