GDT: Welcome Back | TB @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No. I appreciate his skill set although I'm not going to get excited about scoring rates based on 25 points.

It's just frustrating to see a player who should be a physical force play as passively as he does.
It surprises me too, because I know how he played in Ak Bars. But as someone else wrote, we don't know what Vincent wants from him, maybe he's afraid Dima will have too many PIM. Alternatively there are fitness issues, I mean Voronkov need to get used on many games and pace.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It surprises me too, because I know how he played in Ak Bars. But as someone else wrote, we don't know what Vincent wants from him, maybe he's afraid Dima will have too many PIM. Alternatively there are fitness issues, I mean Voronkov need to get used on many games and pace.
You can't be afraid to play the game. Penalties happen.

Tom wilson can put up over 20 goals and still push 100 PIM. Brad Marchand is a rat who has never had more than 97.

Teach him is play physical within the rules. Not soft like a kitten.

Reactions: NotWendell

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Vasilevskiy steadied them when they needed it.

Happy see Johnny with his mojo back.

Didn't think Elvis played a bad game. Voronkov's conditioning could definitely still be better, but for first game back from AS break, I didn't find it that bad. Hell, maybe he was tired from pulling the shark out of the water. I would be too.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You can't be afraid to play the game. Penalties happen.

Tom wilson can put up over 20 goals and still push 100 PIM. Brad Marchand is a rat who has never had more than 97.

Teach him is play physical within the rules. Not soft like a kitten.
But Wilson is an experienced player who has played in NA since he was a kid.Voronkov not, he needs to get used to it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean if you have nothing else to say, you can at least say they are trying.

The sad thing is this team is just poorly constructed with a ton of finesse players and not enough solid defensive players. That fall on management.

They really battled back physically. The hit parade Boone started in the second period was like vintage Dubi-Foligno Jackets.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I mean if you have nothing else to say, you can at least say they are trying.

The sad thing is this team is just poorly constructed with a ton of finesse players and not enough solid defensive players. That fall on management.
Jenner, Voronkov, Sillinger, Kuraly, Danforth, Texier, all these players are good in defense.
Foligno, Dubinsky and Anderson was more experienced. I think minimum Fantilli will still improve his defense.
Also you forget Torts was a coach.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
But Wilson is an experienced player who has played in NA since he was a kid.Voronkov not, he needs to get used to it.
Wilson also used to get 150+ PIM a game and he reined it in after a few years. If your game is going to thrive on physical play, you can't be soft.

Nick Cousins is literaly the guy everyone in the league wants to punch in the face and he's never had more than 41 PIM. Playing with an edge and the rules is seriously a skill you need to develop.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jenner, Voronkov, Sillinger, Kuraly, Danforth, Texier, all these players are good in defense.
Foligno, Dubinsky and Anderson was more experienced. I think minimum Fantilli will still improve his defense.
Also you forget Torts was a coach.
Then why can we never control puck possession in a game and give up so many shots?

We have played a soft game where they barely stand up for each other. Maybe it's starting to change a bit but Gudbranson is the only guy who played with grit for the first half of the season. he had to stand up for himself on the Cousins hit because nobody else would do it.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Then why can we never control puck possession in a game and give up so many shots?

Our system isn't intended to give us a lot of possession. We're a rush team offensively and a protect the middle team defensively.

We're starting to look like a team that could have a good forecheck, if we really approach it as a team. Right now it's only the 4th liners that really forecheck as a group.

We have played a soft game where they barely stand up for each other. Maybe it's starting to change a bit but Gudbranson is the only guy who played with grit for the first half of the season. he had to stand up for himself on the Cousins hit because nobody else would do it.

That's not true at all.

Guddy yelled "He's mine!" to his teammates on the bench.

Voronkov was a terror in the first twenty or so games. I don't know why he stopped.

We've had several other guys who aren't fighters step up. It happened tonight! They battled for each other tonight.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Our system isn't intended to give us a lot of possession. We're a rush team offensively and a protect the middle team defensively.

We're starting to look like a team that could have a good forecheck, if we really approach it as a team. Right now it's only the 4th liners that really forecheck as a group.

That's not true at all.

Guddy yelled "He's mine!" to his teammates on the bench.

Voronkov was a terror in the first twenty or so games. I don't know why he stopped.

We've had several other guys who aren't fighters step up. It happened tonight! They battled for each other tonight.
Like I said, maybe its changing but they played a soft game earlier this year. The system clearly isn't working if the are exclusively a rush team on purpose. We don't have the defensive talent to support it and we clearly aren't good enough at it on the offensive side when it takes the top 3 scorers on the team combined to match Kucherov's point total.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

- We talked about defensiveness and not puck control.
- None of those players were on ice.
Wilson also used to get 150+ PIM a game and he reined it in after a few years. If your game is going to thrive on physical play, you can't be soft.

Nick Cousins is literaly the guy everyone in the league wants to punch in the face and he's never had more than 41 PIM. Playing with an edge and the rules is seriously a skill you need to develop.
- Again, Wilson has played since childhood in NA. Voronkov not, so he must still get used.
- Wilson played in other team and a couch.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
- We talked about defensiveness and not puck control.
- None of those players were on ice.

- Again, Wilson has played since childhood in NA. Voronkov not, so he must still get used.
- Wilson played in other team and a couch.
The defense gets extra pressure and face more shots because we don't possess the puck much and don't win many faceoffs.

I'm still not buying getting "used to NA". It is a smaller ice surface that should actually help him be more successful with a physical game. Maybe he's playing soft because he still wants to go home. I don't know. I do think "getting used to North American hockey" should involve using the skills that got you here and should allow you to be successful.

If the coaching staff is asking him to play a certain way that is against his strengths then I really have to wonder exactly what does Jared Boll bring to the coaching staff?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like I said, maybe its changing but they played a soft game earlier this year. The system clearly isn't working if the are exclusively a rush team on purpose. We don't have the defensive talent to support it and we clearly aren't good enough at it on the offensive side when it takes the top 3 scorers on the team combined to match Kucherov's point total.

We score a surprising lot of 5v5 goals given how little we have the puck. But I want to change it because rush teams put a huge burden on their defense. Like you finish defending, and ten seconds later you have to start defending again. It's exhausting. Rush teams struggle in the playoffs too when teams tighten up the details.

I think we have a lot of guys that could be really good forecheckers if they are taught that game. All three of the Russians come to mind - big rangy guys that can read opponents. It's pretty much only Gaudreau and Laine that are incapable of doing it.

Reactions: Bookker

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The defense gets extra pressure and face more shots because we don't possess the puck much and don't win many faceoffs.

I'm still not buying getting "used to NA". It is a smaller ice surface that should actually help him be more successful with a physical game. Maybe he's playing soft because he still wants to go home. I don't know. I do think "getting used to North American hockey" should involve using the skills that got you here and should allow you to be successful.

If the coaching staff is asking him to play a certain way that is against his strengths then I really have to wonder exactly what does Jared Boll bring to the coaching staff?
Of course you are right bu it is not defense.Playing hard in Europe and playing hard in NA are two different things. Here the players are used to a similar game. And once again, there's a higher tempo. Next season will tell.

If the coach wants them to play more soft, there must be a reason.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I don’t think it’s getting used to NA .. at the beginning of the season he took quite a few penalties, from memory some resulted in powerplay goals against .. he cant really communicate, in a foreign land… from all accounts seems like a good kid and great teammate .. what Im saying is I think that’s made him a bid timid .. he can’t hear/understand how the officials are officiating the game. Honestly , the criticism highlights a much bigger issue with the team, rather than the player . There aren’t many guys on this team that jump into the battle when things get rough .. even though Voronkov is a hulking presence, he’s a rookie trying to fit in when everything is foreign

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don’t think it’s getting used to NA .. at the beginning of the season he took quite a few penalties, from memory some resulted in powerplay goals against .. he cant really communicate, in a foreign land… from all accounts seems like a good kid and great teammate .. what Im saying is I think that’s made him a bid timid .. he can’t hear/understand how the officials are officiating the game. Honestly , the criticism highlights a much bigger issue with the team, rather than the player . There aren’t many guys on this team that jump into the battle when things get rough .. even though Voronkov is a hulking presence, he’s a rookie trying to fit in when everything is foreign
This is true. if he's just trying to fit in right now and the other guys who he hangs out with most times play a soft game in addition to the rest of the team, he's being led by example. Texier could be more consistently aggressive too.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Better team won. We were relying on lots of shots of drop passes but didn’t have much to follow up on

One thing that drives me crazy about the Jackets is the drop pass. I wonder what our internal analytics say about how successful the drop pass is. Because it seems to me that we enter the offensive zone, execute the drop pass, and (if we don’t turn it over on the drop pass) take a shot that doesn’t result in a goal a very, very high percentage of the time. And it is not like the guy making the drop pass rushes to the net and gets a tip in after the goalie can’t handle the shot. I feel like I never see that.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Of what year?
giphy.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad