Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I love what the player brings right now, but I am concerned about how year 4 and 5 will look.
I'm not quite in the cap is insignificant camp but I am in the 'screw worrying about three and four years down the road' camp when we literally only have five guys now signed through next year, and teams are getting out of contracts all the time.

I wouldn't like it as much if it was above $5.5 million but we'll find out.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I really like him as a player and it will be nice having a smart board guy again. But yeah...I hope the cap hit isn't painful.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Having guys who are proven winners and big game players definitely helps a young team, I would have like a year or two less but so be it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’m a little scared to see the AAV at that term.

Likely going to be a bad deal, but it’s a necessity to add a player like him right now.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
This is probably too many years, but as long as the cap hit is reasonable I think this will be a good move.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Whatever he is making shouldn't effect anything the Devils are trying to do going forward. The money really doesnt matter at all.

I think you are right. Is the term too long? Sure. Will it really hinder us down the line? I honestly don't think it will unless the term is ugly.

Always someone around to bail teams out of contracts.

I think he helps now and is the type of player the locker room needs

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think you are right. Is the term too long? Sure. Will it really hinder us down the line? I honestly don't think it will unless the term is ugly.

Always someone around to bail teams out of contracts.

I think he helps now and is the type of player the locker room needs

Plus it wont be a flat cap throughout that 5 years. Which means the cap will go up and it will take up even less space then it will now when we have 23 million open.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Kinda sucks though to think Devils have been rumored as a landing spot for Tarasenko, Boeser, Garland, JT Miller, Nichushkin, Forsberg, finally Gaudreau, and this is the guy we get. Only passed 20 goals once in his career. Good player but closer to Nu-Andreas Johnsson than the game-breaking first line winger we were hoping for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad